Overstock.com Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 22, 2017

2.8

Director of Market Intel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in June 2016.

Interview

Uncoordinated (initial interview involved people who thought they were interviewing someone else for a different position than I was interviewing for and left midway through once they realized). Despite a necessity of relocation, company offered an 8K signing bonus which was subject to income tax (meaning about $5k after tax) for a 2300 mile relocation that would cost approximately 25k. Company refused to pay out of pocket expenses (meals, airport parking) post onsite interview. Ridiculously unprofessional for an executive interview process.

Interview Questions

• If I were a song, what would my song name be?   1 Answer

Email Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied in April or May and didn't have a screening interview until June. This was a panel interview with 3 or 4 people. It was done on speaker phone which made it very difficult to clearly understand all of the questions. The questions were straight-forward and were applicable to the responsibilities of the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.
      How do you handle stress?
      How do you get cooperation from people you do not directly supervise/teammates?
      What email system was used at your previous employer?
      What experience have you had with email?
      Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Overstock.com.

Interview

Had a phone interview with the HR rep and then a group phone interview with other employees. Flew out for in-person interviews with much of the team. They were fairly simple interviews and not really clear if they were aligned on what they were looking for.

I ultimately declined the offer for three main reasons:
    - They bait and switched the offer so all of the sudden the salary, title, and benefits were below the expectations that had been communicated.
    - They have a highly constrictive non-compete agreement that was really the deal-breaker for me and they didn't share that until the offer was made. Career-killing for anyone that wants the option of leaving the company and finding another job.
    - The executive leadership is as nuts as all the reviews online say they are. No focus, no vision--this was made clear talking to multiple employees in the interviews and rang true in meeting with the President.

They made me an offer but I declined

Marketing Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Overstock.com.

Interview

The HR team member setup a call for the next day and then no-showed for the call. I gave them a second chance anyway.

On-site interview was easy but up-tight and corporate. The interview asked nothing substantial to the actual job I would be doing. They seem extremely corporate and political and the culture / environment sounds like it would be a terrible place to work.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want the job? How did you find the opening? What salary do you need?   Answer Question

Company Culture

ETL Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in April 2016.

Interview

I was basically searching for ETL Developer positions and came to know about this position in Glassdoor. Though the required tools and technologies were Oracle Golden Gate, Oracle Data Integrator and Microstrategy, somehow I have applied for the position as I wanted to take a chance as I am basically an Informatica ETL developer. Recruiter emailed me saying that the hiring panel was impressed by my resume ( I did not fake anything in my resume just stuck to the Informatica part).

I have answered all the questions with examples but they have sent me a automated reject mail the next day after the interview. I believe they rejected me because of my less hands on experience using the above mentioned tools except Informatica Powercenter.

Interview Questions

• 1. How did you come know about the position?
      2. Why did you leave your current job and why are you interested in this position?
      3. Tell me about yourself
      4. Describe your professional experience, explain your roles and responsibilities in the previous/current job.
      5. How would you rate yourself in SQL out of 10?
      6. Describe SCD Type 2 and Type 3 dimensions with examples.
      7. What is CDC (Change Data Capture)? Can you explain with examples?
      8. Explain about conformed, degenerate and junk dimensions with examples
      9. Explain Fact less fact table, Transaction fact table and Accumulated snapshot fact table with examples
      10. What is Ralph Kimball’s Data Warehouse approach?
      11. Explain Snow Flake schema and Star schema with examples? Which one of the both schemas are normalized and de-normalized? Which schema design would you prefer in a real time environment?
      12. Is Star schema preferred or Snow flake schema preferred? Explain and support your answer.
      13. With what type of Schema have your worked previously?
      14. Are you aware of Analytic functions in PL/SQL? List out different analytic functions and explain why are they used in real time?
      15. What is RowNumber function in PL/SQL?
      16. What are Rank and Dense Rank functions in PL/SQL? Explain the difference between them?
      1 Answer

Project Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in April 2016.

Interview

Did a video interview and was asked to do a group interview a few weeks later where we were asked to introduce ourselves and play a game. The concept of the game was to move ping pong balls through a process. The game lasted about 20 min and that was the end of the interview.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Overstock.com in April 2016.

Interview

Video interview, then I flew to SLC for a 'rush week'. You meet with many different teams and each interview is different. There are activities that some will ask you to perform, but remember that you are there for one reason!

Customer Service/Quality Coach Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

Very brief interview took a typing test also I was asked what I did in my previous employment and why I chose overstock.com. I answered that I was told about over stock.com by a current employees that work there and was told good things about overstock.com.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a bad situation that you turned around to be a good situation at your previous employer.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was actually no negotiations when you first start at overstock.com you are told that you will work nights and weekends you are also told that once you are there for a while that you can put in a request for days but still work weekends. There was no negotiation regarding rate of pay as it was pretty standard across the board for new customer service agents.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Overstock.com.

Interview

Asynchronous video interview
    Around 5-6 questions
    1) Which position are you applying for and why ?
    2) Past leadership experience
    3) Do you have any relevant experience in the position you are applying for
    4) If you had superpowers, what would you do and why

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Overstock.com.

Interview

Quick and easy application through the company website. Their HR representative reached out within 2 hours to request a digital interview. Digital interview was short and straight forward, but it was uncomfortable talking to a camera rather than a person. if you're not used to the digital interview style, it can be challenging to act natural.