OpenGov Director of Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at OpenGov

2.5

Director of Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at OpenGov (Redwood City, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very good. Recruiters were prompt and organized on the phone, it was easy to schedule. The hiring manager was engaging and thoughtful, and gave me a clear idea of how he was evaluating me. After they decided not to proceed with the process, the recruiter promptly called me back and gave thoughtful feedback to me, which I find very rare among hiring processes in the valley.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experiences with big data and creating highly scalable back end services   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for OpenGov

Director of Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at OpenGov (South San Francisco, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

Applied via LinkedIn and got contacted by an in-house recruiter the very next day. Had a great experience chatting with the recruiter who appeared perfectly courteous, knowledgeable, and professional. The next step was a phone screen with their head of engineering which left a very opposite impression- he was twenty minutes late, seemed to be in a hurry, and asked only a few basic questions along the lines of “what is data normalization?”, “what’s the most common data structure used in database indexes?”, and a few other CS101-derived inquiries . Recruiter called me the next day and said they would like to setup an onsite interview with the head of engineering. Head of Eng spent first fifteen minutes of onsite time reading through my resume (it felt like he saw it for the first time) and summarized his impression in one and only question he squeezed out - “so I see you have a lot of experience heading engineering teams in early stage startups. What gives you an idea your experience would be relevant/applicable with OpenGov? We are not a startup. Do you read any business management books at all?”. That was the entire gist of that interview as he didn’t seem to be interested in the story I attempted to tell. I did apologize for wasting his time.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think your previous experience building, retaining, mentoring, and growing engineering teams is applicable at OpenGov?   Answer Question