OppLoans Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at OppLoans

2.5

Sr. Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at OppLoans (Chicago, IL) in November 2017.

Interview

The first step was a technical phone screen, that included hands-on coding with the interviewer (dev manager) observing and asking questions.

I was brought into the office a few days later for a series of interviews, that went as follows:
    1. Junior engineer did another hands-on coding test, and followed up with a few perfunctory questions about my resume and my experience. Left without giving me an opportunity to ask any questions.
    2. With the development manager, whiteboarded the design of a program to simulate a common board game.
    3. Two senior engineers came in to ask tough questions to determine my language knowledge and experience. One was very distracted, constantly on slack throughout the interview, and even got up to leave for part of it. I again had no opportunity to ask questions.
    4. CTO came in to ask about database design.

The interviews were scheduled for 1-4, but I did not leave until after 5:30.

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at OppLoans (Chicago, IL) in April 2018.

Interview

I did a phone screen with the recruiter then followed up with an in-person interview with the Controller and the CFO. The phone screen interview was basically a more in-depth walk through of my resume. The in-person interview consisted of accounting related questions, an Excel Test, and a Wonderlic Test.

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at OppLoans (Chicago, IL) in April 2018.

Interview

The process is not smooth. It took a week to schedule the time for interview. HR introduced the company and position to me and asked me several basic questions. Then I asked her several questions, but did not hear the detail I expected.

Interview Questions

OppLoans Response

Apr 27, 2018 – PeopleOps

Thank you for your feedback! Our success has translated into rapid growth of the company which means our hiring process is ever improving as well! However busy we get, we do try to maintain a high... More

Business Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at OppLoans (Chicago, IL) in March 2018.

Interview

Chatted with hiring manager over email and was asked to answer general questions about my interest in the business. Was asked to perform a SQL test.

After SQL test, was invited for on-site. Had 5 hours on-site, interviewing with hiring manager, SVP and Operations team. Did a case interview and behavioral interviews, and was promptly contacted about joining the team.

Interview Questions

• How would you size the market for customers with bad credit needing a small-dollar loan? Was also asked follow up questions to defend my rationale.   1 Answer

Marketing Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at OppLoans (Chicago, IL) in May 2018.

Interview

The interview process was easygoing, straightforward and informal. I applied online for the position in April, interviewed by both phone and in-person in May and accepted the offer in June. I had two phone interviews- one with the hiring manager and another with the CMO. My in-person interview included meeting with the hiring manager, the CMO and members of the marketing team. The experience was very open and inviting; communication was proactive by the team so I always knew next steps and where I stood in the process.

Interview Questions

• Please describe some campaigns that you have managed and how would you rate them as successful.   Answer Question

Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at OppLoans (Chicago, IL) in June 2017.

Interview

I was called by an internal recruiter, had an HR phone screen, had a 1-on-1 phone interview with the hiring manager, had an onsite interview with many people, got an offer and accepted. There was nothing exceptional about the phone interviews. The onsite interview was scheduled for 3 hours with a total of 4 people. The interview actually lasted 6 hours without any breaks and included a lot of additional people. While the additional people I met with were very important and helped me make my decision, the disconnect between the scheduled length and actual length was frustrating. The thing that I was unhappiest with was that a skill test was the very last thing I was given to do without any previous warning, 5 hours into the process. As I've worked here I've learned that this is a relatively common experience for technology candidates. Despite my frustration with the onsite portion of the interview, the process was successful in convincing me that I wanted to work at OppLoans.

Interview Questions

• Why do you have some gaps in your recent work experience?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at OppLoans (Chicago, IL) in December 2017.

Interview

I met with 2 engineers for a design/programming session. They asked to write code to calculate bowling game score. There were multiple hints on whether they want to see a design first - it wasn't clear to me what they wanted. I ended up trying few different designs and seems like the interviewees didn't like it. Then I wrote additional test and made the code pass all the tests. After that, they asked to make a recursive version of the code. I chatted some more about potential design and in general didn't see how the problem fit into recursive solution. The session was over and the receptionist informed me that my interview was over (it was cut short)

Application

Interview

I was scheduled 1-5 and ended up leaving about 5:10 when everyone rushed to get home. The interview was cut short and I didn't get a chance to talk with everyone on the schedule. First was the design problem. Second was the programming problem. Finally was a tag team interview with two senior developers. This was the main reason that turned me off to the company. It was an interrogation style interview with the two of them firing questions. One of the developers was rude and made many snide comments about my responses and work history. I left thinking I would never want to work with this person.

There was little chance for me to ask questions. I left knowing little more about the job than when I arrived. There was no selling of the job to the candidate.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at OppLoans (Chicago, IL) in June 2018.

Interview

I had met some people at the company and worked with two of them; certainly that did not hurt to expedite the process. After an initial phone screen with their recruiter, the in-person interview consisted of four or five interview sessions with (mostly) pairs of engineers; one programming exercise, one whiteboard exercise.

Interview Questions

• I was given a straightforward, open-ended programming exercise which I won't outline in too much detail since they are likely to change from interview to interview. These kinds of exercises are always stressful due to the stakes and the time constraints, but the interviewers were friendly, helpful, and flexible. A decent programmer who has, perhaps, "warmed up" a bit by doing practice problems for a couple of days ahead of time should have no problem demonstrating their ability in this portion of the interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at OppLoans (Chicago, IL) in February 2018.

Interview

Had a conversation about my background and did a simple programming exercise and a design exercise. Then had a conversation about my leadership style. Finally a chat with the CEO designed to answer any questions I had about the company. I was impressed with everyone there! They really do care about their people, so they don't want to hire the wrong person.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you lost an argument with a coworker.   Answer Question