Ooyala Solutions Architect Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Ooyala

2.7

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ooyala (Mountain View, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

Recruited contacted me after applying online. The recruiter was not very responsive nor was very efficient. Took multiple times to schedule first telephonic interview.
First telephonic interview - i am really not happy that startups dont have a good phone system. They use Skype and the experience is horrible. Can't they not invest in a decent telephone system??- as a tech startup you should know that there are many in-expensive VoIP systems. The interviewer was a senior solutions architect who did not have the interest at all. If you dont have the time or not interested please dont waste my time!! It was a 20 min phone interview and the interviewer was not pleasant and did not ask me anything that was pertinent to my current role and what i am doing. Just a generic "Tell me about yourself". I dont think she even went over my resume before the interview. " I am looking over your resume now". She herself did not seem very passionate about her job nor her company.
Waste of time!!!

Interview Questions

• not difficult or unexpected but a pretty stupid question - if your customer wanted you to finish a project in a very unrealistic time what would be your response? My reply was that i would negotiate with the customer and try to set realistic expectations. Her response - why not reduce the scope??   Answer Question

Ooyala Response

Apr 9, 2014 – Staffing manager

Sorry to hear you had an unpleasant call. We try and use skype in case people want to use video. If skype wasn't working to your satisfaction we certainly could use a traditional phone system

Other Interview Reviews for Ooyala

Solution Architect Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ooyala in December 2012.

Interview

First, I was contacted by email. The real sender's email address was hidden so that I cannot reach him afterwards. He was eager to arrange a time for a talk with me on Skype. During the skype session, I realized that he hadn't read anything I submitted previously. And he didn't bother to ask me any additional question.

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ooyala (Singapore (Singapore)) in February 2017.

Interview

The process started after resume screen and Recruiter called for about 30 min to see my experience and skill fit to the role.

After that It was passed to GM. It was a telephonic. He checked whether I understood the role properly and how I can relate my experience to the role.

Recruiter contacted and passed me for the next round with Professional Services- VP in US. He drilled on my specific experiences on "Partner Integration", "Vendor Selection", "Ad Tech". It lasted for about 20 minutes. After a couple of days I was notified I am through for next series of rounds.

This was supposed to happen in OOyala office in Singapore. But due to the person travelling, it was also telephonic. First was with VP from Singapore. There was not much of question. He asked about my background. Then he started his concerns of me not having Video management domain experience, pricing experience in video industry etc. Though he was not clearly saying I am not a fit, instead he was explaining role expectation. He went ahead and told I can visit Ooyala office even if I choose not to join and gave his personal mobile number to contact if there is anything. It was the first time in all my professional experience somebody was doing this. I found it weird and doubtful though. All the talk was about 1 hour. But no concrete questions was there.

After that, there was a 30 min interview by solution architect. It was series of simple questions.

Next day there was the last interview from senior management in Argentina (What this was for?? I donno). But this interview was tough. It was series of open ended questions that tested different scenarios, personality and your attitude. Most of them had to be drawn out from experience. I was happy that I could confidently answer. It started for about 20 min but took about 40 mins to complete.

All this while, the interview process was smooth. The recruiter made sure that I am comfortable, though I had to attend most of the timings early morning Singapore time. Whenever there was change in schedules, recruiter jumped in to convince how important my application is to them and how they are eagerly waiting for it,

After one week, I got a reply from HR - "Due to business needs they have a change in the role. They are not looking solution architect anymore." It was so bad that a company like Ooyala (who claims to be a fast growing start up) doesn't even know what position they are hiring for. They in fact does not respect applicants time and effort. Or Is it that Senior management all over the world is sitting idle, that they have enough time to do all theses fancy stuff. I guess not.

I had a non-fit feeling for the role after the Singapore - VP interview. I felt like he was looking for some one like an "Account Manager". Honestly I could not feel anything of that sort from the job description they gave.

My advice to Ooyala is to give the authority to "Regional teams" if they know everything and have them interview first rather wasting applicants or other executive's time. What i felt was just because there was clearance from other senior management from US, they could not reject straight away.

Interview Questions

• How would you present Ooyala to the customer?
      What experience out of your background will you use for this role
      Some AdTech standards and Video code standards
      Modules involved in Video content delivery
      How will you speed Ad delivery for 10000 concurrent request   Answer Question

Ooyala Response

Mar 13, 2017 – Global Director Talent Acquisition

Sorry to hear the process seemed a bit chaotic. We have a globally dispersed team so on occasion we have non local team members interview. I will make sure the recruiter better explains the process... More