Office of the Comptroller of the Currency Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Office of the Comptroller of the Currency Interview Questions

Updated Jun 20, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (New York, NY).

Interview

Situation, Task, Action, Result (STAR) format. Professional setting. sat in for a presentation on the OCC and mingled with current employees. Go in with memorized answers to the questions on glassdoor and you will be completely prepared. A lot of the candidates were extremely awkward so try to stand out by acting personable and social. Prepare a coupled of questions for the interviewers and presenters that show your knowledge and preparation to stand out further. They already think you're qualified for the position if they are willing to pay for your plane ticket to NYC so mainly they are trying to determine if your personality fits the mold. Look at the OCCs website, mainly their core values and mission to better tailor your answers to fit the personality that they are looking for.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in the OCC?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

The interview process was very lengthy. You apply online & submit all documentation (transcripts, resume, references, etc). They contact you via email after the app closes to schedule a test. You take the knowledge test first (very accounting heavy). If you pass you take the writing test. I thought it was simple. They let you know if you pass the writing within 48-72 hours. Then they email you to setup a phone interview. A few weeks later they schedule an in person interview. They fly you out & put you in a hotel & you fly back home the next day. In person interview is pretty much like any other interview. You also learn about the OCC. It's competitive but for good reason.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There's no negotiation.

Assistant National Bank Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

Interview

Process took about 2+ months. You have to take a multiple choice test then if you pass that you have to take a written exam. They will let you know by e-mail if you passed the written exam and are selected for a phone interview. After that you are asked to attend a career exploration day where they perform an in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had to perform research   1 Answer

National Bank Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

Interview

Applied online and was called for a phone interview. Next step was an in-person interview. Was asked standard interview questions. Three interviewers, each asking different prepared questions. Interviewers were looking for specific answers to questions. They gave no indication if you answered well or not. Didn't feel confident and was not sure that I would accept the job if offered.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

Interview

Very informal. Emailed my resume and received a response within the week. Quick phone call discussing my experience and interest in the agency. Follow up phone call a couple days latter to offer me the position. The entire process took two weeks.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

You apply online twice a year. You will be asked to select two locations from the four district offices. Do not select a location from two districts. You will only be considered for your first choice. If you really want to work for the OCC, select an undesirable location. There's plenty of opportunities to move internally. Self certify online that you have either a college degree (accounting, finance, economics, related field), experience, or a combination of both. Once you certify, you receive an email telling you to sign up for a knowledge test. The test has two parts. The first tests your knowledge of basic accounting, finance, and banking concepts. Know your debits and credits for this. The banking questions can be answered with common sense. You'll immediately know if you pass this part. The second part is a writing test. You'll receive a packet of work papers and you'll have to organize your thoughts and write a summary in a fairly tight time frame. The OCC writes in the active voice. "Management did this" not "this was what management did". Figure that out, know how to write a report (5 paragraphs) and you'll be golden. You'll find out in a few days to a few weeks if you passed that part. Next up is a phone interview. About 10 standard behavior questions. Don't panic and try to come up with thoughtful answers. Make sure you have your own questions for the interviewer. A few weeks later and you'll be invited to a hiring event. At the event, you'll have to sit through multiple presentations on what the OCC is, benefits, that sort of thing. Really think about if this is the place/career for you. After the presentations, you go into a panel (think 2 interviewers) interview. This is similar to your phone interviewer. The questions will not be technical in nature. Should last about an hour, most of which you should fill with asking your own questions. A few weeks after this you should find out if you got an offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to work with a difficult teammate?   1 Answer

Assistant National Bank Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in April 2016.

Interview

Written test, phone and in person interview. Mostly behavioral questions. Friendly and professional. Describe an ethical dilemma and how you handled it,Why do you want to work for the OCC.

Interview Questions

• Describe an ethical dilemma and how you handled it,   1 Answer

Assistant National Bank Examiner Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

Interview

After applying, you must take a accounting based exam. It consists of questions like "Which of the following is a current asset?" and other basic computation questions like "What is Company A's Net Profit?". It is simple and with some review, shouldn't be difficult. The computer tells you after the exam if you passed or not, which then directs you to the written portion. You are given several documents regarding a situation you will most likely deal with on the job. The instructions are clear on what they are looking for for this portion, so it is not hard. All you have to do is organize it in a way that's easy to read. Then, after 4 or 5 days, you will get an email with the results of the written exam. a week or so after the results, if you qualified, you will receive an email to schedule the phone interview. The phone interview was very behavior based. Questions in the interview questions section of the review. I haven't gotten my results yet, but it was a so-so interview because the conductor wasn't very sociable, more like a scripted interview.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you have worked on a difficult team for a project.   598 Answers

Assistant National Bank Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in February 2016.

Interview

Same thing every one else has listed about the hiring process before...2 part exam, phone interview, etc. I took my tests on Feb. 4 '16, and had my phone interview on Feb. 25 '16. They stated that it would take another week to hear back from the HR department to find out if I made it to the career day.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in the OCC and banking/finance?   2 Answers
    • Explain a time where you had to face a change in a professional setting and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Describe a major problem you had to face in the workplace and explain how you resolved it.   Answer Question
    • Are you willing to travel? Are you willing to relocate?   Answer Question
    • What do you expect to get out of this job?   Answer Question

Interview

applied online and got a job assessment.
    there two parts of test
    accounting test: super easy if you are business major or accounting. mostly definition and some calculation. just do a breft review on accounting 101, you will be good.

written test: nothing technical, they just want to see id you have the ability to summary 8 pages report into 1 pages.

See What Office of the Comptroller of the Currency Employees Are Saying

StarStarStarStarStar   Current Bank Examiner in Charlotte, NC

Pros: “Good colleagues. Good work life balance. Reasonable opportunities for promotion. Good benefits. Opportunity to see various aspects of banking and could be opportunity to take your...”“Good colleagues. Good work life balance. Reasonable opportunities for promotion. Good benefits. Opportunity to see various aspects of banking and could be opportunity to take your experience into the private sector for more money.” – Full Review