Oliver Wyman Entry Level Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Oliver Wyman Entry Level Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Jun 21, 2017

3.5

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

I had a wonderful experience interviewing with them. They were rigorous, asked fun exciting questions and were clear about who they were. There were two interviews. The first was a basic case interview and the second was four different parts.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Oliver Wyman

Entry-Level Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Interview

Nothing out of the ordinary. 30-minute FIT with one interviewer (senior consultant) and then a 30-minute case with another interviewer (partner). They were both nice, but the partner was more laid-back and really wanted me to think for myself.

Interview Questions

• FIT portion involved the standard questions: Why consulting, why OW, questions about teamwork, time management, etc. The case question was presented a bit differently and did not fall into the traditional market sizing, profitability, etc. framework so be prepared to think and be creative.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied through university job board and heard back within a few days. First round interview was two 30 minute, back-to-back interviews (one behavioral and one case). Overall, interviewers were nice and did not want to trick you.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to prioritize your commitments.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (Chicago, IL).

Interview

First round was one resume-based interview and one case-based interview. Their cases tend to have less data and be more about "what things would you need to look at for this problem?"

Final round was a one-on-one case with a partner, a resume based interview, and one written, presentation case. For the presentation case, we were given 30 minutes to prepare a strategy for a case that was one written page, front and back. Presentation was ~20 mins of presenting to two consultants, and ~10 of them asking questions to you.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to work with someone you didn't get along with very well.   Answer Question

Application

Interview

2 rounds of interviews, first round was on campus, one 30 min fit and one 30 min case interview. Fit asked lots of challenging questions like "tell me about a time when you found it difficult to work with your team" and "what is one downfall that your teammates would say you have." Case was more of a discussion with a partner.
    Second round was a super day In the NYC office, one fit, one non evaluative Q&A session, 1-1 case and presentation case. The presentation case was just a normal case, they gave you 30 mins to prep on your own, and then you presented your approach for solving the problem to 2 partners on a whiteboard for 15-20 mins while they ask you questions. The entire super day took 3 hours. While it was difficult and slightly nerve wracking, I had quite a positive experience.
    Overall the interviewers were very friendly, and everyone I've talked to at the firm are very nice. A lot of them gave me an hour of their time prior to interviews to answer my questions, despite how much work they had. Additionally, the entire process only took a week! Very well organized, speedy response. I had my first round on a Tuesday, heard back that night about results, and had the final round the following Friday and heard back over the weekend.

Negotiation

No need to megoiate, they gave a competitive offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (San Francisco, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied through on-campus recruiting. Was chosen for a first-round interview which took place on campus. The interview Was an hour long. First half hour was the case interview with a consultant. It was an interesting profitability framework case. The second half hour was a behavioral interview with a different consultant.
    The interview process was great. Everyone was nice and friendly. They got back to me the same day offering constructive criticism and ways I could improve for future interviews.
    The entire process seems to be very fast and efficient. Apparently, the entire process from first round interview to an offer takes a week.

Interview Questions

• Imagine you are an Oliver Wyman consultant and you have been invited to a dinner party with some clients. How would you answer if you were asked by ones of these clients: "What makes you unique?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (Dallas, TX) in October 2011.

Interview

I applied through on-campus recruiting at my university.
    Before the first round interview the company held a presentation session a few hours long with the selected candidates to explain what to expect from case interviews. Then the night before the first round they invited us to a networking event to meet the consultants.
    First round consisted of 2 case interviews.
    The second round was in Dallas and the company took care of arranging travel and accomodation. The night before the second round we had a dinner to network with the consultants from Dallas.
    The second round consisted of 3 case interviews and 1 behavioral interview, each about 45 mins long.
    From my interactions with the company I believe that the corporate culture is very welcoming and that the people working in Oliver Wyman are friendly and supportive. I really liked the atmosphere.

Interview Questions

• Which kind of business would you open? Why?
      What would be the capital expenses involved?
      Answer Question
    • Would you quit your job to open an ice cream stand?
      Why?

Entry Level Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lisbon (Portugal)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (Lisbon (Portugal)) in March 2017.

Interview

Got an internal referral and went to the recruiting process. First stage was an online test - 30 questions in 45 minutes if not mistaken, similar to a GMAT. First round was 2 interviews back-to-back with FIT, case and Q&A

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself? Why Consulting? Why Oliver Wyman? What do you think a consultant must have? What is important when working alone?   Answer Question

Entry Level Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (Singapore (Singapore)) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online, and received the first round interview invitation 1 week after the application deadline. The interview was 1 week after I received the invitation. The interview session consists of two 30 minute one-to-one interviews. One will be a Case based interview and the other will be a CV based interview. Both interviewers were really nice. For the case one, when I couldn't find a clear direction, the interviewer guided and helped me with some hint.

Interview Questions

• The case was to suggest whether or not should the author publish his book in a new market, and if yes, how to maximize the sales of the book   Answer Question
    • CV based questions were quite standardized: internship experience, teamwork and leadership, problem solving and time management
      1. self-intro
      2. what did you do during the internship
      3. tell a time when you set a goal and achieved it
      4. tell a time when you had conflict with your teammate, and what was the result
      5. tell a time when you had many things to do and how did you manage your time to achieve all
      6. tell a time when you influenced others' direction

Entry-Level Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (London, England (UK)) in February 2016.

Interview

CV -> Online Test -> 1st Round Interview -> Final Round Interview
    Interview consists of case studies and competency questions.
    First Round consists of 1 case study (30 min) and 1 30 min competency interview.
    Final Round has 1 case study (individual, 30 min), 1 panel case study (2 interviewers, 1 hour) and 3 30 min competency based interview.
    I did very well in the first round but the panel interview in the second round was a bit odd. I couldn't understand the question well and the interviewers asked plenty of questions before you can digest the information. The other interviews were not tough.

Interview Questions

• Why do you choose consulting instead of your degree subject?   Answer Question