Oracle Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 21, 2017

3.1

93 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood Shores, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oracle (Redwood Shores, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

I scheduled a phone interview shortly after applying online. The interview consisted of questions regarding previous experience, interests, and my availability for an on-site interview at Oracle HQ.

At the on-site interview, I met with the hiring manager and four principal engineers. In each interview, I was asked about previous experience and/or provided challenges. The challenges were standard white board coding problems. Overall, I found the communication skills of the interviewers to be below par. The manager being the worst and the carried over to the post-interview process.

After the on-site interview, I received no further communication from the hiring manager. After two weeks, I reached out to ask about expense reimbursement and whether I was still being considered for the position. The manager seemed put off by the question and responded with a curt email that directed me to a FAQ document. That document, mind you, states that you should reach out to the hiring manager for questions regarding expense reimbursement. Once I explained that to the manager, he had me email him the receipts. Note, however, he never address the other question regarding consideration for the position. That's fine, I thought. I'll ask again later.

Four weeks pass with no communication from the hiring manager and no expense reimbursement. I email the manager asking for an update on the reimbursement and the position. Finally, I learn that I am no longer being considered for the position. Now, one could assume that from the lack of contact. However, I feel it was disrespectful to say nothing after having me come out to Oracle HQ and spend a day with the team.

Regarding reimbursement, he didn't have any answers. I asked for a contact within Oracle HR for his team and he all but refused to provide one. After getting the run around via several correspondences, I called Oracle's main number and was transferred to the HR hotline. After a few minutes of waiting, the system put me into voice mail. I left my contact information and a brief explanation of the problem with reimbursement and the manager. I am now waiting for a response.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions stood out as particularly difficult. Unfortunately, what I remember is the communications problems, not the content of the interviews.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Oracle

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oracle in November 2013.

Interview

I submitted my resume at the University Career Fair in September 2013, and got contacted within a week. Scheduled an onsite interview without any phone screens. I was interviewed by 6 groups on both the Redwood city and the Santa Clara campuses. After the interviews the HR asked me to rank the groups according to my preferences.
    I got the feedback within 48 hours, and I got in the group that I was most interested in.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The offer was very competitive. I didn't negotiate.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I was acquired through an acquisition. No process involved.

Interview Questions

• Unsure of fate as the new company was taking over. In the end it was smooth.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Oracle (Broomfield, CO) in August 2013.

Interview

This was the most efficient interview process I've ever seen.

The HR phone screen was a standard 45 minute conversation with the recruiter. They made the decision to move forward within just a few hours.

The technical phone screen was with the Senior Engineer, hiring Manager and Manager's boss. Each had their own technical questions - the Senior engineer asked challenging technical questions about the Java language, the manager asked about schedules, project decisions, etc, and the Manager's boss asked about interpersonal skills and experiences. It was gruelling and I thought I had failed. They made the decision to move forward within 1 hour.

The on-site interview was most impressive: The hiring manager brought his entire team into a conference room and asked "Tell us about yourself". That allowed everyone to hear about me and we didn't need to go over my experience 6 times. Then all except 2 engineers left and they asked hard Java questions for a while, and then 2 others relieved them and asked more hard technical questions. Then the hiring manager came back and asked if I had any questions for him and then it was all over. Only 2 hours and they had a pretty good sense of what I could do. The downside was that I didn't get as much of a chance to learn about them as I would have liked. The best part? They made their decision and contacted me with an offer within two hours.

Interview Questions

• Here's an obscure piece of code. What will be printed at line 27? (actually, I got this question several times, but thankfully they didn't use messed-up variable names). They also asked about infrequently used language features: "Transient", "Volatile", "Finalize", etc.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They offered me a lower, but competitive salary, so I decided not to try to improve that. I did request more vacation time (which they were able to accomodate) and I also asked that they more their offices closer to my house :-) (they declined, but did agree that I could work from home sometimes).

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Oracle (Burlington, MA) in June 2013.

Interview

I was first interviewed by a recuriter, who of couse did not ask any technical questions. Then
     I was interviewed by several members of the group that I would be joining. In my case the interview
    questions were very light on details, but that was undoubtly because I was extremely experienced.

Interview Questions

• They were mostly interested in my technical experience. There was not attempt to ask me trick questions, as it was clear from my history that there was no need to check on my competance.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oracle (Redwood City, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

Initial phone screening. then 6 rounds of interview at onsite. after 3 weeks got a call from senior director regarding the offer negotiation.

Interview Questions

• You have 10 boxes of balls (each ball weighing exactly10 gm) with one box with defective balls (each one of the defective balls weigh 9 gm). You are given an electronic weighing machine and only one chance at it. How will find out which box has the defective balls?   2 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oracle.

Interview

Applied via website. Contacted promptly by HR, who gave me the standard interview (why do you want to change jobs, etc.). This was followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager, which lasted about an hour. Manager asked some behavioral and technical questions, after which we bantered for a while. He indicated interest in proceeding. The next step was to take a programming test, which I passed. That was followed by a more technical interview with an engineer. The following day the manager invited me for an in house interview. This covered topics like technical skills, soft skills , etc. The interview had group and smaller (1-2 interviewers) sessions. It lasted about 4 hours and included lunch.

The next day the manager told me that he wanted to hire me. This is where it got interesting, It took almost 2 months for an official offer to be made. The reason being is that the offer process goes all the way up the management chain to the CEO and can be vetoed by a number of people before it gets to his desk. When I finally got it, the offer included a 9% pay increase for me. After accepting the offer I had to complete the background check process, which was grueling. They verify every place you claimed to work for the past 10 years and ask for W2's to verify your salary claims.

Negotiation

There was no room for negotiation. It was take it or leave it. They did offer me a 9% pay increase, so this wasn't an issue

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oracle in February 2013.

Interview

two long rounds, took a while. Spoke with the entire team I would work with. Brought in code that I had written for my previous job to review.

Interview Questions

• write and explain a graph api, data structures questions, algorithms questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Oracle (Burlington, MA) in February 2012.

Interview

Applied online and got a call two weeks later. Basically going through my work experience and was told I will be contacted shortly. A week later HR arranged for in person interview that lasted 3 hours. Mostly technical questions. Abstract vs interface etc.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Got what I wanted

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Oracle (San Francisco, CA) in April 2011.

Interview

Asked about past experience, past projects, and some algorithmic questions. Not very difficult. People were nice and friendly. Was not asked a question like what's your greatest weakness. Algorithmic questions were on list, hash, bst, etc, plus some basic questions on java and sql.