Opendoor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Opendoor

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Opendoor (San Francisco, CA) in January 2019.

Interview

The onsite interview was pretty basic, two coding and two "design architecture" questions. funny thing was the first design question was not a design question at all, they had me confused with sending a "data engineer" to interview me, the guy literally asked a question which didn't have a software design aspect to it at all, every-time I was talking about scale or possible use cases of a mircro-service he would just stare at me or make an annoying noise. regardless in the end it turned out he's looking for some SQL syntaxes. basically I rambled on for a while talking about scalability, seems like scale is not an issue for this company given ~10000 major transactions/year. if you're coming from a FANG company with real scaling issues, you would know that this is just a joke. The interviewer was rude given his poor knowledge. please stay away from this waste of time.

Mortgage Loan Processor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frisco, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Opendoor (Frisco, TX) in January 2019.

Interview

Interview was okay, I was interviewed by 5 people. 30-45 minutes each. I connected with 4 out of 5 of the interviewers . This is a start up mortgage company. With people that don’t know how to start up a company.

Interview Questions

• What’s is the LTV on a conventional loan   1 Answer
    • What is the DTI   1 Answer
    • Tell me what worry’s you about this position   1 Answer

Pricing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Opendoor (Nashville, TN) in January 2019.

Interview

Phone interview, Google hangout Interview, four in person interviews. It was a lengthy process, but it was fun. I was disappointed to learn that another candidate was selected, but they plan to reach out in the next hiring phase. Everyone was friendly and very helpful through out the process.

Interview Questions

• What excites you most about working for Opendoor?   1 Answer

Head of Operations Excellence Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Opendoor (San Francisco, CA) in January 2019.

Interview

A bit of a rollercoaster ride.

Applied online and a recruiter set time with me for the initial phone screen. At the end of the call, she asked me for my availability to speak with the hiring managers. She also gave me availability slots for the hiring manager. I needed to check my calendar and when I confirmed that I could speak during one of the slots provided, I never heard back. Days passed including the time in which I had coordinated to speak. Days later the recruiter contacted me to get me on the phone with the hiring manager.

I spoke with the hiring manager and that went well. A week passed and I followed up with the recruiter who informed me I would be speaking with the hiring manager's boss. That conversation also went well. I sent a note to the hiring manager's boss who wished me luck with the rest of the process and she would like to connect in the near future.

More than a week passed and I had to follow-up with the recruiter again. At that point I was informed I wouldn't be moving on in the process.

A rather clunky experience with mixed messaging for the candidate. I'm sure their pipeline is full of great candidates, but process and messaging should be ironed out as this experience represents the company.

Outside of that, the people are all really really smart and collegial. Seems like a great place to work with a really interesting business model. Wish I had made it to the end!

Renovation Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Opendoor (Atlanta, GA) in January 2019.

Interview

More of a conversation than an interview, very comfortable and project management driven. Interview was very welcome and informative about their company and how you add value to it making it comfortable for you to succeed.

Strategy and Operations Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Opendoor.

Interview

Phone screen with recruiter. Secondary with hiring manager, followed by an assignment. Following the secondary I had to reach out directly in order to receive the assignment. After spending a few hours on assignment I turned it in the following day, have not heard back since. It's been 6 weeks. Safe to say I was ghosted. Very unprofessional, disorganized, and lack of any follow up.

Closing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austell, GA

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Opendoor (Austell, GA).

Interview

I originally applied for a completely different position but the recruiter reached out to me about 2 other positions they were hiring for. I agreed to interview for the other positions since I had nothing to lose. I had to complete 2 interviews where there was a role playing exercise with 2 employees. I was then asked to come in for an in person Interview. I met with 3 people including the hiring manager.

Honestly, I only connected with 1 of my interviewers and the hiring manager was awkward as heck. He didn't listen to anything I said and cut the interview 10 mins short. I knew from that moment I wasn't getting the job and I was okay with that. The culture didn't seem like a fit and the hiring manager (who would've been my supervisor) didn't seem like someone I'd enjoy working with.

Licensed Home Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Opendoor (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Interview process was pretty simple and good at first. I applied online and a recruiter from the company reached out to me. After a brief discussion with her, I scheduled a phone interview with two people in the position I was applying for. About a week later the recruiter reached out to me to schedule an in office interview. I meet with four people for 2 hours and the interview went very well, until a brief break in between my interviews. I could hear them welcoming someone to the team for the exact position I was interviewing for. How unprofessional and a complete waste of my time! The recruiter reached out to me the next morning and let me know they decided to go in a different direction ( ha! thanks I already know) My gut feeling is that they hire friend referrals or in house promotions.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself and why you are interested in Opendoor   1 Answer

Senior Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Opendoor.

Interview

Recruiter said connect with one of the hiring managers for a casual chat. Hiring manage asked interview style questions for around 40 mins at a cafe that was meant to be a casual chat. No word from recruiter after that, either positive or negative. Waste of time!!

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Opendoor (San Francisco, CA) in December 2018.

Interview

Applied and heard back from a recruiter a few days later. Had a really great conversation as she was explaining the challenges and hurdles they are current facing. As next steps, she had me speak to their Head of Talent, Sylvette Sawyers and it was just an overall horrible experience. The call kept getting dropped about three times and instead of her making the effort to give me a call back, I had to be the one the call her back. She wasn't clear on her questions and when I tried to answer to the questions she was asking, she kept interrupting me. I asked what was her 30 60 90 plan for this hire and she said 'it depends' which is a little concerning because she should always have that on the top of her mind. I was a little disappointed that she was not able to provide a clear vision/strategy on how she was able to scale + build out the recruiting function.

Interview Questions

• What was the biggest mistake you've made? What do you want to know about the team or role? What is your process like?   Answer Question

Opendoor Response

Dec 10, 2018 – Head of Talent

Dear Anonymous Interviewer,
    Thank you for sharing your interview experience. I am disappointed that our phone call did not go as planned and that you had the experience that you did. It was unfortunate that we did not have a strong signal during our call which made a smooth conversation quite challenging. My apologies that you felt like you kept getting interrupted. We had such limited time and I wanted to get through the questions that I had. (I have increased my recruiter interviews to 45 mins so hopefully that will help.) You should know that I did call you back several times but kept getting a "call failed" note but I am glad that you were able to get through to me.

I wanted to address your comment about the 30 60 90 day plan. Each new member who joins the team has a different plan depending on his/her experiences,, development needs and feedback from the interview process. This is why I said "it depends.' If you are so willing I'm happy to reconnect and review how the team will scale to meet the ever-growing needs of Opendoor. The team will almost double in size in 2019. That is due to strong organizational design planning, a focus on specialization , building fungibility, promotions, and hiring more leaders/recruiters/sourcers.

All that notwithstanding, it's concerning that you walked away with a bad experience after having a conversation with me. Thank you for sharing your feedback and thoughts. It will help me be much more aware.

Good luck in your career endeavors.

Sylvette