Oracle Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 25, 2017

2.9

Product Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Oracle (Redwood City, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I was contacted directly by the hiring manager within one week of applying online.They set up the phone interview directly.My schedule was very relaxed and I co-operated with scheduling.Finished 3 rounds of interview (30 mins each)within 10 days.The hiring manager was very prompt with the follow-up and was a delight to work with.They scheduled an on site immediately and even send me the detailed instructions about how to get there.It was very smooth and professional until the recruiters stepped in.

I had my 3rd round which was a phone interview with VP.The recruiter here made a mess of my situation.She set up the on site interview with the same VP again.

Fast forward to day of onsite interview....3 hours before the interview (I was already on my way to the HQ),I get an email from recruiter saying that the interview was cancelled because they realized that I already spoke with the VP.I immediately followed up with my hiring manager and told him what happened.He said that there was a small mix up but I was in contention to meet the Senior VP.One week later I follow-up with the recruiter to schedule the on site interview ASAP.He tells me that the hiring manager is vetting other candidates and will schedule an onsite along with another candidate.A week later,I get a mail from recruiter that the hiring manager is reviewing between me and another candidate. I followed up with recruiter again and he tells me that the hiring manager decided to go forward with the other candidate.I get the usual “thank-you-for-your-time-and-goodluck-with-the-job-search” mail.I am shattered with this experience.

The recruiters are very unprofessional and don't even know small basic things like double checking with the concerned interviewers before scheduling the interview.I understand that recruiters are very busy but I cannot respect them If they can even do their basics right.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions on the background and resume.   1 Answer

Tax Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oracle (Redwood City, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Initial Phone Interview. The recruit manager asked for general background questions, any previous experience that applies to tax, and knowledge of Excel. Didn't discuss any job related question in detail.

Interview Questions

• Describe something you have done that would be valuable in a corporate tax environment.   Answer Question

Build and Release Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oracle (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Hard 3 phone interviews with the technical recruiters and one video interview with the senior engineer.
    Was also asked to send in via email a sample code I had written and there were question about my team leadership experience with an example

Interview Questions

• Was asked how builds are done at Oracle and what kind of tools used. Also the type of script language used to build the tools. There was a question about continuous integration. I was asked to install Jenkins on a AWS instance.   1 Answer

Software Development Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Oracle (South San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Interviewer was 35 minutes late and didn’t have my resume with him. His only recollection about my background was that I used to be a VP at my last few jobs. Based on that recollection he started our 17 minutes long conversation with an advise to look for a job someplace else since the position I applied for has only six direct reports. Remaining 15 minutes were spent between an extensive set of questions about inner working of Kafka (interviewer spent an extra minute or two to make sure I understand Kafka has no subscribers, only consumers) and an unexpected (I was on my phone) on-screen coding problem he had a bit of a trouble formulating. Approximately 17 minutes after interview started, hiring manager abruptly interrupted the conversation and said he has to run for another urgent meeting (5:35pm on Friday). I guess he wasn’t much pleased with the conversation either.

Interview Questions

• Why would I want to work for Oracle especially since I managed much larger teams before   Answer Question
    • Describe an architecture of a project you are proud of building   Answer Question
    • How to scale Kafka-based infrastructure   Answer Question
    • Merge two pre-sorted integer arrays in the most efficient fashion   Answer Question
    • Are you sure Oracle is the best fit for your background? Have you considered other options out there?   Answer Question
    • Compensation   Answer Question

Ergonomic Program Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Oracle (Pleasanton, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

In addition to applying online, I sent my resume to a recruiter at Oracle who I knew from a previous application. She forwarded my resume along. I was contacted for a live interview with the hiring supervisor. I then had a live interview with the team and a key business contact. The interviews were a mix of questions, conversation and learning more about the team and the position.

Interview Questions

• What makes me want to get out of bed in the morning.   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Oracle (Redwood City, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

THE WORST INTERVIEW I HAVE EVER HAD. The manager showed up 10 minutes late, didn't have a room reserved and spent 5 mins looking for a room. 5 of the people I spoke to were nice, one girl (I say girl not woman because she acted like a child) on the team was so rude and condescending I wanted to leave the interview

Interview Questions

• What can you bring to the team?   1 Answer
    • What Oracle products have you worked with?   1 Answer
    • Is Oracle just a tech company to you?   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oracle (Redwood City, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

I had a phone screen with a recruiter back East followed by a follow-up call with the hiring manager. Nothing difficult just wanted to know about prior projects and what I was looking for. Conversation went well and after a few weeks of trying to lock something down I was invited on campus for an interview. I met with two different people and the interview process only took about one hour.

I sent a thank you email after the interview and was told thank you and that they would be in touch shortly. I have sent two other follow-up emails and have not received any response. It has been about a month now. I assume they are interviewing other candidates and have probably moved on but this lacks courtesy and professionalism.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a difficult project where things did not go according to plan and the steps you took to resolve it?   Answer Question

Mid-Market HCM Cloud Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Oracle (Redwood City, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

It was a quick process because I got options as to when to go in for the interview after I spoke with the recruiter. However, I never heard back on whether I got the position or why I did not get the position. I was only informed to move on via text by the sales recruiter which to me was very unprofessional. I am a woman of color and they chose not to hire me. All 5 men interviewed. No women.

Interview Questions

• What makes you a qualified candidate since you don't have experience in complex sales cycles?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Oracle (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

At the college career fair, I talked to people from this company and gave them my resume. After few days, I got an e-mail from a recruiting manager and we scheduled the on-site interview. During the scheduling for the interview, everyone from the company I talked to was so nice. Also the interviewers were so nice too.

Senior Director, Product Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Oracle (Pleasanton, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

I was contacted and assessed by a recruiter. We discussed the job description, my qualifications and interest. I was then scheduled for first round phone interviews.

The interviewer asked no product management questions only technical questions. He was aggressive in tone and sounded angry saying "if I sound angry, this is my way". I come from engineering and services and passed. I asked if the job managed engineers due to the technical aspect of the interview. His said "No, I just need to assess as the engineers won't respect you if you're not technical enough". He further explained that the PM's focus is on design of the features and what the software will do and engineers take care of how its done. There were no questions about PDLC, MVP, or product management. He then asked questions to get age, ethnicity and education details, even though my school was on the resume. I managed to gracefully move on without giving personal data and redirect to the job description. As a seasoned executive with direct reports, it is important to stay away from questions that may seem discriminatory and keep my voice tone professional. I obviously passed as I was asked to meet in person and schedule the executive phone interview. The in person interview was the same questions as phone interview and I progressed to the executive phone interview.

About 1-2 weeks later, I had a phone interview with an executive and again, no questions about product management. I worked at a competitor and I was asked questions about how the software design handled integration with monitoring, cloud technologies, databases, app server and analytics technologies. I answered with info on design approaches, types of integration technologies that can be used like RESTful, network and messaging technologies, etc. It was as if he was trying to find details about the product architecture, design specs, roadmap, etc., and uncover something I didn't have an answer for. I talked about monitoring technology from HP, CA, IBM and Open Source. I talked about the plug-ins, SNMP support, and APIs and how New Relic and Splunk supports that technology for integration with applications. I addressed questions about real-time and near realtime design for integration, database updates and analytics. I then asked the interviewer questions about how this line of questioning on monitoring, data layer and analytics plays into the product management role. I thought he was going to say something about design, MVP, prototypes, experimentation as this level of detail would be necessary if this PM group participated or led those activities His answer was surprising; he said it does not as engineering really focus on technologies to build the software. The engineers would be more interested. He said that he just wanted to know. He mentioned that Oracle uses their own technologies and enables enterprise manager for monitoring, service management, etc. At this time it was becoming apparent he was trying to find out about the competition and I scaled back and talked about realtime analytics from a product design standpoint and not the underlying technology and development approaches.

I thanked him and asked about next steps. His response was another good one. He said Oracle wants at least one woman and he had to check the box. He said he had others to interview and that I should check back with the recruiter. Eventually, I was told they wanted to go another route and the reason was I did not know enough about monitoring tools. My ability to talk about developing features to integrate with 5 Gartner leading technologies and propose design and development options was not enough. To add insult to injury, all the interviewers admitted this level of detail was not relevant to the role. It was a waste of time!!!