OpenTable Experience Designer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at OpenTable

1 Interview Review

Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at OpenTable (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

I had sent in my portfolio/resume, and was sent an email the day right after to tell me that they were really interested in my portfolio. An initial phone call was set up the week right after - and I spoke to a senior designer who was hired earlier the week before. Nothing too crazy -- the interviewer just asked me the typical stuff -- why I wanted to work at OpenTable, why I was looking for a new job, etc. The call went well, so I went to a second round phone interview. Initially, I was supposed to speak with the head of design, however, his schedule did not work out so I ended up chatting with another senior designer who had just started a month beforehand. Again, simple interview -- more like a phone conversation. The only question that he had asked me that "threw me off" was that he asked me what my design principle was.

After that, I was invited to an in-person interview where I had to present some pieces of my portfolio to a group of people for an hour, and then had several in-person interviews. My in-person interview was with the recruiter, 2 senior designers, a PM, an engineer, and a UX writer. I /think/ it went fairly smooth. There were some questions in between, nothing too crazy.

My first in-person interview was with the 2 senior designers, where they asked me to engage in a design activity for about half an hour. The last 15 minutes were meant for questions.

My second in-person interview was with the PM and the engineer. I felt slightly uncomfortable in this interview section, mainly because I felt like the PM was slightly intrusive. The engineer, on the other hand, was quite nice.

My third in-person interview was with the recruiter. It was more so of a closing interview to ask me if I had any visa restrictions and what I was looking for with regards to salary.

They told me that they would get back to me in a week or two. They got back to me the week after, and I was not offered the job. They said I was a great culture fit, people really liked me, I was ambitious etc. However, the only feedback they had for me was from the PM -- when he asked me what I would change in the OpenTable app, and I was not assertive enough.

It was kind of unfortunate, but definitely a lesson learned.

Interview Questions