Office of the Comptroller of the Currency Interview Questions in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 16, 2017

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

Stage one is a two part test, financial and writing. Study even if you think you don't need to, there's a 50% passing rate. About a week later you get a phone interview that is all behavioral questions. For example, "Tell me about a time when you worked with a diverse group". If that goes well, then almost 2 weeks after the phone interview you will be contacted (if you pass) to go to Career Exploration Day. The process is extremely quick, which is nice. At CED you'll learn more about the position and then go into your interview. The day lasts about 4 hours and then you're left anxiously waiting to see if you got the job! I was offered my position exactly one week after my interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time where you have been told you were doing something wrong?   Answer Question

Pathways Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview was a panel of three people who were average workers. Two of them were not related to the position I was applying for other than the fact that they also worked in financial management. Everyone was very nice which can sometimes make you relax too much. Keep it professional and wear a suit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied on school job board. A couple days later scheduled a date to take their qualification exam. The exam was comprised mainly of accounting concepts for the multiple choice section. It also had a writing section where your main purpose is to concisely summarize an outstanding loan to your superiors.

After passing the exam (both MC and written), a phone interview was scheduled approximately 2 weeks later. The questions asked were your typical behavioral questions. If you do well on the phone screening, you get invited to the OCC career exploration day.

At the career exploration day, you go through presentations of what it is like to work for the OCC; ask questions, and what not. Then you have a final panel interview, which had similar questions to the phone screening.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied, got an email to schedule an exam, passed the exam, passed the written portion, received a call to schedule a phone screening interview, called a couple hours later to ask if I would accept a final interview. They flew me out to the location and there was a panel of employees who went over the job description and then had an interview with the deputy of my location I applied for.

Interview Questions

• When have you had to do research?   1 Answer

Application

Interview

I applied online one day before application was close. I received and email scheduling a test after two days. After I pass the test, I was contacted for a phone interview about a week later. Waiting for the second interview.

Interview Questions

• Described a difficult situation that you were in, and how did you resolve it ?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

1. Apply on USAJOBS
    2. Take Written and Accounting Test
    3. If you pass the tests, then you have a phone interview.
    4. If you pass phone interview, you go to an on-site in person panel interview.
    5. After interview you are notified if you got the job or not.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

I went to a recruitment presentation at my school. I applied through USAJOBS. Then I took the qualifying tests. The first was an accounting knowledge test which was pretty basic. If you have taken courses in accounting and review your accounting concepts, it shouldn't be difficult. The second part was a writing section. I was given a number of documents concerning a loan and was asked to write a report

Application

Interview

Situation, Task, Action, Result (STAR) format. Professional setting. sat in for a presentation on the OCC and mingled with current employees. Go in with memorized answers to the questions on glassdoor and you will be completely prepared. A lot of the candidates were extremely awkward so try to stand out by acting personable and social. Prepare a coupled of questions for the interviewers and presenters that show your knowledge and preparation to stand out further. They already think you're qualified for the position if they are willing to pay for your plane ticket to NYC so mainly they are trying to determine if your personality fits the mold. Look at the OCCs website, mainly their core values and mission to better tailor your answers to fit the personality that they are looking for.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in the OCC?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

The interview process was very lengthy. You apply online & submit all documentation (transcripts, resume, references, etc). They contact you via email after the app closes to schedule a test. You take the knowledge test first (very accounting heavy). If you pass you take the writing test. I thought it was simple. They let you know if you pass the writing within 48-72 hours. Then they email you to setup a phone interview. A few weeks later they schedule an in person interview. They fly you out & put you in a hotel & you fly back home the next day. In person interview is pretty much like any other interview. You also learn about the OCC. It's competitive but for good reason.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There's no negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

You apply online twice a year. You will be asked to select two locations from the four district offices. Do not select a location from two districts. You will only be considered for your first choice. If you really want to work for the OCC, select an undesirable location. There's plenty of opportunities to move internally. Self certify online that you have either a college degree (accounting, finance, economics, related field), experience, or a combination of both. Once you certify, you receive an email telling you to sign up for a knowledge test. The test has two parts. The first tests your knowledge of basic accounting, finance, and banking concepts. Know your debits and credits for this. The banking questions can be answered with common sense. You'll immediately know if you pass this part. The second part is a writing test. You'll receive a packet of work papers and you'll have to organize your thoughts and write a summary in a fairly tight time frame. The OCC writes in the active voice. "Management did this" not "this was what management did". Figure that out, know how to write a report (5 paragraphs) and you'll be golden. You'll find out in a few days to a few weeks if you passed that part. Next up is a phone interview. About 10 standard behavior questions. Don't panic and try to come up with thoughtful answers. Make sure you have your own questions for the interviewer. A few weeks later and you'll be invited to a hiring event. At the event, you'll have to sit through multiple presentations on what the OCC is, benefits, that sort of thing. Really think about if this is the place/career for you. After the presentations, you go into a panel (think 2 interviewers) interview. This is similar to your phone interviewer. The questions will not be technical in nature. Should last about an hour, most of which you should fill with asking your own questions. A few weeks after this you should find out if you got an offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to work with a difficult teammate?   1 Answer