Oliver Wyman Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 22, 2017

3.4

36 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman in February 2016.

Interview

I interviewed on campus and had two 30-minute interviews. One was exclusively behavioral and one was primarily case-based. The case was strategy-based and involved a retail chain and the profit impact of a potential expansion. I never heard back one way or the other, but a classmate was called later that evening to schedule a final round for later in the week.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Oliver Wyman

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman in February 2016.

Interview

1) Had an interview, consisting of a case interview and a behavioral/fit interview.
    2) Moved onto second rounds, which consisted of a presentation case interview and another resume-based behavioral interview.

The recruiter was very fast and efficient in coordinating both interviews, and I thoroughly enjoyed meeting all the people at Oliver Wyman. I had a very pleasant interview experience with them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

I applied through campus recruiting. First round interviews were one 30min case and one 30min behavioral. Both interviewers were very friendly, but in the case part I got stuck in the qualitative section (he kept pushing me to say more answers and ideas, but I guess I just missed a key answer he was looking for). We ran out of time before getting to any quantitative parts. Behavioral section was very standard and easy.

The interviewers were very nice, and even offered feedback via email when I asked for it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (New York, NY) in December 2015.

Interview

Met at career fair and was invited to onsite interview in their NYC office for Oliver Wyman Labs. Had four back to back interviews: 2 case interviews, one data based, and one normal software engineering technical interview. Being new to case interviews I practiced around 10 beforehand and felt adequately prepared--but you can never get enough practice! Overall process wasn't bad but because it was such a long day (5+ hours) it felt pretty long. Atmosphere is typical, stuffy consulting atmosphere but the people seemed nice and enthusiastic about what they do. In the end they gave me a strange rejection saying that their current internship role wouldn't be a good fit for me.

Interview Questions

• Given this sample dataset, what sorts of questions would you want to have answered?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (Dallas, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

Applied through University recruiting. First round on campus (1 case, 1 behavioral). Pretty easy and straightforward. Went to second round in Oliver Wyman office- had behavioral interview, case interview, and presentation case.

Interview Questions

• Why Oliver Wyman? Why consulting? How do you start a business?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Interview

Two separate phone interviews - one case interview and one fit interview. Fit interview was behavioral and focused on typical teamwork questions - ie biggest accomplishments in a team, problem solving as a team, challenge facing a team. Also one market sizing type question. Case interview was much harder and rather than being a typical operational question, was focused on taxes and government regulations.

Interview Questions

• The case interview covered how the government might recoup lost tax dollars from tax evasion.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online, and found out a few weeks later that I was selected for an interview.

First Round:
    Two 30-minute phone interviews, both conducted by alumni of my school. One behavioral interview, and one case interview. They really weren't that difficult, but by this point I had done 8+ interviews with consulting firms and was really in my groove. Case was interviewee-led.

Final Round:
    One 60-minute in-person presentation/interview. First, you are given a prompt and a few slides and have 30 minutes to prepare a presentation, then 2-3 consultants/partners from Oliver Wyman come in and listen to your presentation (in the instructions, it says your presentation should be 10-15 minutes, but I don't even think mine lasted 10, and I still got the offer). You are also given a whiteboard and encouraged to use it for your presentation. I would really recommend doing this, and having most of your stuff already written out before your interviewers come in, but leave some things (like maybe key numbers) blank to fill in as you are giving your presentation. Use color to organize things! As always with presentations, make sure you have a story that logically connects everything you did/thought about/wrote on the whiteboard. I would recommend that you remain standing for the presentation, and also for the questions they ask you after you're done with your initial presentation. I only sat down once it was my turn to ask questions about Oliver Wyman.

In general, the cases weren't that hard and were not super data driven. They want you to make reasonable assumptions and just run with what you're given. Definitely have a plan for what you would have liked to do, if given more time, or what other information you would have found valuable too.

Interview Questions

• • Why consulting?
      • Why Oliver Wyman?
      • Just general stuff about my personality, and how I behave in teams etc. Do your research and know what they're looking for so that you can say the right things!   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (Charlottesville, VA).

Interview

I applied through on campus recruiting and received a first round invitation within a week. First round interviews involved two back-to-back 30 minute sessions - one with a case led by a consultant and another behavioral interview with a partner. Second/final round included another behavioral component with 2 partners and a presentation instead of a case (had to look at case materials for 30 minutes and gave presentation to partners).

Interview Questions

• Healthcare case: Why do you think hospitals in Silicon Valley use a pay by service model?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman in February 2015.

Interview

Took about a month with multiple tele-interviews. HR is extremely responsive and the interviews go through Partners as well as some of the consultants. The interview goes both ways and you have an opportunity to find out about them as much as they want to know about you.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in Management Consulting? Why are you interested in Oliver Wyman.   Answer Question

Application

Interview

I come from a non-target school so the interview process happened over the course of 2-3 weeks. I did two phone interviews during the first week -- one case, one behavioral. I received a call back after around 4 days, and flew in for a final round the following week.

Interview Questions

• I had never done a phone case interview, so it is definitely worth making sure you can communicate clearly over the phone.   Answer Question