Oliver Wyman Senior Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 6, 2017

3.8

10 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (San Francisco, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter and was intrigued even though I was not actively looking. Had a brief screening and scheduled a back to back interview for the following day. A case followed by a behavioral fit interview. Recruiter was not professional and case interviewer seemed annoyed when he was introducing himself. As a potential client, I'm not impressed.

Interview Questions

• Case: your friend invented an additive to gasoline that increases the mpg by 10% and costs $.30. Advise him how to bring it to market.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Oliver Wyman

Senior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Interview

Very broad case interview questions. Everyone was kind, sharp and fairly laid back. HR was always quick to let you know if you made it to the next round (same-day).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

1. Applied online
    2. Quick call with HR, which was a 30m behavioral interview
    3. First round interview: 30m case which focused on Market Estimation and 30m Behavioral Interview
    4. Final round interview: 45m Panel Case Interview (with 45m preparation time), 45m Case Interview, 45m Behavioral Interview

30m Market Estimation Interview was a quant heavy estimation interview
    45m Panel Case Interview was with two OW consultants and I had to present them my approach on a Flipboard
    45m Case Interview was a straightforward case with a Partner

Interview Questions

• Determine an approach to determine Amazon Prime's profitability? How would you approach for improving it's profitability?   Answer Question
    • You own 300 ATMs in Manhattan, determine their profitability. How do you maximize their profitability?   Answer Question
    • Estimate market for baggage carts in US airports   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you failed; Tell me about a time when you led a group to achieve a common objective   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a recent business event that intrigued you and what do you think about it   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Interview

Great process. Very very efficient!
    Applied online as well as flagged my resume through a current employee. Got a call after 4 days by the HR.
    First phone screen by HR about resume.
    Then, 2 phone interviews back to back. One fit and one case + industry knowledge
    Final round had one fit, one panel discussion and one 1:1 case interview.

Great process. I really liked the people I met. Although i was looking for a specific industry they tested by consulting skills across they board along with asking industry specific questions to gauge my knowledge

Interview Questions

• - Panel discussion on long term strategy for Amazon prime.
       - 1:1 case on banks and risk involved with various finance products like mortgages, credit cards auto-loans etc. small quant problem at the end of the case.
       - phone interview included a small case to gauge estimated impact of oncology products patent loss expected in next 5 years   Answer Question

I got another offer from one of the top 4 firm which I decided to take.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (New York, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

I had one informational interview with an HR representative, two back-to-back phone interviews with principles (one case and one behavioral) and three back-to-back interviews in the NY office with partners (two case and one behavioral). One of the final round case interviews was a panel interview where I had 45min to prepare and then had to present my answer to a partner and a principal. I was able to leverage general case interview frameworks for this one. The other case interview was more of a brain teaser only requiring logical thinking.

Interview Questions

• Describe an entrenched process at your old job that you were able to change   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (Chicago, IL) in April 2012.

Interview

By far the most professional and efficient company I have interviewed with yet. I went through an initial screener with a partner, who then put me in touch with HR. I then took an online qualitative test and got past that. Next, they schedule a case interview over the phone with a Sr. Consultant. After getting past that step, I had another case interview over the phone, this time with a manager. Both cases were pretty straight forward and I was surprised to see how little math each of them had. After that, they scheduled the final round interview on site. This consisted of 4 different interviews, 2 case and 2 fit. The fit were very basic with no real surprises or hard questions. However, the cases were VERY specific to the healthcare industry for which I was interviewing. One was inpatient operations and the other population health. Having never worked in either of these settings within the healthcare industry, I struggled with each of them. In the past, every case interview I have done was set up in a way that you did not have to be familiar with the industry they take place in. However, I don't see how someone could have got through either of these without having prior knowledge or experience in the field. I got the call about 3 hours after the final interview and was told I wasn't getting an offer. Very disappointing, but I can respect the speed at which they moved and OW's HR staff actually responding to emails and correspondence.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (New York, NY) in September 2011.

Interview

Interview process for an experienced hire is (1) a round with an HR representative, (2) a final round of 3+ interviews. They are playing with the interview structure a bit (more a panel), but you can expect an all fit interview (regular interview questions) and a case interview.

Interview Questions

• Case interview questions are specifically geared to be logic based than test background knowledge. There are no brain teasers, no quick mental math, or "how many golfballs in a boeing.." questions. Case questions do ask you to be structured in your thoughts and analysis.   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madrid (Spain)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (Madrid (Spain)) in January 2017.

Interview

Long long long long long process. It took them 6 months from start to finish. If you are in a rush I do not recommend going on this process. I recommend to do this process while you are already at another company.

Interview Questions

• 2 Cases. One of them was very easy and the other one was easy too but you have to do it the way they want you to do it, no more, no less. That's it.   1 Answer

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moscow (Russia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (Moscow (Russia)) in February 2016.

Interview

Very long process. Took almost a year to local an interview spot after successfully past numberical test and received interview invitation. The interview consisted of two 30 minutes cases. So in total it takes no more than 1.5 hours. Travel expenses are not covered for first interview round. In February they very interviewing a lot of people. So I guess they have enough projects, most of them now focusing on cutting costs and improving profitability.

Interview Questions

• Calculate how much could company afford to pay for rent so that it would make sense to open an Sporting facility in small Russian town.   1 Answer

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Munich, Bayern (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (Munich, Bayern (Germany)) in June 2015.

Interview

Three first-round interviews in the morning, three more in the afternoon. All six interviews with partners. Five of the six interviews included cases, the last one was used exclusively to answer questions about the firm. Between the two rounds lunch with consultants and candidates. Case interviewers were demanding, but also forgave the occasional lapse.

Interview Questions

• Standard case studies, partly candidate-, partly interviewer-led.   Answer Question