Oregon Department of Human Services Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 22, 2017

3.4

OFFICE SPECIALIST Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseburg, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oregon Department of Human Services (Roseburg, OR) in March 2017.

Interview

The application process was very straightforward and you are able to view the status of your application online; however, the interview itself was a panel interview with about 8 people that all just sat with no expressions on their faces and stared at me the whole time during the interview.

Benefits Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oregon Department of Human Services (Beaverton, OR) in January 2017.

Interview

Came in on time and was met with intense sense of disorganization and major attitude from a current Benefit Specialist that was designated to walk the interview participants back to the room for the interview. I wasn't sure where her flippant irritated demeanor was coming from, it definitely left a horrible taste in my mouth about ever having to share a work environment with this individual.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a time when questions...nothing unique, the same artificial questions over and over.   1 Answer

Administrative Specialist I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Estacada, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Oregon Department of Human Services (Estacada, OR) in December 2016.

Interview

Very non-intimidating panel of 3-4 senior employees/managers. About 20 minutes of basic questions, then the rest of the time until 30 minutes for your own questions for them. You get 15 minutes to preview the questions and was even allowed to jot quick notes on the worksheet and have it placed in front of me during the interview. Very basic questions, didn't have to freeze or think hard on the spot. About 10-15 total.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing you would like us to know about you that makes you feel like you would be a great candidate for the job, etc.

Describe a time when..... handling upset customers, working with a coworker that made mistakes, when you were told by a boss that you weren't performing to task, etc.
      Answer Question

Human Services Specialist IV Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Oregon Department of Human Services.

Interview

I had to complete an application online that includes all the basics (personal info, work history, references, etc.). They also had me answer a slough of questions regarding previous work experiences in an essay format. Once this form gets sent off and the application time frame expires, it took a few days to get a request to confirm an interview time, which is self-scheduled on the government jobs web page. The interview was conducted by the managers in a question/answer format and they are looking for very specific answers so it pays to do your homework. It took about 2.5 weeks to get a response about the position after the interview was completed.

Public Affairs Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Oregon Department of Human Services (Salem, OR) in September 2016.

Interview

There were two rounds of interviews for job candidates, plus a take-home writing test.

The first round of interviews was with the hiring manager for the communications section, plus other members of the communications staff. I was given a preview of the questions a day in advance. Overall, I did well in the first round.

Finalists were advanced to the second round of interviews with the hiring manager and his bosses. I got the impression that the hiring manager’s bosses didn't know what they wanted. They seemed to be making up questions on the spot.

I didn’t get the job.

Interview Questions

• This can be a fast-paced job. How would you keep your supervisors and peers in the loop with what's going on? How do you prioritize urgent responsibilities when you have little time left to complete tasks?   Answer Question
    • Tell us a little about your experience working with confidential information?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about your communications experience, and your experience working in a complex, multi-level organization?   Answer Question

Human Services Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Corvallis, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oregon Department of Human Services (Corvallis, OR) in September 2016.

Interview

A verbal interview panel of four people. Asking multiple questions word for word from a list of interview questions. Each party writes diligently during the process rather than focusing on face contact to keep the notes accurate. Next a written essay done with pencil and paper. Last a follow up phone call.

Interview Questions

• Explain and give an example of a work place conflict you encountered and how you handled it.   1 Answer

Family Coach Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oregon Department of Human Services (Salem, OR) in May 2016.

Interview

Group Interview...surprise. Typical process, question to answer in front of the group, a "team work" exercise with seemingly little meaning and some written questions towards the end. My first group interview, so it was an interesting dynamic of being supportive to your competition and quietly but confidently selling yourself as the best choice. The written portion prior to the interview needs better standardizing. I've applied to this position before with the same answers to questions and didn't get invited due to some scoring shenanigans behind the scenes. The state is finicky with the words you use in your screening, regardless of whether there is deep experience and merit on your answer.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of how you helped someone take an action or make a change in a case management situation...roughly.   Answer Question

Social Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oregon Department of Human Services (Hillsboro, OR) in January 2016.

Interview

It was a group interview. Myself, two other candidates, and two interviewers. We took turns answering four questions we personally selected, then we were given a case to solve together.

Interview Questions

• Do I have experience working with children   1 Answer

Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Oregon Department of Human Services (Portland, OR) in August 2015.

Interview

It was a panel interview with 3 other interviewee included on the interview. At the end of the interview there as a team project that you worked together with the other interviewees. It was a different kind of interview were all of us were interviewed at the same time.

Interview Questions

• What is the main skill a receptionist should have?   1 Answer

Human Services Specialist I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oregon Department of Human Services (Portland, OR) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied Online, Included lengthy supplemental questions, was screened and referred to the hiring manager. Was invited to come in to take a skills test after 2 weeks. Then invited back for an interview after another 2 weeks. Prior to the interview I was given a sheet of questions to look at, then taken to a panel interview, I was prompted to lead the interview and I could talk my way through the question sheet. they wanted very detailed situation type answers for each and I waited a month to hear back. Was not offered the position.

Interview Questions

• All were tell a time when.. type of questions focused toward dealing with diverse groups of people and co -workers.   2 Answers