Oliver Wyman Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 9, 2017

3.3

16 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Associate Interview

Interview

Took over six months.

HR was great. Not so sure the employees understand discrimination. Last round/final round was case where the solution I recommended was more conservative in the sense it was more cautious bc the industry was more cautious. Interviewer deemed me a bad fit for the company because I was "too conservative." Not sure if that follows diversity rules but it sure raised my eyebrows to hear that kind of feedback.

Interview Questions

• Standard case questions. Delivery skill varies so be prepared to work around that live.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Oliver Wyman

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

Long and friendly but sometimes have tough questions. You need to really understand the firm's culture because it's a lot easier to connect with the interviewers that way. Try to practice case as many as possible. Behaviour question is also a big part. People are really nice though so that just be yourself and don't panic. Work with the interviewer on the case.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a tough situation and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Interview

The first interview comprised a half-hour fit and half-hour case interview with two different consultants. I received straightforward and helpful comments from both of the interviewers and enjoyed the experience. If I were to re-do the interview though, I would have prepared more in advance, as I was caught off guard by a few of the fit questions.

Interview Questions

• If you were at a dinner with a client and they asked you to share something about yourself, what would that be?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied via website, took two weeks to get an HR phone screening, and then two more rounds of phone interview with principals (one fit and one case), eventually get invited to final round, meeting 5 people from the team - two partners (fit base), two engagement managers (case interview), and one HR talent manager. The entire process took two months to wrap up.

Interview Questions

• One case is about how a bank structures its compensation (not traditional consulting type of cases but more like a discussion); another case is about competitive response in the retail industry; the last case is around an airline facing increasing costs (operation focused)   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (San Francisco, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

The interview process began with a quantitative aptitude test (conducted online), which was straightforward and tested high-school level math skills. I continued on to one case-based interview (conducted by phone), which was also straightforward. I was invited to continue on to another case-based interview, but decided not to pursue the opportunity further. Overall, everyone I dealt with was pleasant and helpful.

Interview Questions

• A pharmaceuticals firm is deciding which of two drugs to continue developing, and which of three markets to sell that drug in.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (Boston, MA) in December 2010.

Interview

As usual First Phone interview and then 1:1 Interview. Cases were of average difficulty. Got a feedback back that I should structure my cases more, but my business acumen was very good. Interviewing again in Jan 2012

Interview Questions

• A Pharmaceutical Company bought a start up that has come up with a new non-invasive product that can replace the gastroband technology used to reduce weight in Obese people. Tell me the market size, custome segmentation, how to price and the possible risks.   Answer Question
    • An M&A case: whether a Pharmaceutical company should buy a medium size biotech company   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman in January 2010.

Interview

The hiring process was quick. Two rounds of interview, one with local office and another with the office of interest. Total 2 interviews for 45 min each during first round of interview and 5 interviews during the second round, three of which involved partners.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (New York, NY) in October 2008.

Interview

Multiple interviews with various levels in the organization senior to me. Overall met/phone interview with 5 partners, 4 associate partners and 2 associates. Partners were more concerned about fit and career switching whereas the others were focused on the case based interview. The cased based interviews are pretty easy to master but you need to spend a bit of time prepping on a framework for how to ask the right questions. Did not feel particularly challenged by any of the subject amtter questions.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to switch to consulting rather than going back to industry?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiation was very strange, rejected the first two offers as too low and finally a higher offer came through.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moscow (Russia)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (Moscow (Russia)) in December 2016.

Interview

Extremely long and unstructured interview process combining 6 stages.
    Pleasant interviewers. very engaged and interested in your on the job experiences.
    No cases, as would be expected in consulting interview.
    Zero HR support whatsoever.

Interview Questions

• Several Brainteasers and lots of specific practice questions. 6 interviews in total   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (Shanghai, Shanghai (China)) in October 2016.

Interview

First Round: several behavioral questions (not unexpected, not hard) and a case (marketing size first and then the case, no math). The interview lasts 45 minutes and the interviewer is pretty nice, doesn't mean to trick you by any means. Questions are generic and expected. Case is not hard. The whole process feels like a relaxing and engaging conversation.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral: why consulting? why OW? why are you a good fit to OW? What is your biggest weakness?
      Case: Estimate the number of gyms in Shanghai   Answer Question