Ooyala Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Ooyala Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Ooyala

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ooyala (San Jose, CA) in November 2010.

Interview

This is a technical interview. At first I talked about something about my previous project. And then the interviewer gave me a ten minutes description about what Ooyala does. After that I was asked two coding questions.The whole interview took 45 minutes. The interview is very friendly and encouraging.

Interview Questions

• given a string,which is filled with either "(" or ")", for example "(())()())", write a function to check if the string is "proper". A "proper" string means if there is a "(" in the string, there should be a ")" which corresponds to the "(" in the string. For example, "))()("   3 Answers
  • Given two integer arrays. Find the Largest Common sub array. For example,
    arr1 = {1,2,3,2,3,2} arr2={2,2,3,3,4,5}, the largest common sub array is {2,2,3,3}   8 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Ooyala

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I interviewed at Ooyala (San Francisco, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

HR interview. Bad experience. Call me 15 mins later. No tech questions, seems they want to fill out a table about when graduate, what is your expectation of salary, projects ect

Apr 9, 2014 – Staffing manager

Sorry you had a bad experience. We try and have a call with a recruiter to make sure some the role/opportunity is a match. The 2nd call is with a SW Engineer and goes into a deep technical dive.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ooyala in February 2013.

Interview

one hour technical interview. The questions are pretty easy, you can find all the interview questions in glass door. I finished two questions quickly, but I got the reply that even the feedback for the interview is good, they thought I am not match to their position.......

Interview Questions

• 1) given an array of strings, group the anagrams together.
      2) find the largest sub-array(Kadane's algortihm)   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ooyala (Dallas, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

First, we are grouped on class room and gave six algorithm questions. They takes one week to review and then on site interview. I think they are very stress on the ability of creativity.

Jul 31, 2015 – Global Saffing Director

Thank you for the feedback. Best of luck in your job search.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ooyala (Santa Clara, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Started off with a recruiter screen, asking about the current job description, salary expectations etc,
    followed by a 1 hour technical phone screen with an engineer. Which lasted for about 45 minutes.
    I was then invited to a full day onsite, for around 5 hours..

Onsite had heavy emphasis on recursion and system design. Had to code on a mac for one of the interviews..Overall people were nice to talk to. Atmosphere seemed pleasant to me.

Here is the disappointing part. The recruiter called me the next day and said they were going to extend an offer. Our negotiations started, I did not hear back from them for a day, the day after that they send me an email saying the team no longer needs another engineer. I would have atleast appreciated a phone call to tell me that.

I spent a whole day talking to them, the process from recruiter screen to the onsite was around 3-4 weeks. They should have decided about open reqs before bringing candidates in. This is just not acceptable.

Interview Questions

• Given an array, shift all the zeros to the right of the array, without disrupting order of the non zero elements   2 Answers

Mar 30, 2015 – Global Saffing Director

So sorry for the change in plans. Unfortunately, headcount plans change (sometimes, right in the middle of interviewing). I will work with the team to improve the process. Feel free to reach out to... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ooyala.

Interview

The phone interview started off with a technical question immediately. Very straightforward. After solving the question, you can ask the interviewee any questions about the company. The interview lasted for an hour.

Interview Questions

Ooyala Response

Mar 17, 2015 – Staffing manager

Thank you for the review. Good luck in your job search

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ooyala in January 2015.

Interview

I had applied online.I was contacted by the recruiter for a telephonic interview.The recruiter was very accommodating and professional.The interview involved general questions regarding to my resume.Two easy coding questions.Reversing a sentence and another string manipulation question.Got an email a day later though wasnt a good fit for the position.

Feb 12, 2015 – Staffing manager

Sorry it ended up not being a fit. Best of luck in your search

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ooyala (Santa Clara, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Got initial call from Director of Engineering, then followed by one technical phone interview which is mainly focus on coding and algorithm, the question was very challenge for me. After the phone screen, recruiter called me right away to tell me the next step is onsite interview. During the onsite interview, I meet 4 engineers and hiring manager, the interview questions are all about system design, algorithm and coding. It was really great experience to walk through the problem with them, the interviewers won't just throw the problem to you then set there, they actually solved the problem with you together, I got feeling that they are future "co-worker", not just interviewers. In hiring manager round, he made very clear picture about what Ooyala's technology, business, current challenges and direction to me, and answered bunch of my questions. Lastly, super nice recruiter went through all the interview stages with me, very efficient in the hiring process, friendly and response my question quickly. Next day of the onsite interview, I got the offer! Overall, this is my best interview experience so far.

Interview Questions

• Recursion, system design, math and some interesting coding problems.   1 Answer

Oct 5, 2015 – Global Saffing Director

WELCOME TO OOYALA. Great to hear you were able to talk with the director (Dan, right?)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Ooyala (Santa Clara, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and the process from then to the finish was 4 days long. I had 2 phone screens, first one with the team lead and the second with another engineer on the team. Fairly easy in difficulty, not too bad. I was called on site the following day for about 5 rounds of interviews that lasted from the morning till 4pm. Everyone here was pretty laid back and relax. The work environment looked awesome and so does the general community of Ooyala. Most of the in person interviews were not so bad, however there were some difficult ones. The recruiter was really nice and so were the employees at Ooyala, the entire process was neat. Unfortunately, they said that I was in the middle of a hire and no hire so they decided not to hire.

Interview Questions

• Given an unsorted list of integers, from 1 to N, find the duplicate number. (There is only one duplicate)   Answer Question
    • There are 2 input files given, with no relation to one another. One file is encrypted with some mapping that is unknown while the other is a book written by Shakespeare. Write an algorithm that finds the map that decrypts the the encrypted file. Some rules to know are that only characters 'a'-'z' and 'A'-'Z' are encrypted, all other characters are left alone. And no two characters have the same encrypted mapping, that is to say that the mapping is one-to-one.   Answer Question
    • Given a binary tree, do a level-order traversal. Print a new line after each level in the traversal.   Answer Question
    • Given an n x m matrix [ [1, 2, 3], [4, 5, 6], [7, 8, 9] ] print out the spiral matrix. That is, return all the elements of this matrix in spiral order.   Answer Question
    • Write an algorithm for malloc and free.   Answer Question

Oct 14, 2015 – Global Saffing Director

So sorry it ended up not being perfect match. Please keep in touch as we have an ever changing set of open reqs. Perhaps a future role will be a good match. Thanks for the feedback

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ooyala in February 2014.

Interview

Fairly standard although quite unprofessional. interviewers are frequently late and underprepared.

A lot of random questions not very related to the actual work.

I recommend training your interviewers and ensuring that they can behave professionally and show up on time. I've also heard about early termination of interviews that were handled very disrespectfully and in an unprofessional manner.

Interview Questions

• print diagonals of matrix.
      Url shortener.
      implement binary tree.   Answer Question

Aug 26, 2015 – Global Saffing Director

First off WELCOME to Ooyala. Thank you so much for the feedback on the process. The timing is great as we (HR) are putting together some structured interview training. Feel free to stop by and share... More