Optiver Trader Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 14, 2017

3.5

113 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Trader Interview

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Optiver.

Interview

Applied for summer trader internship. Passed phone screen, pattern recognition test, and phone math test. Got flown out to Chicago for a day - tests included a market making activity, probability simulation. Did not end up getting the internship.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Optiver

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Optiver (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Process took a few weeks. Applied online and then interviewed at the office in Chicago in Feb 2017. Started with a mental math test online (80 questions in 8 minutes). After that there was a phone call, mostly behavioral, pretty straight forward. Third was a sequence and pattern style recognition test (30 minutes 26 questions if I recall). After those there was a technical phone interview, mostly stats/probability type questions. Final was at their office, full day of stuff, they make you re-take the online tests in person to make sure you don't cheat, and then also a couple behavioral interviews, some shadowing, one or two technical ones, and a lunch that doubles as a behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• What would be the strike price of an option for a 12 on a 12 sided die that goes up by odds. The sides would be 1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17,19,21,23 and each dot on the die is 1 "point"=$1   2 Answers

Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Optiver.

Interview

Contacted by email by a recruiter. Took the 80 question 8 minute test, and got a call from a different recruiter. There was then a patterns test with some expected value questions. Was rejected at this step.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions, like a walk through resume or would you be willing to live in this city, etc.   Answer Question

Trader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Optiver.

Interview

I was asked to complete a mental math test online. Was not sure what my score was, but heard back around 2 weeks later. Completed phone interview and did not progress to the next round.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Optiver (Chicago, IL) in December 2016.

Interview

I had to complete a mental math test online. Follow-up was a behavioral interview - 30 minutes - quite pleasant girl on the other end. Next was a pattern matching / math test - relatively straightforward. Finally, a technical interview for 45 minutes over the phone.

Interview Questions

• You have 3 cards, each labeled n, n+1, n+2 and you don't know n. The rules of the game: All cards start face down. You flip one card. If you "stay", you get that card's value. If you don't "stay", then you flip another card. Again, choose to "stay" (and keep the 2nd card's value) or flip the final card and keep the final card's value. Design the optimal strategy.   2 Answers
    • You have 2 clocks, that are x hours apart. What is the probability that at any given time, both clocks' minute and hour hands form acute angles?   5 Answers
    • Mental math: sqrt(600), sqrt(6000), sqrt(60000), sqrt(24000)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Optiver (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied through their website online in late August. Received a email with the numerical test soon after. Here's the rundown of their interview process.

1. 80 questions in 8 minutes - Very basic arithmetic. Multiple choice so you have to think and click fast. I actually had the most trouble clicking because the buttons were so small. Also, for fractions, some answer choices are not simplified.

2. Behavioral phone interview - Went through resume and asked me basic questions like why I want to be a Trader. Also gave me the option of going with the Execution Trader or Derivatives Trader track. I chose Derivatives Trader.

3. 26 minute quantitative skills test - A few fill in the blank math/probability questions. The rest were identify the sequence/pattern type of questions. The weirdest part for this was that there were two questions that were exactly the same. Question and answer choices were all exactly the same. Most of the questions were not hard.

4. Technical phone interview - Went through some relevant experiences and asked why I want to be a Trader for the first 10 minutes. Basically four sections: Fermi questions, speed mental math, probability, brain teaser/math questions. The questions were pretty challenging and engaging but standard for competitive firms. Interviewer said he is looking for speed, accuracy and thought process. He also said he was most interested in the way I thought.

--- Got cut after the tech phone interview ---

5. Onsite - Didn't get here! Good luck to the rest of you :)

Interview Questions

• Basic mental math: addition, multiplication, square roots.   2 Answers
    • Given $1, $5, $20, and $100 dollar bills, what is the fewest number of bills needed to form amounts ranging from $1 to $100? (eg. $4 would need four $1 dollar bills) You can reuse bills so the number of bills is not cumulative.

What is the fewest amount of bills you need to always have exact change for a transaction of $x and $(100-x) given that x<100?   1 Answer
    • What is the smallest multiple of 77 that is greater than 70,000? 700,000?   1 Answer
    • Find the largest 5-digit number such that the pairwise digit sums of the numbers are unique. Find the smallest 5-digit number with the same property.

Explain why it doesn't work for 7-digit numbers.

Does it work for 6-digit numbers?   1 Answer
    • Fermi questions: How much data is used per day on the internet in the US? How many cars cross the Illinois-Indiana border per day?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Optiver (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

This company is terrible. They asked me to finish the mental maths part and then scheduled a phone interview with me. During the phone interview, they spent 5min to explain they don't sponsor people and hang up the phone call directly. I don't understand if you don't sponsor people, why are you wasting my time (I have specifically indicated that I'm an international student and need sponsorship in the online application). If you are also an international student, don't bother to apply for this company.

The whole process is so unorganized and unprofessional. I don't understand who want to work for them. On the other hand, Chicago wouldn't be my first choice after all.

Trader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Optiver.

Interview

The process started as a resume drop via school career fair. They then sent out an arithmetic online assessment. Those who got past that round received a phone screening, from which the top candidates were given an on-site interview

Interview Questions

• asked a lot about my background and why i was a good fit for the role   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Optiver (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

I had two interviews. The first one is about behavioral questions and willingness to relocate. The second one is purely technical.The interviewers asked me some mental math and brain teasers. It was easier than I expected. They seemed to be more interested in how you think about stuff rather than the answers you give. In the end, they gave me a question about some statistics in soccer games. I was confused by the terminology. I tried to figure out what they wanted me to solve, but the interviews got impatient. Unsurprisingly, I received a rejection next day.

Interview Questions

• Typical mental math and brain teasers, like 2/17 and how to transport 3000 apples.   Answer Question

Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Optiver in January 2016.

Interview

Behavioral and technical phone interviews, followed by an in person interview in their office in chicago. Everyone was super friendly, asked tough questions. Seemed to be interested in how you think and particularly how quick you are

Interview Questions

• Lets play a game where we roll a dice and you get a dollar amount equal to the dice roll. If you don't like your result, you can re-roll the dice once. How much would you pay to play this game?   6 Answers