OpenTable Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

2.9

32 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at OpenTable (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

the early part was standard, applied was contacted by a recruiter and a phone call was set up. They asked about only one part of my background, the most relevant part and once I was done I was told that I wasn't a good fit. They then proceeded to give me advice on how I should get experience. I wasn't asked anything about who I was or how I could contribute and I wasn't even given a chance to ask questions myself.
    It felt as if the only reason they called was to investigate a concern and they weren't really interested in me at all.

Im no stranger to job rejection so thats not really a big deal but it is NOT okay to give a half interview or not even give someone the chance to advocate for themselves. The whole thing made me feel really bad about myself and in my opinion that is the opposite of what a good recruiter should do regardless of who the candidate is.

Senior Node Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at OpenTable (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

6 back to back technical interviews all centered around promises and sever side programming. All the engineers were friendly and nice to talk/interview with. The place was clean, i was offered plenty of bathroom breaks, water, and was taken to lunch with my prospect team. I got a good feel for the company, and they seemed to be the average tech company with smart people in the bay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at OpenTable (San Francisco, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

The recruiters compete with each other to get you in for an interview. They really boss you over when it comes to discussing compensation and try to browbeat you a bit. Seemed a little unprofessional overall. Their work does not seem like rocket science.

The recruiter does not have the basic decency to close the loop on interview results. I did not hear back after following up a few times and I assumed it was a no.

I also heard stories on people being asked to leave very rudely half way through the interview with incorrigible reasons.

Interview Questions

• Basic Java qns, easy coding qns as well and some REST API design   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at OpenTable (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Completed one intake phone screen with HR, then completed a technical phone screen with two developers which included live two coding exercises. I failed miserably on the first problem, but the interviews were polite, helpful, and wanted me to succeed!

I was then invite for an onsite where I felt very well taken care of. They gave me a gift, snacks, and paid for lunch. There were three interviews with senior developers and one with the principal. Everyone was very and nice, collegial. I learned a lot from the interview process.

Senior Database Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at OpenTable (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied online and the interview process took over 4 -weeks.

Recruiter call followed by a couple technical telephonic calls which is followed by an on-site interview in SFO Downtown.

On-site process:

Had conversations with Hiring Managers, followed by Dev-ops teams and Database teams

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at OpenTable (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

A couple of phone screens and 8 interviews onsite. Most of the team members I spoke to were good. It looked like a very good company and great people. But their HR is a joke. Not very responsive and they seemed to not care about the candidates. Another funny thing about them is there Pay. I really think the benefits mentioned here are rigged. They offered me a base salary lower than what I am already making! There are far better companies both benefits and technology wise.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at OpenTable (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Standard recruiter-phone screen-onsite. As with most tech interviews, rigorous whiteboarding preparation will serve you well. There was a few coding sessions, an architectural session, and two top-level soft sessions.

My whole experience with OpenTable was excellent - the team is very approachable and interesting to talk to, lots of autonomy on the projects, great location, and a robust product and product vision. I ended up declining the offer due to unrelated factors but it was a tough decision.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at OpenTable (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Started with a technical phone screen. On site interviews consisted of a few technical interviews, but mostly high level interviews and/or personality fit interviews. Everyone seemed really friendly.

I ended up liking someone I interviewed with a bit more so I had an extra phone interview with someone on the other team.

The whole process was pretty fast (the timing was due more to my schedule than theirs) and the recruiter was nice and helpful.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a project you worked on and how it's designed.   Answer Question

Ruby Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at OpenTable (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

The initial phone screen was a friendly chat with the hiring person at OpenTable. Questions asked included: Why would you like to work here? Tell me about yourself. Can you highlight some of the projects that you've done? The second call was a technical screen with an engineer that was looking for a person to join his team. The engineer asked three interview questions. The questions were asked in a confusing cryptic way. In hindsight, two were about SQL optimization and one was about CSS.

Interview Questions

• Q. There are a couple of errors with this Ruby code. What are they?
      users = User.where(active: true)
      Post = [ ]
      users.each do |user|
        Post << user.posts
      end   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at OpenTable (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview was over hangouts and fairly straight forward. About 10 minutes was spent on CSS, 10 min on HTML and 20 on JavaScript. There was some live coding involved, which was unnerving, plus general JS/HTML/CSS questions. Matt spent about 10 min on a general introduction in the beginning, and set time aside at the end for my questions. He was absolutely supportive and professional throughout the interview, even as I floundered through some parts. Live coding is rather stressful, but Matt did his best to reduce the stress and help, which made the process easier. My only complaint was that it took a while for HR to get back to me - but as soon as I emailed Matt with a followup, he wrote right back.

Interview Questions

• What is "this" and how is it used? What is scope? How do you deal with callback hell?   Answer Question