Ofgem Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 17, 2017

2.9

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Technical Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ofgem (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in August 2017.

Interview

In this instance two senior managers on the opposite side of the table, furiously scribbling notes albeit trying to engage with you, while you give your answers. Not hostile, just quite tricky questions based upon the STAR response process. Generally the questions they ask are tightly packaged by HR and they have to write down your responses. I was surprised there were no HR folk present, so it's probably "get the answers, and did you like them" kind of format. I don't think they have much scope for asking questions off-script.
    Note: I think I failed to get an offer because I forgot to re-profile my LinkedIn account to reflect the type of employer I was seeking. I still had it seeking work with a very creative and dynamic working environment, when I should have tailored it to the civil-service. duh!

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when your actions resulted in serious consequences for the people involved, how you reacted and the outcome.   1 Answer
    • Can't remember the specifics, but questions regarding working in a regulatory environment, maintaining quality when deadlines are to be met, how did you achieve something, what did you learn from it etc.   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Ofgem (London, England (UK)) in August 2017.

Interview

Dates for closing application were changed mid way through application.

Method of application differed from the normal Ofgem method.

Interview held by 2 senior members of staff who had no idea what the job entails, questions were genetic and not tailored to the job

Department Head - Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ofgem in July 2017.

Interview

Shanbolic from start to finish. Applied online ,3 weeks later told had been shortlisted and to select interview date online. Logged on and unintentionally could see an internal Ofgem note about two other candidates including their names. Location on interview slot gave name of building (Regus Building)but no other details. Contacted HR recruitment team who then sent two emails on same day giving two different addresses for the building. Had to prepare a detailed presentation and then an interview for 75 minutes. That was 4 weeks ago and have heard absolutely nothing. Result of interview will be a No but after candidate has put time and effort in common courtesy would be to acknowledge that and advise the result. Very poor experience of Ofgem and I will continue to tell my negative story to my wider network.

Interview Questions

• Asked to present on how to run the operation for 10 mins then 5 mins of questions. This was followed by competence questions on Communication, Continual Improvement, Operational execution and process reviews. Looked as it was all very scripted and probably prepared by HR.   Answer Question

Assistant Events Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Ofgem (London, England (UK)) in July 2016.

Interview

I applied online and had all notifications via email. It took about 3/4 weeks before getting the intial email invitation to interview. I then had to book a slot. I had to travel to London and all the people I met were very nice and friendly. One of the people interviewing me was there via video conference which was a bit disconcerting for a bit. I had no test and no presentation, however I did prepare a great deal for the interview - I researched Ogem and made sure that I had redone all my interview examples to follow the STAR format. There were 4 general competancy questions and then 2 that there relevant to the actual job. Make sure you keep the job description when you apply because the competancies they are marking you on are shown on the job description

Knowledge Assistant and Information Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Ofgem (London, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied online and received an email requesting for me to book a slot for an interview about a month later.

Three people interviewed me, but I did not know who would be interviewing me in advance.

I am still awaiting feedback, three weeks after I was notified I did not get the role. the whole process is very computer automated.

Interview Questions

• The questions were all the same that have been posted on here previously, so that helped. They were all competency based questions and you had to use the STAR format to answer them. What do you know about Ofgem. Give an example of how you managed conflict. Give an example of a time you made a change.   Answer Question

RHI Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ofgem in November 2015.

Interview

Application process: CV and Statement. 2/3 weeks later received email to attend an interview (panel), which lasted around 45 minutes. Pleasant environment. Professional and cordial. I did not get an offer. Later I requested a feedback, which was given over the phone a week later. I learnt that I was not successful because some of my answers did not followed the STAR format and also some of the examples were not 'good' e.g. contextualised with the job in question. I think that the feedback provided was a very fair.

Interview Questions

• Why do want this job? What do you know about the company ( both expressed in a more elaborated fashion), and then a set of competency based questions (topics covered: costumer service, communication skills, etc).   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Ofgem (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Competency based interview with a panel of three. No background questions at all. In general they were kind but did not seem to care about my skills. Very basic questions based on the role description.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ofgem (London, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

Initial question was - Why do you want this job?

It was a competency based interview based upon the competencies listed in the role profile. 4 competency based questions followed by 3 role specific questions.

It was one hour long and it was conducted by a panel of three people. They were very friendly and so long as you have done plenty of preparation, the interview is a breeze.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Ofgem in May 2015.

Interview

After arriving to the reception and hearing from the waiting room as the receptionists had a good laugh at my name the whole process was a bit of a pain and not only for me.
    Just before the interview, suddenly, I was informed the I had to take a technical test. Which was fine but the time allocated (30 mins) was not sufficient.

After waiting for 15 mins when the test finished I was invited into a room with three interviewers. One from HR and two from the department. After yet another sarcastic comment about my test they asked (read) me a few prepared question which they must had found on some web site and rather irrelevant to the position advertised. As soon as I was asked the first couple of questions I felt like this was the wrong place to work for a professional. It would probably be OK for a contractor or someone who can do the talk...

In the end, judging from interviewers body language (especially HR rep) they could not wait to get out from that room. I probably felt the same.

From my experience, when I had been interviewed and interviewed the others this interview was the example how not to do this. There were not challenging or open questions. Just "examples of this" and "examples of that".

Needless to say, I did not get the job. I would probably decline even if I did.

I provide the questions I was asked to the best of my recollection. You judge the answers but they are different from I had to come up with during the interview.

Interview Questions

• Give us some examples of your analytical thinking.   1 Answer
    • Do you deal with the budget at your current work place?   1 Answer

Analyst, Electricity Distribution Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ofgem (London, England (UK)).

Interview

The whole interview lasts approximately 1h30. The first half-hour consisted of an Excel test. The remaining hour is a competency-based interview. The interviewers want to see if you meet all four competencies. Use the STAR approach to answer these questions!! There are then more technical questions pertaining to the role.

Interview Questions

• -According to you, what information should be included in XYZ report?
      -Should all electricity distributors be regulated in the same way?   Answer Question