OpenTable Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

OpenTable Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at OpenTable

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at OpenTable (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

A couple of phone screens and 8 interviews onsite. Most of the team members I spoke to were good. It looked like a very good company and great people. But their HR is a joke. Not very responsive and they seemed to not care about the candidates. Another funny thing about them is there Pay. I really think the benefits mentioned here are rigged. They offered me a base salary lower than what I am already making! There are far better companies both benefits and technology wise.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for OpenTable

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at OpenTable (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview was over hangouts and fairly straight forward. About 10 minutes was spent on CSS, 10 min on HTML and 20 on JavaScript. There was some live coding involved, which was unnerving, plus general JS/HTML/CSS questions. Matt spent about 10 min on a general introduction in the beginning, and set time aside at the end for my questions. He was absolutely supportive and professional throughout the interview, even as I floundered through some parts. Live coding is rather stressful, but Matt did his best to reduce the stress and help, which made the process easier. My only complaint was that it took a while for HR to get back to me - but as soon as I emailed Matt with a followup, he wrote right back.

Interview Questions

• What is "this" and how is it used? What is scope? How do you deal with callback hell?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at OpenTable (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Completed one intake phone screen with HR, then completed a technical phone screen with two developers which included live two coding exercises. I failed miserably on the first problem, but the interviews were polite, helpful, and wanted me to succeed!

I was then invite for an onsite where I felt very well taken care of. They gave me a gift, snacks, and paid for lunch. There were three interviews with senior developers and one with the principal. Everyone was very and nice, collegial. I learned a lot from the interview process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at OpenTable (Berkeley, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I talked to a recruiter at a college career fair and they reached out for on-campus (at college) interviews the following week. The process was smooth, and they interviewed about 20 other people as well. My interviewer was kind, but I was too nervous and messed up horribly. They told me I wouldn't continue in the process because of my poor performance about a week after, so they didn't take too long to get back. Overall, a decent experience, if only I hadn't messed up badly in the intervew..

Interview Questions

• Given list of euclidian plane points, find k points closest to the origin   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at OpenTable (San Francisco, CA) in July 2018.

Interview

The interview process is about 4 weeks.

The first phone interview is a mixed with technical questions and a coding exercises. The exercise is pretty easy, and the interviewer was really nice and kindly to answered all my question. I did pretty well and expected onsite interview. But HR said he forgot to mention I need two rounds of phone interviews. He said it's normal process for candidate that are not in Bay area.

The second interview only have technical questions, but was very detailed and focus on the architecture in the company. I passed it and get the onsite interview.

I signed the NDA for the final round interview so I can't share the details. I answered almost every questions and answered pretty well. All the developers and manager are very nice and friendly.

After couple days I received the response from HR said they were considering candidates with more experience so I didn't get an offer. It was weird since the job position didn't mention it is a Senior role. I also meet all of the requirements in the description.

Interesting things is, after couple weeks, HR contacted me and asked me if I want another round of interview. This time they are asking if I want to apply the Junior role of the position. I said yes, and the HR wanted me to have another round of interview. I felt really weird at this point, why I need to have another round after I did an onsite?

The interview was with the manager I spoke in the onsite interview. We had a great conversation and I thought I was going to get the offer. The next day I went on vacation so they said they'll follow with me after I came back. But when I tried to reach them again, the HR left the company, and another HR took over the process and didn't give me offer.

I'm really disappointed on the process and they even haven't sent the check for all the reimbursement after 3 months of the onsite interview. The two HRs I contacted both left the company so I don't know when can I received the check.

Interview Questions

OpenTable Response

Oct 17, 2018 – Technical Recruiting Manager

Thanks for sharing this feedback. Our goal is always to conduct interviews in a timely manner, but I understand this was not your experience. We apologize for the delay with your interviews and

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at OpenTable in January 2019.

Interview

Funny Experience.

Got a mail from HR to talk to HM, forgot that mail and after 2 weeks got another mail saying if you wont respond to this mail, they will close my application, still I didnt respond to it..

Then one day all of a sudden got a mail, saying that they have closed the role I had applied to but HM wanna talk to me about another role... and we are arranging a telephonic with HM at 4 pm, still I did not respond ... after 4 I got another mail saying that the telephonic round has been rescheduled at 5... enough of that so I finally responded saying I am available at 5:15 and shared my cell number.

At 5:15, a guy calls himself as HM, talks like HR calls me and starts with HR question and visa .. Appears, he was looking for testers ... after 45 mins of round.... we both we certain I am above the skill he is looking for...

Next day received a mail from HR, that "We will not be able to provide visa sponsorship for this role and therefore we will not be able to move forward with your application ".. When we made sufficiently clear that I dont even need visa sponsorship..

Thats the sign of work environment...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at OpenTable (Berkeley, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I met with OpenTable at a Career Fair and they set up a technical interview the next week. I met with one of their principal engineers who was very friendly and walked me through one technical coding question, several behavioral and educational questions, and gave me a brief overview of the position and the culture of the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at OpenTable (San Francisco, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

It was very straight forward. One on one interview through college recruiting. They are very quick on the first round of interviews. You will have a good interview experience here.

Interview Questions

• Standard question on why this company and what interests you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at OpenTable (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and had a technical interview soon after. Did not hear back for over a week and a half, so I emailed the recruiter for an update on my application status. I never heard back. Horrible recruitment process if a company does not have the decency to notify candidates if they have been rejected, especially if you personally emailing them for an update. Will never consider working here again.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at OpenTable in November 2015.

Interview

On campus recruiting with a senior software engineer. Went over resume/experience. Worked through a whiteboard coding question. Then was asked to implement a better method of it as described by the interviewer. He basically wanted to see me work through it. Final thing they asked was about my favorite classes/projects in school. Future goals.

Interview Questions

• for all numbers 0 - 100, print out if they are prime or not.   Answer Question