Want a Free Job Posting?

Interviews for Top Jobs at Omnigon Communications

Candidate Interview Review

Mobile Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Omnigon Communications (Santa Monica, CA) in August 2015.

I recently spent a week interviewing for a mobile developer job with Omnigon. What attracted me to the role in Santa Monica was that it was focused in Apple's new SWIFT programming language (which any iOS dev should be rapidly getting up to speed on) and the role was very flexible and primarily telecommute (with periodic onsite and face-to-face visits), which was absolutely perfect for my current life situation. I'm not 100% certain if Omnigon will allow remote for any jobs you interview for, but at least they might always be open in that regard The way Omnigon works their interviews for mobile developers will be this: the recruiter will spring a few technical screening questions on you during your initial call (none of which should be difficult, the only one I goofed on was the push notification payload one below). The next hurdle will be a 30 minute phone call with another mobile developer, where they'll ask somewhat more in-depth technical questions. Should you pass the 30 minute phone call, the last technical phone call will be with the Director of Mobile, who came to Omnigon by way of a Ukrainian mobile development shop they acquired. He'll want to do a one hour Coderpad.io (live coding) exercise, and the focus for my interview was on implementing a doubly linked list (with add, delete, print and possibly reverse functions starting from a head node). Unlike most folks from that part of the world (who can sometimes be challenging to collaborate with), I was actually really happy with my conversation with this guy and I was looking forward to him being my direct boss. Honestly, everyone I spoke with really seemed like great potential co-workers. The Director of HR was also really friendly and he took time out of his European vacation to answer almost all of the questions I had. Perhaps I lucked out with the particular people I spoke with, but I can honestly say this was one of the most pleasant interviewing processes I've had in recent years. Which is what made my last conversation (with the CTO) somewhat jarring: he brought up policies and called out concerns that raised red flags over the otherwise perfect job opportunity. Besides the official reason I had to decline, things any candidate should be aware of will be these: any benefits will only kick in on the first of the month following the date you hire in; you only start accruing your two weeks per year vacation **after** you pass a 90 day "probation period"; the major client for the Santa Monica office has the toughest NDA terms I've ever encountered: you will not be able to disclose the client's name, nor exactly what you did within that particular client's app (which means your portfolio will have a permanent black box or black hole around the period of time you're working at Omnigon). Lastly, I got a distinct & uncomfortable "pressure cooker" vibe -- lots of things to get done in too short a time and a lack of a decent work/life balance. I discovered my first technical interviewer had resigned a couple days after speaking with me, and he had only lasted at Omnigon less than six months. Hopefully my experience with the Omnigon interview process will help you to prepare to pass your interviewing day. If you find any of the information in this review helpful, please let me know by voting "Yes" on the "Helpful?" question below (this helps to motivate me to be as detailed as possible).

Interview Questions

• What is the maximum payload size for a push notification?   1 Answer

As I explained above, it was incredibly hard to make the decision to let this job offer go. The money was right, almost everyone I spoke with was exceedingly friendly and personable, and I wanted to do fun & challenging work with the team and the project they had me in mind for. I was able to talk myself through the concerns I listed in the "be aware" section above, but the objection I couldn't resolve came down to what I think is probably the most prohibitive exclusivity terms I've ever seen in any employment agreement anywhere in my career: a new Omnigon employee must agree to terminate any and all related **and unrelated** work that leads to any kind of income outside of Omnigon. I see management's point (they want any and all of their employee's coding time above & beyond 40+ hours per week to themselves and their clients - who they bill hourly), but there were no possible exceptions to be offered for personal apps for the app store, prior work, previous non-Omnigon projects who might want a minimum amount of non-competing follow-up work. Even open source contributions are discouraged. As a comparison, Apple both encourages open source contributions and gives managers the latitude to permit employees to do non-competing, non-Apple-work-time-stealing side projects (which I had permission to do when I scored an offer a couple years prior). To add insult to injury, while Omnigon requires two weeks notice to quit, they reserve the right to fire their employee immediately, meaning that terminated employee could be left high & dry, completely vulnerable financially, to the whim of the client's needs and the mood of Omnigon's management. I'm certain most U.S. employed engineers who sign this agreement either don't look closely at the six page agreement, or they simply hold their noses while signing it (and continue to do a few unrelated or personal things on the sly). If I were their CTO, I'd encourage or even sponsor side projects for employees (as long as they either benefit Omnigon directly, or they did not compete with or take away time from any efforts Omnigon or their clients do), as that gives Omnigon developers a chance to stretch their legs and pick up new things Omnigon could take advantage of. Oh well. If you're reading this far, good luck to you!