Oliver Wyman Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 29, 2017

3.7

117 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman in January 2017.

Interview

I had a first phone interview, about 30 minutes with a recruiter. This was about 15-30 minutes just to go over some HR questions. I then had a 1 hour long phone interview scheduled about 3 weeks later. The first 30 minutes was a case interview and the second 30 minutes was a resume and behavioral interview with a second interviewer. The case interview was the hard part for me, i was able to solve a business case situation but the calculations part was a bit hard. You have to be able to justify your recommendations with accurate numbers, not just an estimate.

Interview Questions

• What would you recommend for the client and why? Justify your recommendation with some stats.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Oliver Wyman

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online (through the website) and was contacted for first round phone interviews (one resume-based and one case interview). The case was very much profitability, and the resume-based was straightforward (Why consulting, most analytical project, leadership, impact, etc) They promptly got back to me the next day, calling me to final round interviews in New York. Final round consisted of 1 case-based interview, 1 resume-based interview, 1 Q/A session with Consultant and 1 case-presentation (with 30 minutes to prepare structure). Format was similar to first round interviews, except that interviewers were more higher up people (principals and partners, as opposed to associates and consultants). Case-Presentation was a bit tricky with the partner interjecting every 30 seconds with questions. Overall people were extremely nice and friendly, and very helpful throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• Imagine you are running for President of an African country. How would you win?   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Interview

I went onsite for final round interviews. I had the worst interview experience. The consultants interviewing me were stuck-up and made me feel very inferior to them.

I received a phone call from one of my interviewers telling me I did not receive an offer. When I asked for feedback about my interview, she answered, "I told you you didn't get the offer. Please don't start arguing with me." From Bain, BCG, and McKinsey, I have always received feedback from my interviewers when I asked for it. The way Oliver Wyman handled my interview process was very unprofessional and truly shocking.

I would never want to work with the people I interviewed with at Oliver Wyman. Anyone looking to work there, I definitely do not recommend it.

Interview Questions

• Case Presentation:
      They give you a case prompt and give you 30 minutes to prepare and 15 minutes to present. They are VERY unclear about what exactly they are looking for. The interviewers come in and ask a lot of questions about your recommendation.

Behavioral:
      Tell me about a time you set a goal and how you reached it
      Tell me about a time you worked with a difficult teammate
      Why Oliver Wyman
      Tell me about a time you used your analytical skills   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied through on-campus recruiting and the process took 2 weeks. I had one case study interview and one behavioral interview, both on campus. The case was interviewer led and the behavioral was a basic behavioral interview.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Interview

Applied via campus recruiting portal. Was selected for an on-campus interview, which consisted of one behavioral interview and one case interview. The behavioral interview was evaluated on a matrix rubric and it felt unnatural since the interviewer was clearly writing into that rubric the whole time. The case interview was simpler than most case interviews. Received a call soon after to inform me I did not move onto the next round.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied through school process and ultimately received an on campus interview. Went through a first round consisting of 1 fit and 1 case interview, then a final round consisting of a presentation case and some more fit interviews. Ultimately the people were friendly, and the cases were more open ended than other firms.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Great experience, met with very nice and smart people who truly wanted me to succeed.
    They were very reactive to let me know when I made it to the next round or when I got my offer. The culture looks amazing and everyone I met seemed genuinely happy to work there.
    I look forward to starting to work with them.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you set a goal for yourself and failed.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman in October 2015.

Interview

Two rounds of interviews in total. 1st round on-campus with one fit and one case interview. The case was based on a small shop around campus. Final round was on-site with three interviews: one normal case interview, one presentation case, one fit interview. The presentation case was given at the beginning of the day, when you have 30 minutes to work on it, and then you have to present it using a white board in front of two interviewers.

Interview Questions

• What experience/achievement on your resume are you most proud of?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Applied through campus portal. First round on campus, consisting of one behavioral and one case interview. Second round was at the office, consisting of one behavioral, one case, and one presentation case. Second round interview was significantly more challenging than the first. Generally, everyone was very friendly and engaging. However I suspect the presentation case was also a stress interview.

Interview Questions

• What percentage of continental US landmass is covered by roofed buildings?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (Chicago, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

tough back to back 45 minutes phone interviews with the first one being a case and the second one being a behavioral interview. have to practice cases before hand otherwise will be difficult to pass to the next round.