OpenTable Interview Questions | Glassdoor

OpenTable Interview Questions

Interviews at OpenTable

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at OpenTable (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Completed one intake phone screen with HR, then completed a technical phone screen with two developers which included live two coding exercises. I failed miserably on the first problem, but the interviews were polite, helpful, and wanted me to succeed!

I was then invite for an onsite where I felt very well taken care of. They gave me a gift, snacks, and paid for lunch. There were three interviews with senior developers and one with the principal. Everyone was very and nice, collegial. I learned a lot from the interview process.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at OpenTable in September 2015.

Interview

I dropped my resume at university's career fair table and they emailed me a day later for on campus interview. The whole interview was around an hour long. I first met an HR person who asked about logistics stuffs (any other interviews? with what company?) and an engineer who conducted a technical interview.

Interview Questions

• What are you interested in? Why OpenTable? Ksum problem.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

Interview

6 rounds, mostly with engineers, 1 with VP of engineering. Overall process was very smooth. I felt interview experience was very similar to AirBnB except Airbnb's cultural round at the end. They also gave me a take home exercise which I enjoyed working on. I would rate it 5/5 on good quality questions and difficulty level. Keeping interviews difficult is very important to hire the best and keeping the culture good.

Interview Questions

• Standard algorithmic problems related to their business and real world, dynamic programming problems, N x N grid.   2 Answers

Negotiation

They pay well, better than industry standard I believe.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at OpenTable (San Francisco, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

First round is on the phone and then I met with the lead engineer in LA. I was flown to SF for a full day of interviews after that and decision was given quickly. The interviews were mostly with engineers on the team you are applying for plus general algorithm questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at OpenTable (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I had an initial call with the recruiter . Then a telephonic interview with a Sr engineer followed by coding exercise. Was invited onsite for a full day of interviews. Had 6 rounds of interviews along with lunch. Interviewed with 4 Sr Engineers, a Product Manager and a Sr Architect. Was invited for another round of onsite interviews after this which consisted of a pair coding exercise and an interview with the VP of Engineering

Interview Questions

• The questions were a bit tough compared to the normal ones. You need more than just basic data structure knowledge. But they were really specific to the position applied for and hence made a lot of sense.Plus all of the questions we real world problems being solved none of the text book questions like the other companies.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at OpenTable (San Francisco, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

It was very straight forward. One on one interview through college recruiting. They are very quick on the first round of interviews. You will have a good interview experience here.

Interview Questions

• Standard question on why this company and what interests you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at OpenTable (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and had a technical interview soon after. Did not hear back for over a week and a half, so I emailed the recruiter for an update on my application status. I never heard back. Horrible recruitment process if a company does not have the decency to notify candidates if they have been rejected, especially if you personally emailing them for an update. Will never consider working here again.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at OpenTable in November 2015.

Interview

On campus recruiting with a senior software engineer. Went over resume/experience. Worked through a whiteboard coding question. Then was asked to implement a better method of it as described by the interviewer. He basically wanted to see me work through it. Final thing they asked was about my favorite classes/projects in school. Future goals.

Interview Questions

• for all numbers 0 - 100, print out if they are prime or not.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at OpenTable (San Francisco, CA) in July 2018.

Interview

The interview process is about 4 weeks.

The first phone interview is a mixed with technical questions and a coding exercises. The exercise is pretty easy, and the interviewer was really nice and kindly to answered all my question. I did pretty well and expected onsite interview. But HR said he forgot to mention I need two rounds of phone interviews. He said it's normal process for candidate that are not in Bay area.

The second interview only have technical questions, but was very detailed and focus on the architecture in the company. I passed it and get the onsite interview.

I signed the NDA for the final round interview so I can't share the details. I answered almost every questions and answered pretty well. All the developers and manager are very nice and friendly.

After couple days I received the response from HR said they were considering candidates with more experience so I didn't get an offer. It was weird since the job position didn't mention it is a Senior role. I also meet all of the requirements in the description.

Interesting things is, after couple weeks, HR contacted me and asked me if I want another round of interview. This time they are asking if I want to apply the Junior role of the position. I said yes, and the HR wanted me to have another round of interview. I felt really weird at this point, why I need to have another round after I did an onsite?

The interview was with the manager I spoke in the onsite interview. We had a great conversation and I thought I was going to get the offer. The next day I went on vacation so they said they'll follow with me after I came back. But when I tried to reach them again, the HR left the company, and another HR took over the process and didn't give me offer.

I'm really disappointed on the process and they even haven't sent the check for all the reimbursement after 3 months of the onsite interview. The two HRs I contacted both left the company so I don't know when can I received the check.

Interview Questions

OpenTable Response

Oct 17, 2018 – Technical Recruiting Manager

Thanks for sharing this feedback. Our goal is always to conduct interviews in a timely manner, but I understand this was not your experience. We apologize for the delay with your interviews and... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at OpenTable in January 2019.

Interview

Funny Experience.

Got a mail from HR to talk to HM, forgot that mail and after 2 weeks got another mail saying if you wont respond to this mail, they will close my application, still I didnt respond to it..

Then one day all of a sudden got a mail, saying that they have closed the role I had applied to but HM wanna talk to me about another role... and we are arranging a telephonic with HM at 4 pm, still I did not respond ... after 4 I got another mail saying that the telephonic round has been rescheduled at 5... enough of that so I finally responded saying I am available at 5:15 and shared my cell number.

At 5:15, a guy calls himself as HM, talks like HR calls me and starts with HR question and visa .. Appears, he was looking for testers ... after 45 mins of round.... we both we certain I am above the skill he is looking for...

Next day received a mail from HR, that "We will not be able to provide visa sponsorship for this role and therefore we will not be able to move forward with your application ".. When we made sufficiently clear that I dont even need visa sponsorship..

Thats the sign of work environment...