Overstock.com Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.8

Sort:

Corporate Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2017.

Interview

It was very professional but casual. I was in a large conference room and met with 3-4 different people during the process. I then met with the VP of people care and was able to ask him the direction of the company and how I could help fulfill that vision.

Interview Questions

• What are you career aspirations?   1 Answer

Photo Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Valley City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Overstock.com (West Valley City, UT).

Interview

I had an initial phone interview where we basically went over my basic qualifications and what the job actually entails. Then I was asked to come in for a face to face interview. The interview consisted of answering a series of standard interview questions, completing a brief Photoshop quiz on basic commands including magic wand/selection, cropping, deleting backgrounds, image re-sizing, etc. There was a hiring freeze implemented soon after my interview so even tho management told me they wanted to offer me a position, I was not actually offered the position till several weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Time off during the fourth quarter (October 1 - December 31) is not allowed and on the rare exception that it is allowed it is only for senior employees. Asking if I was OK with not taking any time off during this period was a little unexpected but understandable as it is a retail company.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I tried to get a little higher compensation however they declined telling me that raises are based on performance.

Photo Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

Work in Photoshop and speak one on one with Zach the Editor leda.

Interview Questions

• Technical skills in photoshop. Personal stuff was easy, just stressful to have someone watch you work in PS.   Answer Question

Photo Stylist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

Digital interview and called the next day for face to face interview. Four interviewers in the room and wanted to know about background and experience and why I wanted the job

Associate Buyer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Overstock.com.

Interview

Very fast. Very casual. I had a phone screen first followrd by in person later on. I drove to the office at the base if the mountains. I was interviewers by a panal of 3 people while there.

Interview Questions

• If you were a tree, what type would you be?   1 Answer

Java Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Overstock.com in August 2013.

Interview

I got called from recruiter, then discuss with him.

He got me into their interview process, had me to do the online exam, and fill the questionaire form.

then, the recruiter arranged the phone interview with three senior person about 1 hour.

the second day of phone interview, he sent me onsite interview invite.

Interview Questions

• How do you write unit test code?   2 Answers

Negotiation

I did not do it.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in September 2011.

Interview

The flew me from houston, took care of my accommodation as well. Interviewers were extremely polite and friendly. Help was given whenever I was stuck in a problem. There was a lunch interview as well which consisted of personality related questions.

Interview Questions

• Apart from the regular Data Structures/ Algorithm type questions. One question which bummed me was ....If Larry Ellison calls and asks you what more would you like to add in Java(core) ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in August 2013.

Interview

I sent my resume through their homepage and received a response almost a month later. The response was a standard thank you for applying and attached a questionnaire with basic QA questions (ex: tell us what integration testing means to you, what is your experience with Linux, etc). I filled this out then got an email maybe two months later to set up a one hour phone interview. The phone interview was with two people, one was a senior software tester and the other gentleman I don't remember (he didn't talk too much). The person interviewing me sold me on the company, he was so easy to talk to and very encouraging when I didn't know an answer. The questions consisted of how I would test a certain scenario (how to develope a test case, etc). Asked me basic quesitons of SQL and Linux (how to create a table, update, cd, ls, top, ssh, very basic questions).

Then about a week later I got an onsite interview which lasted 4 hours. You interview with two people for an hour, then another two for an hour, then lunch (this is a 'social interview'), then another one hour interview with two people, then a brief interview with a director. There are many questions in these interviews and some of the people asking questions are extremely knowledgeable in the IT field. Keep this in mind and don't BS anything. If you don't know tell them. Be as detailed as possible when they ask you about testing certain things. You will be asked on how to test certain areas of web applications, databases, and other things that I can't remember. Everyone was extremely professional and very nice. If I didn't know something they would generally try to nudge me in the correct location.

Interview Questions

• How do you test information from our site that goes into a database?
           I thought this was a vague question so I was stumbling around in the dark a lot.

Most quesitons were expected, all focused on testing, SQL, and Linux.   Answer Question

Negotiation

This is one of my first jobs with a major company so I didn't negotiate at all. I would recommend you do though since they seem very flexible and hungry for good talent.

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in November 2014.

Interview

I was called by one of the recruiting agency and told about requirement in Ovestock for Software Tester(automation/manual) for full time opportunity. Once I confirmed the interest I was asked to fill in and send QA questionnaire mostly consisted of my experience in QA, development & automation. After a week I was contacted that my Resume is shortlisted for phone interview and I was interviewed for an hour by two gentlemen questions consisted based on my resume, my current experience, SQL & Unix.After couple of days I was told that I cleared the phone interview and got a invite for onsite interview. Overstock booked the flight ticket and hotel to stay. I landed in Salt lake city Sunday night and next morning on Monday interview started at 10 am lasted till 2.30 pm with 5 rounds of interview(3 technical, 30 mins lunch social interview/discussion & 30 mins director interview).
    1st Interview was taken by two gentlemen for an hour they were QA leads and interviewed me on my resume, current project & asked me all detailed questions on current work I am doing, methodologies, processes, tools and my involvement in the assignment.

2nd Interview was taken by development people and asked me detailed web application scenario based question on test design and test approach also asked few questions on selenium webdriver.

3rd one was lunch with 2 people which had formal discussions for 30 mins.

4th round was again technical QA round which consisted questions on SQL,Unix, automation. They asked me to go over java code and asked me to explain. I also asked to come up with test scenarios for one of their process.

5th round was with director and he explained health insurance package and several other information about overstock and asked me about salary expectations. at 2.30 pm cab was waiting outside the building and I was taken back to airport and then flight back home.
    During all this process all the people I met was so friendly and nice to me. I did not felt once that why I came to this place. During all interviews if I am not able to come to the answer that they are expecting, they would try and direct me to correct direction and help. Everyone was so professional and no arrogance at all. It was good experience.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Requested and offered was almost the same so did not negotiated, they offered pretty good reallocation bonus so it was win-win situation. plus they pay the Visa transfer fees if applicable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in January 2013.

Interview

Got an email from HR with position details and a questionnaire about my skills and experience on testing process, tools etc. Then got to round 2 - phone interview with 2 test leads for about an hour . The interviewers were good. Got an email nxt day from recruiter that they are moving fwd with others. Really disappointing.

Interview Questions

• 1) Walk through my CV and my current duties
      2) Technical questions on SQL, UNIX, basic diff in QTP and load runner, webserver - I answered everything   Answer Question