Ooyala Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Ooyala Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Ooyala

3.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ooyala (Mountain View, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

This was a classic "google style" interview and not in a good way. It is also a very long and grueling interview process. Even with all the folks they have you interview with, it seems (?) the decision is with one main person who comes in with a computer and asks you to code on the spot. Based on my observations and comparing the parts I did well and the ones I didn't, I think they're looking for pure high volume coders and not really well rounded software engineers with end-to-end mentality. Good luck!

Interview Questions

Ooyala Response

Apr 9, 2014 – Staffing manager

Thanks for the feedback. We actually value ALL the interviewers feedback. Coding is just one part. While we do has some specific needs well rounded folks are always in demand. Best of luck in your... More

Other Interview Reviews for Ooyala

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ooyala (Mountain View, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

The recruiter was completely professional and efficient. I came in twice. Following the first interview I sent a follow-up note elaborating on one technical question - the interviewer mentioned that he was specifically impressed that I'd given it more thought and provided a superior solution. My meetings happened promptly. People were cordial and all questions were appropriate and directly related to the job.

Interview Questions

• Think about Facebook - you have a list of friends and each of them has a list - how do you come up with a list of friends-of-friends?   2 Answers

Sep 22, 2014 – Staffing manager

Glad to hear you enjoyed the process. Sorry it didn't end in an offer. Best of luck in your search

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Ooyala (Plano, TX) in November 2015.

Interview

A short introductory call with HR.
    An online coding test. 3 (easy, moderate, hard) coding problems I finished only first 2 (more like 1.9 I should say). And few general language multiple choice questions. 2 hours I think.
    Onsite interviews. 3 x 45mins. Including one with hiring manager. All technical. First abt programming, second abt architecture, third abt both.
    All in all a very pleasant experience. Everyone spoke quite candidly and spent some time selling Ooyala, successfully of course.

Interview Questions

• Write code to find common items in 2 lists (not sets). In languages of choice.
      And some other such algorithm questions.   1 Answer
    • Architectural problem solved in past projects. And general open ended discussion on various architectural topics.   Answer Question

Nov 13, 2015 – Global Director Talent Acquisition

Welcome to Ooyala. Thanks for the review!

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ooyala (Santa Clara, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

The whole interview process is so professional and been organized very well. The recruiter is very responsive. All interviewers are very nice. When you cannot find the solution of questions, they are very happy to give you some hints. It is very helpful as during the interview, I was little bit nervous and cannot think as normal.

Interview Questions

• design questions, data structure questions, paint house question.   Answer Question

Negotiation

prepare with algorithm fully and not just focus on the final solution. Need to understand how to get that.

Oct 5, 2015 – Global Saffing Director

Thank you so much for the feedback. Happy to hear you enjoyed the interview process. WELCOME TO OOYALA!

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ooyala.

Interview

Applied in LinkedIn and got a response from the recruiter quite quickly.

1st interview was with HR, he asked common questions and salary expectations.

2nd interview was scheduled but nobody called me, so after I contacted recruiter I've got a call from somebody else (not the intended interviewer) and I was told that the interviewer is currently not available so I was asked to reschedule the interview. After rescheduling on another day finally I've got a call from the Project Manager and we had a 10 min chat about technologies and methodologies I used at work, nothing special.

3rd interview was purely technical and lasted 1 hour. I was given 2 tasks to code: first one is a simple task about integer arrays and 2nd one was more difficult one, I had to code a variation of the quicksort.
    After completing these I was invited to the 4th step.

4th interview was with technical recruiter and same project manager from the step 2. We talked about my current projects, skills and the possible tasks which I would have to perform on this role.

Finally I was told that they decided to put on hold that position and 1 month later I was told that they are cancelling that position.

Interview Questions

Ooyala Response

Feb 12, 2015 – Staffing manager

Sorry the process was less than smooth. Unfortunately headcount plans can change. We will keep in touch should the headcount need open back up