OfficeMax Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 13, 2016

2.6

Merchandising Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at OfficeMax (Chicago, IL) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview was simple and centered around giving good customer service. They were straight forward and not anything you wouldn't expect from a entry level position.The interviewer will write notes as you talk about your experience with customer service. This will most likely be the first part of the interview, as the second will be scheduled at a later date.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?
      How do you give good customer service/
      Tell me a time where you gave/received excellent customer service.
      Answer Question

Retail Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at OfficeMax (Phoenix, AZ) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied online and within 4 days I got a call for an interview. What I didn't like was the interview took place in the middle of the store. There were not that many customers but still felt a bit unprofessional. The interview did not take very long as well.

Retail Stock Merchandising Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at OfficeMax in March 2016.

Interview

They asked a few unnecessary questions that didn't seem to fit the job description. I felt rushed while answering the questions. It was the toughest interview I've had to date.

Interview Questions

• what would you do if you had to work as a leader. how would you handle the team? and why would you and would you not enjoy leading?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at OfficeMax in January 2016.

Interview

Read straight from a questionnaire. Did not ask any personal questions or anything about me. Questions were "Explain a time when..." or "Tell me about a time you..." even though I told the interviewer that I had not had a previous job or experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you knew you were right and had to convince someone of that.   Answer Question
    • Sell me anything in this office   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to keep something confidential   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maplewood, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at OfficeMax (Maplewood, MN) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied on the 13th of June and got no response back after a week. I called in a week later and the manager I spoke to on the phone said the hiring manager was on vacation and said he'd leave a note to check my application. I waited for a week or 2 and go no response back so I called back and spoke to the hiring manager. She had told me that any applications from the 15th and up got deleted. She told me to reapply for the same position and she'd give me a call the following day. Not to mention, the guy who said he'd leave a note did NOT leave a note for the hiring manager. She didn't find any notes waiting for her. The next day, she'd called me and set up an interview date for the next day around noon. I go to my interview and I ask an employee about the hiring manager and for my interview. She told me to wait by the furniture area and the manager would be with me. I waited approximately 5 - 10 minutes and a regular employee shows up. She pulls up a chair and uses a desk that was on the floor and interviews out into the public. Apparently, there was no office to privately interview me. She asks me the basic questions and writes everything down. She goes to the manager and the manager told her to tell me that there was another candidate in line to interview and they'd get back to me. I'm grateful to have known that I wasn't hired because of the experience I've had; waiting for 3 weeks just to find out my application was deleted, got interviewed by a regular employee, and getting interviewed out on the floor rather than an office. I will never apply to another store that connects with this or Office Depot.

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maple Grove, MN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at OfficeMax (Maple Grove, MN) in July 2015.

Interview

This interview must've been a joke because it was pretty funny. Arrived to interview on time, wasn't interviews until 10 minutes later. Interview was in furniture section of the store- that is so weird. Interviewer was coloring little symbols on paper when I answered questions, not sure what they meant. I was told I'd get a call for interview #2. To be honest I walked out of the store thinking I hope they don't call me. The people that worked there are weird and the environment is dark and dreary. I had bad feelings from the moment I walked in. Low and behold I was never called again for a second interview as I was told. The pay isn't good either. Hours were limited.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?
      Are you good with computers/video games?
      Previous experience?
      Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Apache Junction, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at OfficeMax (Apache Junction, AZ) in July 2015.

Interview

Applied online
    Got a call pretty soon after to come in for an in person interview.
    The interview went okay, lots of questions about experience and times when I had worked as part of a team. Was asked to try to sell an office supply to the interviewer. Was asked about availability.

Interview Questions

• Questions about experience and times when I dealt with working in a teamwork environment.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marquette, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at OfficeMax (Marquette, MI) in July 2015.

Interview

Asked canned questions didn't seem to be good communication between district mgr and corp office when asked what I would do if hired to make improvements I should have been more honest and pointed out deficiencies like office was very dirty and not organized department displays were not up to standards . Never heard back after 2nd interview should have been a decline thanks for interest etc not very professional

Interview Questions

• What would you do if hired in first 30/60 days   1 Answer

ASM Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denton, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at OfficeMax (Denton, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

was told that i was not a candidate because i was over qualified, then find out they hired their drinking buddy for the position. found this to be quite a good ol boy system

Interview Questions

• wasnt asked any cause i dont go drinking with the boss   Answer Question

Retail Sales Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at OfficeMax in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was called the next day by manager for an interview the following week. I came 20 minutes early just to leave a good impression, and the manager there was old and seemed irritated. So I waited for a few minutes and he had the assistant manager interview me.

The interview questions were very basic, but the interviewer himself seemed very uninterested and lazy, saying he just came from a 5 day vacation and didn't even look over my resume or information prior to. In my head, I already didn't want to work with these people.

Overall, of the 8 or so computer randomized, general questions he gave me, I answered most of them after only 2 responses. So he tried to get the manager but apparently, he was doing a "project" at the time we initially scheduled the interview, and I'm thinking "yeah... no. I'm way over this kind of job."

He claimed that he will call, and the next morning I see a computer generated email stating "the decision has been made not to proceed with your candidacy." I'm really okay with not working there, but the fact that they declined me is outrageous since they were the ones that were not prepared and unprofessional. But then again, it's just OfficeMax.

I shouldn't expect any better for a $9/hour salary haha.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to deal with a difficult situation.   1 Answer