Opower Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

3.4

69 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Tech Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Opower (Arlington, VA).

Interview

Applied through LinkedIn. Contacted by HR. Then, had technical screening by phone with hiring manager. Once done, they sent me a homework with SQL and Linux questions. Finally, invited for all day face to face.
    Interviewed by six people.
    Never heard back after though all interviews went over the allotted time and interviewers seem interested.

Pros:
    ** They are very hospitable.
    ** Very nice office
    ** Pets are allowed
    ** Various perks

Cons:
    **No diversity (you will see that during tour)
    **They don't bother to give you interview feedback ( after spending your time and energy)

Note: Honestly, I was not that interested in the position after I learned more about it.

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Opower (Arlington, VA).

Interview

3 Part process.
    1) Homework: several questions that covered Linux text commands, SQL, and regex
    2) Technical Phone interview: we went over the homework and several new questions on SQL
    3) 5-hour interview: Long day that consisted of an interview covering each topic.

All interviews were conducted to see my thought process, and general technical ability.

Interview Questions

• You must know
      * SQL
      * Linux command (sed, awk, bash scripting ect..)
      * general programming: functions, objects, loops, conditionals ect..
      * have a general knowledge QA, unit testing ect..   1 Answer

Director, Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Opower (Arlington, VA).

Interview

I came in the office to for a series of interviews, mostly with senior management but one panel interview with team that would be reporting to me. Those in group panel interview came into the conference room with their laptops, several of them continuing to work during the interview process which I found very rude. A few of them were not engaged and never asked any questions. They also had me do work assignment prior to the interview and submit my work. It was rather involved and took several hours. I understand the need to assess work product and abilities but at some point it crosses the line to free consulting.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Opower (Arlington, VA) in February 2016.

Interview

First, the HR asked some general questions about my background and how I understand about what they are doing. Then, she asked about my current status. Since they do sponsor the work visa for this opening. Our conversation end there.

IT Support Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Opower (Arlington, VA) in November 2015.

Interview

Opower recruiter contacted me about their open position. The interview process was simple, the pre-screening phone interview was completed by the recruiter, then a phone interview with the hiring manager that lasted 30 minutes. Then two weeks later we setup a in person interview with the IT team, which took half a day. The interview process was simple, it was more of a conversation with some technical questions thrown in. Met with 8 people, each interview last 30 minutes and they are very rigid about time. Once the 30 minute mark is up, you have to move on to the next person, there wasn't any flexibility to finish the conversation. Prior to the in-person interview, be prepared to send in a written response based on your job description. The written portion evaluates your research, writing, and problem solving capability.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Opower (Arlington, VA).

Interview

Interview process is the same format as you read in previous reviews for the same position, it is a bit rigorous. Initial email from HR person a few days after applying and followed with a phone screen within a few days. Provided with take home assessment which was lengthy but not bad. Couple of phone sessions with hiring mgr, the technical stuff was pretty basic SQL(focusing more on joins). Onsite interview was 5 hr long including lunch. Couple of regular functional interviews followed by three technical sessions each for an hr. Technical skills tested are Programming - logic challenge, SQL - table schema and queries with joins, Unix - command line accessing of files(can use the internet).

Overall impression of the company was great and though the onsite interview was long and a bit rigorous, it was surprisingly pleasant. The take home assessment is a bit tedious, but if you are technical, you'll have fun with it. The technical interviews are not too bad if you know your stuff. You don't have to be an expert in the above mentioned areas, mid level would do well. They have very high standards, if you stumble in even one of the technical portions, you can forget it. HR person will be in constant touch with you and will be your main resource. Nice office!

Associate Manager, Corporate Communications Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Opower (Arlington, VA).

Interview

Opower has a rigorous, but predictable interview process that involved a screen, phone interview with hiring manager, homework assignment, day of on-site interviews, and the negotiation phase. The process took about 3 weeks, and throughout that time an HR recruiter kept in close contact with me to provide updates and answer questions.

Overall, if I have to point out any one thing that stands out, it's how helpful the recruiters are. A good anecdote: on the day before my lineup of on-site interviews, the recruiter gave me a call after hours to talk me through what to expect and answer my questions. It was a nice touch.

In general, I got the sense that the interview process was more about cultural fit than assessing technical expertise, but that is almost certainly because I work in comms (as opposed to product engineers, whose interviews get very technical from what I hear).

All that said, it's worth noting that Opower is pretty intense during the negotiation phase, and definitely doesn't expect to have to leverage compensation to win candidates. They make it very clear that they *know* Opower is a special company that attracts top talent.

All said and done, though, the total comp including equity is slightly above market and the lively office environment provides a foil to a lot of the higher comped DC consulting shops.

Interview Questions

• What are your thoughts on Opower's content marketing - is there anything you would improve?   Answer Question

Engagement Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Opower (Arlington, VA).

Interview

Incredibly drawn out, unpleasant, almost combative process. Left a very bad taste in my mouth. I would not recommend this company to friends or colleagues (including at utility co's...). They put me through at least 6 rounds of interviews, including an all-day round of interviews at their headquarters. To their credit, they paid for my travel and hotel. To their discredit, they asked very strange questions that were not germane to the job (i.e. about my childhood). They came across as disinterested and rude. They claim to be very interested in culture fit but then discredit any job applicants who come from an environmental/energy efficiency background in favor of pretty much anyone else (especially management consulting).

Interview Questions

• They asked me what kind of kid I was like in high school...   1 Answer

Sales Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Opower (Arlington, VA).

Interview

The selection process consisted of 4 steps:
    1. Screening interview with HR. General behavioral and company related questions. They also provide additional information regarding the position and requirements at this stage.
    2. Excel assignment. After completing step 1, you'll receive an email with assignment which you should complete in 24 hours. Assignment is relevant to the job description and overall gives you an overview of what kind of work the department is doing. It's not too hard if you are good with Excel. Took about 6 hours to complete.
    3. Phone interview with the manager. Combination of the behavioral and job related questions. All questions are related to job description. Again all questions are relevant and test both company and skills set fit.
    4. Face-to-face interview with the team members. If you pass to the last stage all of the team members will ask you both behavioral and job related questions. All of the questions were very professional. The interviewee also gets a chance to understand the dynamics of the team, try out your personal fit to the company environment. Be ready to comment on every single bullet point of your resume.

Overall all the interviews were conducted very professionally. I think i is great idea that not only the hiring manager but all the members of the team get to decide whether the interviewee will be a good fit for the team.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to intern for Opower?
      What are you proud of?
      Give an example when you have non-cooperative team member and how you dealt with it?
      Examples of forecasting, planning.   Answer Question

Javascript Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Opower (Arlington, VA) in June 2015.

Interview

All accept 1 of the 5 interviews were all highly technical. The series of interviews were at their offices from 11AM to 5PM. I was asked to write code on their loaner laptop for random, subjective scenarios with unclear instructions that made quickly answering the question rather difficult at time. A team member told me, during lunch, that the interview exercises were something new they were working on and I was their “guinea pig”.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that accepts a single argument that returns a flattened array regardless of what argument type was passed in.   1 Answer
    • Write code that allows a user to go to a specific url and returns a JSON object containing the name and version of the current package (this was inside of their app that is in/near production and using the KOA framework---not Express)   1 Answer
    • Write pseudo code for a function that accepts a Board class that contains three public methods and will return whether the Board passed in is “solvable”. The three Board methods include “canMove” that accepts a direction parameter, move() that accepts a direction parameter, and “isSolvable” that returns a boolean of whether or not the board passed in is “solvable”.   1 Answer
    • Verbally explain how you would write unit tests for the function I wrote in question 3.   1 Answer
    • Create a “debounce” function like the one provided by the underscore JavaScript framework that will take a function as the first parameter and return a function that will only be called once within the milliseconds of time (that is passed in as the second parameter).   1 Answer