Oliver Wyman Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 19, 2017

3.5

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online (through the website) and was contacted for first round phone interviews (one resume-based and one case interview). The case was very much profitability, and the resume-based was straightforward (Why consulting, most analytical project, leadership, impact, etc) They promptly got back to me the next day, calling me to final round interviews in New York. Final round consisted of 1 case-based interview, 1 resume-based interview, 1 Q/A session with Consultant and 1 case-presentation (with 30 minutes to prepare structure). Format was similar to first round interviews, except that interviewers were more higher up people (principals and partners, as opposed to associates and consultants). Case-Presentation was a bit tricky with the partner interjecting every 30 seconds with questions. Overall people were extremely nice and friendly, and very helpful throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• Imagine you are running for President of an African country. How would you win?   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman in January 2017.

Interview

I had a first phone interview, about 30 minutes with a recruiter. This was about 15-30 minutes just to go over some HR questions. I then had a 1 hour long phone interview scheduled about 3 weeks later. The first 30 minutes was a case interview and the second 30 minutes was a resume and behavioral interview with a second interviewer. The case interview was the hard part for me, i was able to solve a business case situation but the calculations part was a bit hard. You have to be able to justify your recommendations with accurate numbers, not just an estimate.

Interview Questions

• What would you recommend for the client and why? Justify your recommendation with some stats.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in July 2016.

Interview

Made it to final round interviews, the format is an individual case, presentation case, and a fit interview. The individual case was more open ended than other cases at other firms, so it was definitely challenging structuring the analysis given the number of factors at play. We received 30 minutes to prepare for the presentation case, which let's you take more time to consider and develop your frameworks for a fairly broad question. The questions asked I think mirrors what a client would ask, so they really question your assumptions that you sometimes make subconsciously especially when under stress. A fairly challenging process overall, but nice people.

Interview Questions

• Case (confidential so I don't think I can share, they collected all papers)   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Interview

Zunächst Online Mathetest a la GMAT. Bei guten Abschneiden folgt Einladung zum Gespräch. Bei mir waren es drei Interviews: 2 hauptsächlich zur case Bearbeitung mit consultants und principals und eins hauptsächlich zum personal fit mit einem Partner.

Interview Questions

• Wann hatten sie das letzte mal eine. Gruppenkonflikt und wie haben sie sich dabei verhalten?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Great experience, met with very nice and smart people who truly wanted me to succeed.
    They were very reactive to let me know when I made it to the next round or when I got my offer. The culture looks amazing and everyone I met seemed genuinely happy to work there.
    I look forward to starting to work with them.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you set a goal for yourself and failed.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (London, England (UK)) in December 2014.

Interview

Online test and two rounds of CV/case interviews.

Cases were relatively straightforward but required a degree of creativity. There were several CV interviews and some of them were quite challenging.

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Interview

Applied in October after a campus recruiting event, and got invited to a numerical and verbal test. I was invited for one (final) set of interviews exactly on the deadline they set, so it was quite transparent at all times. Everybody was very friendly and down to earth.

The math test was much harder than any I had done before for other firms, bar one prop trading firm. Much like the GMAT problem solving questions, but 650+ level only. It's worth revising your geometry from high school if it's been a while. The verbal test was also much like the GMAT. I didn't finish either of them.

I had 3 case and 1 CV interview back to back, each 30 minutes. 2 cases were very hard considering the short time and quant heavy, with lots of data and information given throughout the case, requiring quick mental math. Another was more conceptual, brain teaser like, testing your understanding of a basic data set and how different plots of it might look. The CV interview was very standard.

Interview Questions

• A4 paper has the property that when folded in half, it has the same ratio of width to height as before. Can you tell me what that ratio must be?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (London, England (UK)) in December 2010.

Interview

Very friendly people, seven interviews in total plus numeracy test and group interview.

Interview Questions

• Interesting case study about the transportation sector.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation necessary

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (London, England (UK)) in January 2011.

Interview

CV screening --> numeracy and logic reasoning test --> CV screening --> first round interviews (case + CV) --> second round interview (case + CV)

People were wonderful - best firm I've ever interviewed with. Very down to earth, unlike some arrogant competitors.

They host a dinner for people shortlisted for the second round, then a dinner for offerees. Great chance to meet employees and ask them about the company.

Interview Questions

• The usual brain teasers - no need to prepare in advance.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (Austin, TX) in October 2013.

Interview

This process started at my university's career fair. I met recruiters and handed them my resume, and then proceeded to apply online. A week later, I was offered to take the quantitative analysis test online. This is a test conducted online and you are given a restricted time to answer math/logic based questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (Dallas, TX) in September 2013.

Interview

Applied through campus recruitment, took online numerical reasoning test. 30 questions, 20 minutes, wrong answers hurt you, and you can skip ones you don't answer.