Opendoor Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Opendoor Data Scientist Interview Questions

Interviews at Opendoor

3.5

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Opendoor in November 2018.

Interview

Talked to recruiters and then did a phone interview. For the phone interview they just gave me a coding problem and asked me to solve it. It was relatively simple problem but it took me too long to come up with the answer. After the phone interview, they notified me the result in a day.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of markov chain transition probabilities, count the number of occurrences (number of “a”, “b”, “c” steps) for a sample n-step run.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Opendoor

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

I applied through referral and after almost a whole month - so long that I thought my application hasn't been submitted at all- a recruiter suddenly emailed me with a take-home exercise and asked me to finish in 3 hours out of nowhere....No one has ever reached me or scheduled with me to inform beforehand that I need to plan ahead for a 3-hour exercise...I emailed back said I am not available now, and the recruiter replied saying I can work over weekends and it's a must to screen candidates (like I am trying to avoid it...) 3 hour is not a big commitment but they don't even bother to say hi and schedule... they just threw the exercise to you like they're expecting everyone should just wait their email doing nothing.

I always thought recruiters are pretty much same in terms of scheduling and coordinating, until then I understand how unprofessional one can be. And I will never take for granted when recruiters respect a candidate's time and schedules.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Opendoor.

Interview

The interviewer gave an awkward introduction, asked one general programming question, one question about data frames in Python (pandas), and then asked me to describe one of my projects. I had around ten minutes left at the end of the interview to ask questions: the entire interview lasted one hour.

Interview Questions

• (1) Given a list of strings (words), output the strings that are anagrams of another string in the list. (2) Given a pandas data frame, calculate sample statistics (specifically, the median and the number of decreases in value) by groups.   2 Answers

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Opendoor in May 2017.

Interview

They asked me to spend three hours working on a homework assignment and then never got back to me even after emailing for feedback about the assignment. When you ask someone to spend three hours on something, you better give them some feedback. If you don't have time to review responses & give feedback, don't bother sending an assignment.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Opendoor.

Interview

The first step (after a possible call with a recruiter) is a technical phone screen with a couple questions in Coderpad. The questions were fairly typical for a technical screen, but they expect you to be able to complete them easily.

The onsite interview is pretty intense, and involves three paired coding sessions and two "talk me through how you'd approach this business problem" questions. The coding sessions go by quickly - come prepared to jump right in and analyze some data / build a simple model. The open-ended question sessions are a great chance to show you can think intelligently about the tough problems they deal with day-to-day and that you know how to scope and plan a data science project.

Interview Questions

• Explain how would you approach this problem that's core to our business. Prep this data as training data for a machine learning model.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Opendoor (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

First round: data challenge that's about predicting housing price using KNN
    Second round: a technical screen on coderpad. Took me too long to finish the first coding question, the interviewer didn't even ask the second question. The coding question was fine, it's about anagram. However that was my first coding screen ever, so I got nervous.

Got rejected 30 minutes after the second round.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Opendoor (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Chat with their people at career fair. Phone screening with pair coding session, mostly data manipulation and machine learning concepts. Later I got invitation to on-site, 2 interviewers in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. However, I got rejected right after lunch.

Interview Questions

• recommendation system design   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Opendoor (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

There was an initial phone screen with the recruiter. There was then a technical phone screen with a "Cracking the Coding Interview"-type of problem and then a discussion of a previous project that I worked on. I next was invited to an onsite interview. The onsite was 5 hours and 2 coding, 2 whiteboarding, and 1 with management.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Opendoor (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

pair coding was typical coding/engineering problem. Algorithms and optimization were pretty key. Whiteboard quantitative research question was interesting - problem was interesting and sat at the intersection of cutting edge data science/modeling as well as operations research and econometrics. The pair exploratory data analysis gave me a good sneak peek into what working here would feel like.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Opendoor (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

It was pleasant overall. There was sort of a lack of transparency on what they were looking for. This is a young company and I don't think they know exactly what they want.

Interview Questions

• To talk about a project of mine.   1 Answer