Optiver Derivatives Trader Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Optiver Derivatives Trader Interview Questions

Interviews at Optiver

3.8

Derivatives Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Optiver.

Interview

Why trader?
Why optiver?

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Optiver

Derivatives Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Optiver in November 2013.

Interview

Resume drop, initial online math test, behavioral phone interview, technical phone interview

Derivative Trader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Optiver in September 2017.

Interview

Applied through college career fair and got a link to do the online numerical test few days later. It was 80 mental math questions in 8 minutes. Simple math but require speed and accuracy. 4 days later I got an email saying my numerical test scores qualifies for the next round phone interview. Now waiting for the HR behavioral interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Optiver (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied through site and within a week got an email with a link to the numerical barrier test. Took it, passed it. Then had a test involving mathematical series, then a test on logic puzzles. Professional environment with very intelligent people. Good atmosphere and it seemed like a very welcoming place to work, if you acclimate to the culture.

Interview Questions

• If a 10 x 10 x 10 cube has its cubic outer layer removed, what are the dimensions of the new cube?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Optiver (Chicago, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied online, and a few weeks later received an invite to take the mental math assessment. I thought it was very easy, and finished all 80 questions with about 30 seconds to spare (I'm sure I missed a few though). I passed the assessment and then set up a behavioral phone screen with HR. While we were scheduling, I had an exploding deadline and asked Optiver if we could speed up the process. They said they could move the process faster and have an answer within a week. The behavioral phone screen was routine, and I was told I was moving on. Normally there are two more technical phone screens, but since I was expediting the process, I had both at the same time.

I thought the technical phone screens were fair, though I completely botched an easy probability problem. Unlike the other interviews I have done (and I interviewed at three other places), the person on the other end did not help me during the mistake or even point out that I was making one. (Later, I solved the problem and it was quite easy). He also emphasized me estimating answers, so turning fractions such as .59/.73 into decimals without a calculator. We then moved to an "estimation" problem, where he asked me to compute the volume of salt in the Atlantic Ocean. I think my thought process was reasonable and efficient, although I could have been horrendously off, who knows. Then we moved to quick estimation problems, where he valued speed over accuracy and wanted me to give answers in hundredths of a percent (so an answer of two would come out to 20,000). I estimated very quickly, definitely wrong on some of them. For example, give 100 divided by 370000 in ten-thousandths.

I received an email the next day saying I was not moving forward. I was a little surprised, because that same day I receive a full time offer at Jane Street (which is considered to be much harder to get), but I was unconcerned because Jane Street was my number one choice anyway.

Interview Questions

• Estimate the volume of salt in the Atlantic Ocean.   Answer Question
    • If A and B are playing tennis and the score is 30-30, what is the chance that A wins the game? Assume on any given point, A has a 0.7 chance of winning the point (and B 0.3)   4 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Optiver (Chicago, IL) in April 2013.

Interview

The process was extremely quantitative, and quite rigorous. It consists of 80 math questios (mostly mental math) that you have 8 minutes to do, and if you don't hit a certain level then you are out. The next series of interiews is in Chicago, where there is an entire day of mental math and interviews.

Interview Questions

• A series of 80 mental math problems with a time limit of 8 minutes   Answer Question

Derivative Trader Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Optiver in June 2011.

Interview

We were 20 people in a class, an HR gave us a test with 80 questions in 8 minutes (6 second for each question, it is sooooo fast !!) .
    It is a multiple choices questionnaire, the question are easy mental calculus or easy equation, with some trick (for example you may find 1/3 for the answer but it won't be on the suggested choices you willl have instead 6/18) it seems easy but the time runs to fast.
    Each good answer worth +1, each false -1, each questions unanswered after the last one answered worth 0. You need to have a sore of 55-60 to pass.
    Actually just one of 20 succeded, he was invited to two other tests logic and brainteaser, with a little bit more time.
    Actually when the HR told 4 minutes remaining most of people haven't finished 20 questions of the 80.

Derivative Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Optiver.

Interview

First round: online IQ test
    Second round: 3 tests consisting of the famous 80 mc questions in 8 minutes. Grey zone > 48 points, safe zone > 54 points. Second test: sequences test, 26 questions in 30 minutes, grey zone > 18 points, safe zone > 21 points. Third test: 40 math questions, little bit tougher than those in the first test. 10 minutes i think. Grey zone around 28, safe zone 32ish. You are allowed to be in the grey zone only once. 1st and 3d test are with negative marking.
    Third round: HR interview and technical interview

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations possible