Opendoor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Opendoor

2.9

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Opendoor (Phoenix, AZ) in September 2019.

Interview

Extremely pleasant interview with personable HR staffer. Most of the questions I had prepared were actually covered in her extended introduction. She explained the general requirements of the job, something of the immediate company structure and benefits, also suggested the approx. salary the position would offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe some of the projects on which I am currently working.   Answer Question

Home Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Opendoor (Phoenix, AZ) in September 2019.

Interview

I received email to schedule phone screening with recruiter after applying on OD site. Timely, friendly. Second interview was set up from someone in the Phx- interview was going well, mostly just a get to know you then a role playing question and interview ended. Within 24hrs received email saying they were not moving forward.

Interview Questions

• Provide specific examples of when you exceeded the customer expectation.   1 Answer
    • Role Playing - buyer wants to make a low ball offer what do you do.   1 Answer

People Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Opendoor (San Francisco, CA) in September 2019.

Interview

As a candidate who was thinking thoughtfully and diligently about my next opportunity, Opendoor stood out among the rest.

Overall, the process was great. I worked with Katie on the recruiting team who was organized, communicative and made the process feel seamless. Between her, the hiring manager, the leaders and peers, I felt valued every step of the way. Everyone was well prepared during the interview with a diverse set of questions that made the interviews challenging but also conversational. The interviewers were transparent and it was clear how passionate they were about the company, the role, and Opendoor's mission.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you had a complex employee relation conversation.   Answer Question

User Experience Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Opendoor (San Francisco, CA) in September 2019.

Interview

The hiring manager reached out to me directly (and I'm sure many others) on LinkedIn about the role. We ended up having a video chat where I shared a portfolio of my work. Before we hung up, the hiring manager told me he wanted to bring me in to meet the team. He even said he'd send me some feedback on my preso to make it stronger when I present it to them.

I was stunned. I've never had the interviewer offer feedback on how to improve. Usually, you hear nothing until the end. And if it's a no, they never give you any help or feedback on why. True to his word, I got an email the next day with things to implement. The second he did that, I knew I wanted to work for him and for the company. If they're willing to support someone like that while they're interviewing, imagine being a team member.

I came in a couple weeks later (had to reschedule an earlier date). I presented my revised portfolio based on the feedback. Since it was my first time, I honestly thought I bombed it. But the one-on-ones were great. I met people across Brand, Engineering, PM, and Design. Each one was easy to talk to and connect with. And I met even more people across Design over a team lunch. Last, I presented an exercise they asked me to do (which I felt went way better).

It was about a week later they contacted me back to let me know they wanted to move forward. Because the role was with a team in another city, I asked if I could fly there, so they could meet me, and I could meet them. They were totally cool with that, and I worked with their team to book a flight. And much like the people in HQ, this team was also friendly and easy to talk to.

When they called to make me my offer, I was expecting they might low-ball me given they're a mid-sized company. But it was well within what I was hoping for. They even negotiated with me and got me a bit more.

Overall, the experience was great. I would have liked to get updates a bit quicker. But the recruiter and I were texting (yes, texting) back and forth regularly enough where I didn't feel out of the loop for too long.

And after starting at a company, there's always that question about whether you made the right decision. Within a couple of days of joining, I knew this was a great and supportive place to work.

Interview Questions

Opendoor Response

Jan 21, 2020 – Opendoor People Team

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us such detailed feedback about your interview process. We’re glad to hear that you had a positive experience and are thrilled that you ultimately decided to come join us because of it!

User Experience Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Opendoor (San Francisco, CA) in September 2019.

Interview

The head of design reached out to me. It was two video interviews, a 4-hour onsite, and then I had to talk to 2 other people who weren’t available the day I was there.

Video interviews were fine. The head of design is very nice.

The day of my onsite, I waited about 20 minutes to be called into a conference room. There I was, sitting there with my bottled water while people were filing out the door to get lunch. I thought about lunch, too.

I did my preso, and that went fine. Then we discussed the writing sample. We designed together, and that’s always fun. Then we had an awkward lunch. Then the 1:1 interviews. Then I get asked this question “if all of your coworkers were drunk, like really really drunk, and I asked them what it’s like to work with you, what would they say?”

I wish I was kidding. And no, not a kid.

Then I hear back. They want me to talk to 2 more people. I don’t know why I agreed...maybe because I’d come this far. But after more than a week, we finally schedule the 2 phone interviews. No one shows up because she didn’t add the appointments to their calendars correctly. So the 2 meetings are rescheduled...and turned out to be video interviews with no break between them. Both an hour. I didn’t turn on video and I don’t think they liked that.

So a week goes by. Then I get a message from HR. We have updates on our end. I said sure, call or write. I get another message at 11:43 pm that day...sorry we couldn’t connect. Okay. Another message the next day, hey can you talk? Sure. No call. And that was three weeks ago.

Today, I wrote to the head of design thanking them for their time. He said sorry it didn’t work out. And thats all I got.

So many jobs in this town. Just say no.

Interview Questions

• if all of your coworkers were drunk, like really really drunk, and I asked them what it’s like to work with you, what would they say?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Pretty negative experience. Had a call with recruiter, then an online tech screen involving a Trie search. After that was the on-sites.

The on-sites were all pretty terrible. Each interviewer showed up 8 - 10 minutes late, resulting in a rushed tech portion. It's ridiculous that every single interviewer was late. That was unprofessional.

The recruiter advised that I focused on a working solution rather than an optimized solution. I saw the interviewers score me negatively for not coming up with optimized solutions on their laptops (they left it where I can see it). So despite solving all interviewer's solutions, under a sever time constraint, it's not enough.

Interview Questions

• 1. Build Minesweeper
      2. Build a function that reads a file and logs the minimum values across all files in a sorted fashion. You're not allowed to load more than 1 file in memory.
      3. Build a filter search function that is flexible

4. System Design
       You're given a blue-tooth lock that's connected to a house server. The lock can contain at most 10 key-codes. How would you go about to designing the system?   Answer Question

Opendoor Response

Oct 15, 2019 – Opendoor People Team

Thank you for taking the time to leave this feedback. It’s important to us to provide a positive experience for every candidate who meets with us. Sometimes previous meetings go over every once in awhile, but being that late for every interview is unacceptable and doesn’t align with how we conduct meetings at Opendoor (especially with candidates and visitors!). Please know that we’ve already shared your feedback and have reinforced it into new training material for those who interview on behalf of Opendoor — we take this type of feedback seriously.

Regarding having a working solution rather than an optimized solution — our prep material indicates to not jump too quickly into a brute force solution. We recommend all candidates spend some time up-front to sketch out the ideal solution, but if you can’t find an ideal solution, it’s okay to start with a naïve approach and iterate/improve upon it. It’s better to have a working, non-optimal solution than perfect, unfinished code. I can see how this may have caused some confusion -- it’s a great call out, and we will make sure to be more clear when prepping candidates.

Again, we very much appreciate you sharing your experience. Even though it was disappointing to hear we didn’t do better, we genuinely believe feedback is a gift. Thank you.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Opendoor (Phoenix, AZ) in August 2019.

Interview

I applied online, received an email asking for available time frames for an initial phone interview to which I replied immediately. After 3 days I received an email with scheduled time for the interview. It lasted about 15 minutes, not too many questions, pretty straight forward stuff, like daily tasks, and previous experiences. After that, I was informed what the position role is and some details about that position and was told I'd hear from them before the end of the week, and I did. I think they were a pretty good opportunity and a place to work at a couple of years ago, but now that I just read all of these negative comments, I think it's good that they told me I wasn't picked to move forward. Seems like they don't need new people there, 99% of interviews end up with NO offer. Also, most of the people that work there leave negative comments, God knows what he's doing, he didn't want me there.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Opendoor (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2019.

Interview

The interview process was the same as always. Phone screen, online quiz, video interview, onsite. The onsite interview was too long and uncomfortable. The questions were too various and it seemed sometimes that I was interviewed for another position.

Interview Questions

• Whiteboarding with algorithms, trees, graphs, recursive algorithms.   Answer Question

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Opendoor (San Francisco, CA) in August 2019.

Interview

I applied online and got a response from the Technical Recruiter. After which there was a phone screening with the hiring manager and then an onsite. The initial rounds were very professionally handled. However there were couple of interviewers who seemed to be in a hurry.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioural based on prior experiences. There were also questions related to system design and current technology.   Answer Question

Operations Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Opendoor (Scottsdale, AZ).

Interview

The company moves very quickly so it was a quick turnaround when it came to interviews and the interview process.

2 phone interviews, case study, then an in person interview which was mostly video interviews with 3 people. One gentleman laid on the couch on his laptop (a little awkward) and acted extremely bored emphasizing “everyone is just really smart here”.

I did not get the job but I requested feedback and the recruiter was very responsive and called me with comments from all interviewers. They were looking for someone with more operations experience even though this was a coordinator position.

The company really emphasizes they are a startup and consider themselves a tech start up which every interviewer asked me if I had worked for before.

Interview Questions

• Explain your thought process if you worked operations for Uber Eats and customers were complaining that they were receiving their food cold.   1 Answer
    • Explain a time you improved a process   1 Answer
    • If you had a super power what would it be?   1 Answer