OfficeMax Impress Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

OfficeMax Impress Associate Interview Questions

Interviews at OfficeMax

1.9

Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at OfficeMax (Toledo, OH) in February 2012.

Interview

What is an Impress Associate? They hang out at the printer station and make copies, and print items for people. They even design logos and stuff with the customer.

I got called in to do an interview for them. I got dressed up and everything.I went there and I was escorted to the furniture center (mostly desks and computer chairs). They told me to pick a chair and I sat and waited. The interviewer came and we began. He seemed to be casual, which put me at ease with the way he talked. He seemed laid back. He said that there are 6 questions and so we began.

Most of them were hypothetical questions like, How would you greet a customer, ect. Pretty easy stuff.

general tip -
link products to other products. For example (there are multiple questions that this can be applied too), one of the questions is, how would you help a customer? Somewhere in you answer you should suggest another item, like say if they are buying a printer, offer them paper and ink.

There was one Question that threw me for a loop:

Q - What have you done to change a co-workers bad behavior and how?

A - Luckily, I had dealt with people I didn't like at my past job years ago, so I could answer it easily, but it is not like this happens everyday and I only had one example. So be ready for this one.

Another uncommon question was:

Q - Sell me a product, any product in the store (I didn't have to walk around and pick one, just off the top of my head)

A - Pick a product, say what it does, and then offer another, like the printer example.

Interview Questions

• What have you done to change a co-workers bad behavior and how?   1 Answer
  • Sell me a product, any product in the store   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for OfficeMax

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at OfficeMax (Richmond, VA) in January 2009.

Interview

basic interview questions pertaining to customer service, problem solving skills, & ability to work independently & as a team member.

Anonymous Employee in Topeka, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at OfficeMax (Topeka, KS) in April 2009.

Interview

I was called by the manager of the dept. and we scheduled an interview. I came in and was promptly greeted and sat down for a one on one. The interview was not as easy as I expected because they were wanting past examples of situations where I was part of a team. Not to say it was a difficult Q and A, just different. They really stress that atmosphere at the store. I could tell the job would be busy but casual. The manager was very friendly and I was offered a spot right away. She simply had to forward it through the store manager. I got a call the next day to go get a drug test, and a few days later i was hired. I thought the whole process was quick, effective, and positive.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever worked on a team?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I really didn't have much room to negotiate. I probably could have got a little more money than I did, but at the time, I was making minimum wage and was able to start out a lot higher here.

Anonymous Employee in Sterling Heights, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at OfficeMax (Sterling Heights, MI) in August 2012.

Interview

Walked in the store, and they had me sit in the furniture section of the store. I sat down at a chair and desk and waited for the manager to come interview me. He walked in and said my name and shook my hand. He pulled up a seat and got started. (He seemed very friendly and was not intimidating at all when we started.) He began off with telling me "okay we're just going to ask you a few questions and take some notes, and do not worry, we are not judging you!" as he said with a smile. Which made me feel comfortable. He also had a copy of my resume in front of him, and he asked me questions regarding that(really easy questions, like school schedule and previous work experience). He asked me the questions, asked me how many hours I would like, and asked about my availability. He also told me he is multi-training people to work different areas of the store. It was a quick 15 minute interview and basically I was told I had the job. Oh, and he had me "sell" him something. I laughed and smiled and made it sound good, he handed me a pack of glue sticks to sell, and it was casual and he said it was good. Simple interview, nothing too hard.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you trusted someone. How did that turn out? Did you ever have someone betray your trust?   1 Answer
    • Explain a time you worked in a team.   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time you took initiative beyond what was expected of you?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time you had to get a difficult project done on time and how did you successfully complete it?   1 Answer
    • I want to test your selling skills. Something easy. Here: *hands pack of glue sticks*   1 Answer

Negotiation

The manager said "You will be getting paid 8.50 an hour, so once the drug test comes back okay consider yourself hired." I didn't even bring up negotiation, but it sounded like you can negotiate how many hours you want to work.

Anonymous Employee in Reading, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at OfficeMax (Reading, PA) in February 2011.

Interview

Application is online. If you are selected to be interviewed, you will be called into a store and have an interview with the Impress Supervisor. If you pass this interview, you will be interviewed by the Store Manager. If they like you, you will have to submit to a drug test and if you pass, they will offer you the position. The interview is pretty standard. Questions are like any other interview; tell me a time where you had to deal with a difficult customer, tell me a time where you solved a problem, etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what was your least favorite quality of your previous manager.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at OfficeMax (Orlando, FL).

Interview

The hiring interview process was very easy. They ask you if you are in this scenario, what would you do.. They also promote you to upsell stuff even if its not logical to the customers needs, which sometimes they get offended.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions are pretty common questions. See Above.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Horrible, straight up lied to me.

Anonymous Employee in Pocatello, ID

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at OfficeMax (Pocatello, ID) in January 2009.

Interview

The folks at the store were awesome. There was great communication all throughout the process, and expectations were very clearly laid out. Both the ImPress manager and the store manager participated in the process, and both were very easy to talk with.

Interview Questions

• I'm sorry, but there were no questions that I found terribly challenging.   Answer Question

Negotiation

This phase was like the rest: relaxed and very conversational.

Impress Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at OfficeMax.

Interview

Went through simple interview process, and answeed the scenarios that the interviewer asked me, and was hired pretty quickly after it.

Anonymous Employee in Brookfield, WI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at OfficeMax (Brookfield, WI) in July 2009.

Interview

All I did was show up looking like a corporate head (suit laptop bag and laptop) and scared the crap out of the Manager and had her freaking out to store associates who thought I was there for a surprise store visit. Then she found out I was there for an interview so she relaxed a bit and asked me what school I went to, what I studied, where I was originally from because she heard an accent, said I would be a great addition then said I was overqualified and recommended me for the supervisor position at a new store opening up. (got strung along by that other manager for a month before the one I interviewed with hired me on as part time.

Interview Questions

• Pretty easy seeing as though I threw her off guard walking in as if I was corporate.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Told her what I previously got paid at my previous place of employment and she offered me a $1.50 more ($9.50/hr) then got told she started my other associates at $10.25/hr.

Anonymous Employee in Lewisville, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at OfficeMax (Lewisville, TX) in September 2010.

Interview

Attire - I wore dress pants and a smooth, ironed, light colored, thin polo shirt and an undershirt.
    Begining - Pleasant greeting, employer introduces himself, than I introduce myself.
    Middle - Employer asked about previous job experience, if I had trouble is managers or colleagues previously. He also asked me to try and "sell" him a product.
    End - He asked me how much I wanted to work for. Turn this question around by asking him what is a reasonable price. He let me know when Ill know if I got hired ornot within 7 days. He let me know within an hour.

Advice - Dress business casual, practice your salesman skills, be a personable character for the employer, talk about past achievements, and how you delt with previous colleagues and employers. And when hey ask about pay, turn the question around by asking the employer what is a reasonable pay.

Interview Questions

• Describe a past accomplishment.   1 Answer
    • How much do you want to work for?   1 Answer