Ontario Power Generation Interview Questions in Toronto, ON | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 24, 2017

32 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Business Analyst/Supply Chain Co-op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pickering, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ontario Power Generation (Pickering, ON (Canada)).

Interview

I was interviewed by 2 people at OPG Pickering. Questions were non-technical in nature. They were both friendly and most of the interview like a basic conversion. I'm still waiting on a response from them.

Project Engineer/Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ontario Power Generation (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

There were two interviewers. One was the person I would report to while the other was a technical colleague. The interview lasted about an hour and the process was pleasant and cordial. There were about 10 questions most of which were behavioural in nature with a few technical ones at the end. The material on this site is good preparation for an interview

Interview Questions

• * Tell me about a time you did something that made a process more efficient
      * Describe something you did or didn't do that caused a project to go over budget
      * Describe a time you had a conflict with a co-worker and how you handled it
      * Describe a time you were given an important task on a tight schedule and how you managed it   Answer Question

Nuclear Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pickering, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ontario Power Generation (Pickering, ON (Canada)) in January 2017.

Interview

I received an interview invitation email a week before my actual interview. The interview was mainly behaviour-based. Interviewers took turns to ask questions. Refreshments were served after the interview. Overall experience was fantastic.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to apply your analytical skills and critical thinking skills to solve a problem.

Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Modification Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pickering, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Ontario Power Generation (Pickering, ON (Canada)) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied through agency in early November, 2016. Received request for interview in early December, 2016. Got job offer 1 week later. Started 2 weeks after interview (end of December, 2016).

Note that I already had my OPG security clearance, and this may have contributed towards a swift hiring process.

I was Interviewed at Pickering Nuclear Generating Station, by 2 hiring managers (no HR because applied through agency). They had a booklet with behavioral questions that they have to ask in order to rank candidates, and a list of technical questions prepared.

Lastly, I personally think a lot of 'Modification Team Leader' interviews (or contract position in general) are conducted during this period (December). I suspect it is because this is their end-of-fiscal-year, and they have a good indication of how much budget they can spend for next year, and how many staff they can hire.

Interview Questions

• Combination of behavior (~80-90%) and technical (~10-20%). Note, some technical questions are for people with past experience. New grads/contractors/etc. do not need to worry about knowing the details of these. Also, for behavioral question, use past examples (i.e. what you HAVE DONE), not what you would do.

Background-based Questions:
      Tell me about yourself?

Behavioral Questions:
      Tell me about a time where you improved an inefficient process?
      Tell me about a time where a member was being unaccountable on a project?
      Describe a time when you were faced with a challenging situation and how you handled it.
      Tell me about a time where you contributed significantly toward a project?
      Describe a time when you had conflict with a co-worker.

Technical Questions:
      Describe the Engineering Change Control process.
      Describe the 5 phases of the Modification Process.
      Describe the name and agreement that OPG has with its unions.
      Describe the steps and documents you would take/complete if a modification needs to be carried out.   1 Answer

Engineering New Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pickering, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Ontario Power Generation (Pickering, ON (Canada)) in November 2016.

Interview

This was a brief behavioural interview. OPG was very clear with their instructions and process that they gave in my invitation. On the day of, I was invited into the lobby, where the receptionists check over your references and security check documentation. I then got to sit and chat with the other potential hires and previously hired Grads.

The interview itself was very relaxed. They offered me water when I came in. Unfortunately, they would not disclose the names of my 2 interviewers beforehand- so I was put on the spot trying to interact with them. One is has an engineering background, and the other has an HR background.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where a group member wasn't pulling their weight on a project   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you contributed significantly toward a project   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you improved an inefficient process   Answer Question
    • Was there anything you wish you had done differently on a recent project?   Answer Question

Manager, Isotope Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pickering, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ontario Power Generation (Pickering, ON (Canada)) in December 2016.

Interview

Interview consisted of a panel of 3 - VP Supply Chain, Director of Isotope Sales, and the Chief Supply Officer. It was a behavioural interview intended to draw on previous experiences with actual examples. The Chief Supply Officer was unprofessional. He arrived late to the interview, kept shuffling through papers throughout the interview and continuous kept checking his cell phone. He made it very clear that he did not respect my time or that I was going to get a job offer within minutes of his arrival. I'm sure he already had someone in mind from his network which was why he went out of his way to make the interview difficult for me. Too bad, I really liked the VP Supply Chain. Someone I could see as a mentor and learn a lot from. Back to the drawing board. Maybe the Chief Supply Officer was intimidated because of my work experience, I'm a professional engineer, have an engineering degree, experience in manufacturing, and a MBA and he had neither of these. Don't understand how that guy makes $378K / year. Unreal.

Interview Questions

• Provide an example of a time when you had to do something strategic and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Why are you interested in this position?   Answer Question
    • If you aren't hitting your sales target in Q3 of a fiscal year, what would you do to try to hit the department's revenue by year end?   Answer Question
    • What are you looking for? It looks like you change jobs every 2 years.   Answer Question

Electrical Control Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whitby, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ontario Power Generation (Whitby, ON (Canada)) in June 2016.

Interview

applied on line- waited forever... was made to do an on line aptitude test, three seperate tests, then was contacted weeks later to be at an interview in a weeks time. Filled out a bunch of security clearance stuff as well. The people were not as friendly as I expected.

Interview Questions

• describe a time when you made a mistake.   Answer Question
    • Some technical questions. use this meter and show how you would measure across the coil.   1 Answer

Developmental Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ontario Power Generation (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2016.

Interview

Applied through school website. After about a month, I got a phone for setting up an phone interview. It was a phone interview with two managers on the other side of the line. Lasted about an hour. It was mostly behavioral based questions, and some from my resume and projects.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had conflict with a co-worker.   Answer Question

Senior Credit Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Ontario Power Generation (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2016.

Interview

called directly by senior manager, arranged in-person interivew time, received a detailed email, replied as confirmation, a week later panel interview with senior manager and director, 60 minutes, submitted a reference check form during interview. very straightfoward process

Interview Questions

• What do you know about OPG and what area do you see potential for improvement?
      What's your career plan and how does OPG fit into that?
      Tell us about yourself.   1 Answer

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pickering, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Ontario Power Generation (Pickering, ON (Canada)) in June 2015.

Interview

Interview lasted for about 45 minutes. It was with the hiring manager and the manager of the controls section. The interview was at the Pickering location. I got a response within 2 weeks of the interview process.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about OPG?   1 Answer