Oscar Health Software Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Oscar Health Software Engineering Interview Questions

Interviews at Oscar Health

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Oscar Health (New York, NY) in December 2019.

Interview

I’ll begin my review with my impression. It seems that Oscar is very intent on hiring people who are passionate about the company and its product. I made it clear that I had 3 other on-site interviews in the next month and a half, and I assume they took it to mean I wasn’t interested in Oscar in particular, which is true. They go a long way to describe how similar Oscar and its practices are to Google, which is all well and good, but let’s be honest, no engineer chose Oscar over Google and it makes the company seem insecure and inauthentic. One of the interviewers seemed to assume I was stuck when I was quietly thinking and were over involved so push back as needed. Still, the people were nice and the opportunity seemed technically appealing. Hiring and insurance are both expensive so I understand why they’d want to aggressively filter for talent they can be confident they’ll retain.

The interview process was straightforward. There was an initial exploration phone call with a recruiter. This conversation was mostly about what I know about Oscar, what the recruiter could tell me about Oscar, and what my and Oscar’s expectations were for next steps.

This was followed by a technical phone screen. This went as expected. The interviewer and I made introductions, I solved an algorithm problem, the interviewer asked me a follow up, I answered that, and then I was given a chance to ask about Oscar.

Finally, I had an on-site interview. The first round was an engineer giving me an overview and walkthrough of the Oscar product. I was given a chance to answer questions as the demo progressed. The next two rounds were standard white boarding sessions solving more algorithms problems. The fourth round was a systems design interview asking me how I’d implement an existing feature on Oscar. I finally had a conversation with my recruiter to wrap up my day.

Interview Questions

• Technical phone screen (LC Meeting Rooms): given a list of appointments represented as tuples (start, end), write a function that returns True if all the appointments can be handled by one doctor with no overlap and False if not.

Follow up, modify the original function to return the number of doctors needed to schedule all the appointments with no overlap.   1 Answer
  • On-site (approx. LC medium): given two periods represented as integer tuples of (start, end), write a function that determines the overlap.

Follow up, use the original function to merge two timelines that are represented as lists of periods that now have a 3rd property, a Boolean status. For example, t1 = [(-INF, 3, T), (3, 6, F), (6, INF, T)] and t2 = [(-INF, 3, F), (3, INF, T)]. The resulting timeline would be [(-INF, 3, F), (3, 6, F), (6, INF, T)].   1 Answer
  • On-site (approx LC medium but after you’ve seen enough DFS problems, easy): given a coffee machine with n buttons that pour a specified amount of coffee and a cup that can hold a bounded range of coffee, write a function that returns True if you can successfully fill the cup of coffee within the given range using the buttons of the coffee machine. For example, a coffee machine that can pour 4, 7, and 13 ounces cannot fill a cup that can hold 9 to 10 ounces of coffee. That same coffee machine can fill a cup that can hold 9 to 11 ounces of coffee.

Follow up, write a function that returns the button presses needed to successfully fill a given cup of coffee. For example, using our second cup that can hold 9 to 11 ounces of coffee, a user would need to press the 7 ounce button and the 4 ounce button.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Oscar Health

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Oscar Health.

Interview

Applied online and did phone screen with the company. Problems were pretty straightforward lc medium, coded optimal and working solutions. The interviewer seemed pretty non-interested in talking through the coding process, was pretty much on mute. I got a reject a few days later which surprised me. I have cleared major tech on-sites, could not understand the reason behind the reject. Felt I have wasted time in interviewing with this company. This company needs to look deeper into the interview process, the signals needed to hire developers should be strong and uniform, should not be based on whim of the interviewers.

Interview Questions

Oscar Health Response

Oct 1, 2019 – Sr Manager, Talent Brand

Thank you for sharing your feedback. All of our interviewers go through robust training and we aim to provide the best experience for our candidates but it seems like we fell short on delivering that promise. We will continue to assess our interview process and look for ways in which we can improve the experience for our candidates.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Generally neutral interview with a touch of negative. Some good stuff and bad stuff along the way that I'll share for you to watch out for:

GOOD:
    1. Phone screen questions were fair. Leetcode mediums with cordial interviewers.
    2. The first onsite stage is an informal demo/culture fit assessment. I appreciate that this is how the onsite starts and you're not thrown straight into a 22-year-old asking you to implement a hashmap first thing in the morning. You also get this opportunity to ask questions when most interview loops will give you 5 minutes tops, let alone 45 minutes. Moreover, some startups have their head so far up their butt where they get offended if you don't know what they do despite having zero information online. Oscar takes time to give you a demo despite being a more established startup, and I respect that.
    3. Onsite questions were generally fair.
    4. The tech industry can feel like a nerdy Mad Men so I appreciate that there were some women in the loop.

BAD
    1. You look around and it feels like Pleasantville. Why is every employee a 20-something yuppie? Why do I feel like I'm in gentrification central, and my rent was raised and my favorite ethnic restaurant was replaced by a Whole Foods just by being here? Why do I feel like lunch conversation will revolve around Kim K and Tapas? Why does every male dress in an OCBD, selvedge denim, killshots/iron rangers? Why do I feel like I'll get fired on my 30th birthday? Why do I feel like I'll be a graybeard when I turn 25? As someone from a more humble background, it sure as heck jarring being here. It's somehow diverse, yet not diverse at the same time. I've seen a Glassdoor review that confirms not a lot of people share that background.

2. Still haven't received interview feedback weeks after being told it would only take a week tops. Don't make promises that you can't follow through.

3. Still waiting on reimbursement for interview that was months ago. I've heard of people having to wait almost a year for reimbursement.

4. Interviewers were all over the place: One of the interviewers looked like they had just rolled out of the coffin and showed almost zero emotion during the interview. Bad day? One of the interviewers wouldn't stop swearing while referring to mundane day-to-day activities like release cycles and requirement gathering. If I swore like a sailor I'd be walked out, but for some reason I have to put up with an interviewer with a mild potty mouth. One of the interviewers had a thicc accent that had me clinging on to every word I could understand for dear life. One of my interviewers had trouble finding a marker/whiteboard that worked.

5. I'm waiting in the lobby because it's lunchtime and I'm greeted by a line that's a mile long. Goes to show that if I worked here, I'd just value my time and get my own lunch every day.

Interview Questions

• Leetcode Mediums and 1 System Design question   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Oscar Health in June 2019.

Interview

Recruiter found me online and reached out to talk, so I decided to have an exploratory conversation with them. Got a template rejection mail later that week. Weird.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Oscar   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Oscar Health (New York, NY) in February 2019.

Interview

Started off with a 1 hour technical phone screen. Asked about my background and told me about his. Moved onto algorithm coding portion on coderpad. Unfortunately they are one of those companies that think they can ask Google style questions without the benefits of working at Google. Checked on Leetcode after the interview and it was a hard. Question is posted in one of the other reviews on here. They are missing out on good candidates due to this outdated process.

Interview Questions

• Given 3 strings A B C, return true if C is a valid interweaving of strings A and B. Return false otherwise. Example: A=zzxy, B=xwv, C=zxzxywv Answer = True   Answer Question

Mar 15, 2019 – Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback! As we grow, we are continually trying to improve our interview process for our candidates. We will share this with our engineering and tech recruiting team to make sure our process is up to date. We wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oscar Health (New York, NY) in February 2019.

Interview

Had a call with a recruiter and this already gave me a bad impression of what this company is like.

He kept stressing that a lot of people from big companies like Google, etc. work here and that even their hiring process is like Google. This was his biggest selling point.

If I wanted to interview at Google, then I would just do that instead. I didn't get an idea of Oscar Health's identity and culture.

Interview Questions

Oscar Health Response

Mar 15, 2019 – Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. At Oscar, we recruit employees with lots of different talents and experiences to help us tackle the complex challenges of the health care industry. We're sorry to hear that this didn't come across in your interview and that you had a negative experience. We appreciate your feedback and we will take this back to our team to make sure our interview process is improved. We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Oscar Health (New York, NY).

Interview

It's a 2 part process - a phone screen (technical) then on site.

I didn't get past the phone screen. It's a 45 minute screen.

10 minute intro, they talked about Oscar and asked standard questions: talk about your current position & work, why are you interested in Oscar.

25 minutes for the technical question.

5 minutes for you to ask them questions (how do you like working at Oscar).

Example: A=zzxy, B=xwv, C=zxzxywv
      Answer = True   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Oscar Health in January 2019.

Interview

Started off with a recruiter call and then moved on to a 1 hour technical phone screen. The recruiter was very nice and easy to talk to! Definitely a very approachable person and explained the process well.

The technical screen is where it all goes downhill. The guy who called was a total arrogant jerk the entire call. He gave off the impression this was a complete waste of his time and didn't convey any enthusiasm or politeness during the call. As I was talking through the call and asking questions, I was met with total silence and I could hear loud typing as he was working during the call. I'm someone who completely believes a company needs to hire people who are team players and work well with others, not just those who may know how to code but come across as cold and unhelpful. So if this was an indication of the type of tech culture that's valued here, it's definitely not somewhere I want to work at.

Interview Questions

Oscar Health Response

Dec 13, 2019 – Sr Manager, Talent Brand

Thank you for interviewing at Oscar. We strive to provide the best interview experience for all candidates, and we want to sincerely apologize for the less than stellar experience you had. All of our interviewers go through training and the type of behaviors you described is not condoned. We will use this feedback to reinforce these values and ensure that this is not a repeated incident. We wish you all the best on your job search!

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Oscar Health in December 2018.

Interview

Reached out by a recruiter, he sent my resume to Oscar. Got an HR phone call to talk about my background, interests and goals, etc. Then got rejected since HR thought my answers were too succinct and he didn't feel my passion of joining the company... Well, suit yourself.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oscar Health (Los Angeles, CA) in December 2018.

Interview

one HR type phone screen and two technical phone screens. The second interviewer was a little rude during the final few minutes when I was asking questions, very unprofessional

Interview Questions

• Implement binary addition of two strings. In both interviews lol   Answer Question