Opower Engagement Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Opower Engagement Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Opower

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Opower (Arlington, VA) in November 2011.

Interview

I applied online, received an automated notice the same day and an email asking for interview with internal recruiter within a week. A few days later (Monday), I had what seemed to be a very good interview and was told I was a very strong candidate and that the recruiter would send me a homework assignment for return by the end of the week. She then assured me I'd hear back within 3-4 days of the homework assignment being received... the problem is she never sent the homework assignment. I emailed on Tuesday to let her know it had not arrived. No response. Wednesday I called and left a voicemail giving an alternate email address in case it was a case of a misspelled email address. no response. Friday I called again, left another message, and still got no reply. It's now a week later, and I'm frustrated to find what sounded like a great job and what was a very positive interview led to a big fat unanswered question mark. Very disappointing if their processes are meaning that good candidates are falling between the cracks.

Interview Questions

• No interesting questions - just a check of background suitability, relevant work experience, etc.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Opower

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Opower (San Francisco, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

Day 1: Job posting found on alumni job board.
    Day 2: Resume submitted to the alum who posted the job (via email).
    Day 3: Automated response that resume was submitted.
    Day 7: Response from HR to schedule phone interview (via email).
    Day 23: Phone interview with HR (1/2 hr). This interview was about my background, past experience, reason for leaving current job, and reason for interest in OPower.
    Day 25: Phone interview with Manager (1 hr)- rescheduled once to accommodate manger. This interview was relating more to the OPower position and scenarios were given to respond with how you would solve the problem.
    Day 31: On site interview with 3 people- direct manager for position, manager for position in corporate office, peer interview (same position) (3 hrs). All three covered different questions on background and past experience, current job, and gave a problem that one would encounter and asked to give a solution to that problem.
    Day 40: Notification that another candidate was selected (via email).

Interview Questions

• Look at this PowerPoint slide and tell me how you would present this to the client.   Answer Question
    • If you were scheduling a kick-off meeting, who would you invite?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Opower (San Francisco, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

During the 4+ months of my interview process, there were many, many interviews. lots of rounds. These took a long time, and I almost lost interest in pursuing a job at Opower.

Interview Questions

• all types of interviews, from cases to role playing to tests of presentation & analytical skills   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Opower (San Francisco, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

The interview included an initial phone screen, first with the recruiter then the hiring manager. After that, I was brought in a for a full day of interviews (presentation, utility knowledge, Saas knowledge, project management, etc). The interview process was interesting, they left lots of time for questions, they pushed in different areas (it didn't feel repetitive)

Engagement Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Opower.

Interview

I submitted as an employee referral and had a phone screen within 4 days. The recruiter told me to expect two phone interviews, a skills test, and an all-day in-person interview. She said the entire process from first contact to hire should take about 3-4 weeks.

I passed my phone screen and a week later had my first phone interview, which went equally well. My second phone screen was a week after that. During that phone screen, my interviewer seemed very distracted: she was walking around somewhere, possibly traveling back to the office. At the end of the interview she said the recruiter would get back to me. A week later I had not heard anything, so I emailed the recruiter for an update. The recruiter said her team was still conducting phone interviews to make it fair for all candidates and that she would be back in touch once they had decided whom to bring in to the office.

Two weeks after that, I had still not heard anything. I emailed again for an update. This time, I got an email from a different recruiter saying that she was taking over the requisition and would circle back with my most recent interviewer for an update. Two weeks after that (a month after my second phone interview), I got an email saying I would not be moving forward in the process.

Overall, I was in their interview process for 10 weeks: it took me 3 weeks to complete two interviews and a phone screen, and then another 7 weeks for them to tell me I hadn't been selected (after bouncing between several HR recruiters). I continue to be impressed by Opower as a company but am seriously underwhelmed by their recruiting process.

Interview Questions

• 1) Can you describe a time when you uncovered a client issue and had to mobilize internal teams to address it?
      2) Can you describe how you have been able to build high-level contacts within a utility and influence those contacts to achieve a business goal?   Answer Question

Apr 10, 2014 – Employer Brand Manager

Great to hear you are impressed with Opower as a company - we appreciate your insight and sorry you didn't have the best experience interviewing. We take this feedback seriously - thank you.

Engagement Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Opower.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted for a phone screen. The phone screen needed to be rescheduled due to a conflict that came up with the recruiter. I passed the phone screen and was told that I would be taking part in a series of Skype interviews.

The first Skype interview took part ~10 days later and was a general resume interview. I was then informed that I moved on to the next Skype interview, which took part ~10 days after that. I subsequently did not hear from the company for about three weeks and assumed I had not moved on, but was told that the recruiter had actually left (been fired?) and another recruiter would be taking over.

After a third interview, this time in person, I was invited for a half-day round of interviews with a technical product manager and a series of engagement managers/directors. About 10 days after this final round of interviews and over 2 months after I submitted my application, I was informed I was not selected.

Most of the interviews were resume or scenario based, with some efforts to use topgrading interview techniques (Google it if you haven't heard of it so you know what to expect). The Skype interviews were awkward because they are Skype interviews and nothing can be done about that, but the in-person ones were much better. The interviewers seemed like nice, cool people but it seemed like they had been told not to smile or otherwise be friendly during the interviews because these were some of the coldest and most unfriendly interviews I have had - again, even though the interviewers themselves seemed like they were nice people.

Questions centered on ability to be client-facing, knowledge of the utility industry, how to get things done in a matrixed organization, how selling software as a service is different from selling either products or services, how to interact with the sales team, the product team, etc. There were several role playing situations ("pretend I'm the client," "give me a three-minute presentation on anything," etc.) and some time where I was given some data and needed to present it.

The interview process was friendly enough and nice enough but it definitely seems like Opower is going through some growing pains. They can't hire quickly enough so current engagement managers seem overloaded and overwhelmed, and everyone seemed to be running around and rushed. The recruiting process similarly took a very long time, even though the recruiters were great and very helpful along the way. Overall, Opower is a cool company and I look forward to seeing how it moves forward but the interview process definitely raised some red flags for me about what it would be like to work there (and this is not sour grapes because I didn't get an offer).

Interview Questions

• What's unique/special/different about a software-as-a-service business model?   1 Answer

Apr 10, 2014 – Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the review and sharing your perspective.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Opower (Arlington, VA) in March 2014.

Interview

The hiring process was extremely fragmented. Initially, I was asked to interview and specify available times, and then I heard nothing for six weeks, until a contact who works there dug and told me the position had been filled. From others I have heard from who have applied, this is a very common occurrence with their HR. Their HR is understaffed and trying to meet crazy goals. About four different people from HR were emailing me throughout the process.

~Eight weeks later, they asked me to interview for the position again since it had been re-listed, and apologized for dropping the ball before. I went quickly from a phone screening to a Skype interview. The in-person interview was scheduled for a month later. After scheduling the date and asking off from work, they asked if I could reschedule to accommodate some people's vacation plans, which seemed less than completely respectful of my time.

All-in-all, it took over five months to get from application to interview in their office. I would not recommend applying to Opower if you are looking to move along quickly and don't have the patience to fill in their gaps.

There were a number of times when they lost track of documents and failed to email with instructions when they said they would. As of the night before the interview, they had not told me when to arrive. The other thing that was a bit funny is that, while the interview took four hours, they told me I needed to take the whole day off from work. I think that more realistic expectations should be set. I also think that they should consider pulling the team to interview in twos rather than have someone go through individual interviews with six different team members. The questions were redundant, and it was unnecessarily tiresome in my opinion.

Interview Questions

• I can't say that much was unexpected here. They do ask about familiarity with different programming methodologies.   Answer Question

Jul 11, 2014 – Employer Brand Manager

We appreciate the feedback. This is a very helpful perspective to help make sure we create a good candidate experience.

Engagement Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Opower.

Interview

I was first screened on the phone by a recruiter who had to reschedule. Very friendly guy, courteous. Questions were mostly about my background.

Next I was interviewed on the phone by whom I think would've been the direct boss to the position. Sharp guy, completely robotic. Questions were about my background, how I would engage a project.

Interview Questions

• How and whom I would engage a project that is starting?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Opower (Arlington, VA) in July 2013.

Interview

The initial contact was fairly quick. I believe that there were approximately 2 weeks between submission and contact. I was invited for an interview at their headquarters, which are very nice, with the department lead and another manager. Both were very nice and professional. As it turns out, the position was not a good professional fit.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were particularly difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Engagement Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Opower.

Interview

After submitting a resume, I had a short phone interview with a recruiter, who then asked me to complete a "homework" assignment. This then led to a phone interview with the hiring manager, but I did not proceed to an in person interview.

Interview Questions

• Asked questions about how I would deal with a real-world issue.   Answer Question