Ooyala Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Ooyala Software Engineer Interview Questions

3.3

28 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ooyala in September 2016.

Interview

Pathetic voice. The voice was not clear at all. I had to repeat his words again and again. I didn't find him friendly and he missed one interview date also though he apologized for that. Bad interviewer and my hard luck :(
The questions were from resume and the one coding question.

Interview Questions

Ooyala Response

Mar 13, 2017 – Global Director Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the feedback. I am so sorry to hear this was a bad experience. I will work with the mgr and interview team to improve the overall experience. Best of luck

Other Interview Reviews for Ooyala

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ooyala (San Jose, CA).

Interview

I did not have a good experience. In phone interview wasted 30 mins just talk about my related work, which I have already explained to recruiter. Finally, he asked a coding question he explained it properly and took at least 10mins. Although, the question explanation was good. Finally, I could not solve the problem because of time constraints and got panic.

Interview Questions

• Given : Array of integers {1,2,3,4}, map of {1-->a,2-->b..26-z}
      Output : {a,b,c,d},{l,c,d},{a,w,d}...etc..all combinations   1 Answer

Jan 6, 2016 – Global Director Talent Acquisition

Sorry for the poor experience. The recruiter feedback should have been shared with the phone interviewer. Its normal for the interviewer to spend a few minutes on past exp but 30 min is a bit much... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Ooyala (Santa Clara, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and the process from then to the finish was 4 days long. I had 2 phone screens, first one with the team lead and the second with another engineer on the team. Fairly easy in difficulty, not too bad. I was called on site the following day for about 5 rounds of interviews that lasted from the morning till 4pm. Everyone here was pretty laid back and relax. The work environment looked awesome and so does the general community of Ooyala. Most of the in person interviews were not so bad, however there were some difficult ones. The recruiter was really nice and so were the employees at Ooyala, the entire process was neat. Unfortunately, they said that I was in the middle of a hire and no hire so they decided not to hire.

Interview Questions

• Given an unsorted list of integers, from 1 to N, find the duplicate number. (There is only one duplicate)   Answer Question
    • There are 2 input files given, with no relation to one another. One file is encrypted with some mapping that is unknown while the other is a book written by Shakespeare. Write an algorithm that finds the map that decrypts the the encrypted file. Some rules to know are that only characters 'a'-'z' and 'A'-'Z' are encrypted, all other characters are left alone. And no two characters have the same encrypted mapping, that is to say that the mapping is one-to-one.   Answer Question
    • Given a binary tree, do a level-order traversal. Print a new line after each level in the traversal.   Answer Question
    • Given an n x m matrix [ [1, 2, 3], [4, 5, 6], [7, 8, 9] ] print out the spiral matrix. That is, return all the elements of this matrix in spiral order.   Answer Question
    • Write an algorithm for malloc and free.   Answer Question

Oct 14, 2015 – Global Saffing Director

So sorry it ended up not being perfect match. Please keep in touch as we have an ever changing set of open reqs. Perhaps a future role will be a good match. Thanks for the feedback

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ooyala (Santa Clara, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Got initial call from Director of Engineering, then followed by one technical phone interview which is mainly focus on coding and algorithm, the question was very challenge for me. After the phone screen, recruiter called me right away to tell me the next step is onsite interview. During the onsite interview, I meet 4 engineers and hiring manager, the interview questions are all about system design, algorithm and coding. It was really great experience to walk through the problem with them, the interviewers won't just throw the problem to you then set there, they actually solved the problem with you together, I got feeling that they are future "co-worker", not just interviewers. In hiring manager round, he made very clear picture about what Ooyala's technology, business, current challenges and direction to me, and answered bunch of my questions. Lastly, super nice recruiter went through all the interview stages with me, very efficient in the hiring process, friendly and response my question quickly. Next day of the onsite interview, I got the offer! Overall, this is my best interview experience so far.

Interview Questions

• Recursion, system design, math and some interesting coding problems.   1 Answer

Oct 5, 2015 – Global Saffing Director

WELCOME TO OOYALA. Great to hear you were able to talk with the director (Dan, right?)

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ooyala (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Met with development and executive team. Had a great session. Computers are Mac OS X. Environment is MySQL. Servers are Ubuntu. Local environment includes vagrant.

Interview Questions

Ooyala Response

Jan 6, 2016 – Global Director Talent Acquisition

FANTASTIC! Welcome to Ooyala!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ooyala (Dallas, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

First, we are grouped on class room and gave six algorithm questions. They takes one week to review and then on site interview. I think they are very stress on the ability of creativity.

Jul 31, 2015 – Global Saffing Director

Thank you for the feedback. Best of luck in your job search.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ooyala (Santa Clara, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Started off with a recruiter screen, asking about the current job description, salary expectations etc,
    followed by a 1 hour technical phone screen with an engineer. Which lasted for about 45 minutes.
    I was then invited to a full day onsite, for around 5 hours..

Onsite had heavy emphasis on recursion and system design. Had to code on a mac for one of the interviews..Overall people were nice to talk to. Atmosphere seemed pleasant to me.

Here is the disappointing part. The recruiter called me the next day and said they were going to extend an offer. Our negotiations started, I did not hear back from them for a day, the day after that they send me an email saying the team no longer needs another engineer. I would have atleast appreciated a phone call to tell me that.

I spent a whole day talking to them, the process from recruiter screen to the onsite was around 3-4 weeks. They should have decided about open reqs before bringing candidates in. This is just not acceptable.

Interview Questions

• Given an array, shift all the zeros to the right of the array, without disrupting order of the non zero elements   2 Answers

Mar 30, 2015 – Global Saffing Director

So sorry for the change in plans. Unfortunately, headcount plans change (sometimes, right in the middle of interviewing). I will work with the team to improve the process. Feel free to reach out to... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ooyala.

Interview

The phone interview started off with a technical question immediately. Very straightforward. After solving the question, you can ask the interviewee any questions about the company. The interview lasted for an hour.

Interview Questions

Ooyala Response

Mar 17, 2015 – Staffing manager

Thank you for the review. Good luck in your job search

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ooyala in January 2015.

Interview

I had applied online.I was contacted by the recruiter for a telephonic interview.The recruiter was very accommodating and professional.The interview involved general questions regarding to my resume.Two easy coding questions.Reversing a sentence and another string manipulation question.Got an email a day later though wasnt a good fit for the position.

Feb 12, 2015 – Staffing manager

Sorry it ended up not being a fit. Best of luck in your search

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Ooyala in January 2015.

Interview

The interview process for my position consist of phone interviews (all coding). The questions could take time to think about, but not too difficult if you have strong background in general computer science and/or have been preparing for interviews.

The recruiter was nice and helped me move forward as fast as possible understanding my situation.

Interview Questions

Ooyala Response

Oct 5, 2015 – Global Saffing Director