Overstock.com Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Overstock.com Interview Questions

Updated Sep 26, 2017

2.8

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Overstock.com in February 2017.

Interview

Applied through the corporate site. A few days later, received an email invitation to complete a HireVue interview. Quick and simple. No super difficult questions. Personally thought I did only ok. A week or so later, received an email invitation for a request for an on site interview. Showed up, I interviewed with a total of 4 people, 2 at a time. Asked a combination of get to know me questions, why I'm interested, why Overstock.com, told me about the position, and had a good conversation.

After about 1 hour later, I was taken down and walked out. I was told they wanted to fill the position in the matter of a couple weeks. A few weeks went by, nothing from them so decided to follow up. Was told that this is still a priority for them and they are finalizing candidates. Yesterday I received a phone call for a verbal offer of the position.

I asked when the soonest they needed to know by with a final decision, due to me interviewing with multiple companies by this time, and was told the following morning.

I have decided to accept the offer. Everyone has been very friendly, professional, and I am excited to work on the marketing promotion team!

Interview Questions

• Tell me why you want to work at a place like Overstock.com?   Answer Question

Promotions Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Midvale, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Midvale, UT) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview was only a recorded video and honestly I think the process is lazy on the employer end. Interviews are stressful enough, but recording yourself is a whole new level. I spent a lot of time preparing for the video, where recruiters can cut the video in 5 seconds if they don't like what they see. I would much rather prefer a 20 minute in-person interview, being able to pick up on social cues and have a conversation. I don't think recorded videos give a very good, nor accurate view of candidates.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience using research to make decisions?   Answer Question

Team Lead Fraud Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online and got a call within a week. I received a request for a on-sight interview and meet with Manager, assistant manager, and a team lead. Pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Marketing Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Overstock.com in December 2016.

Interview

Applied online and got a request for Hirevue (online interview). Initial screening from a manager of the team and then was called in for an hour and a half interview with team mates, Manager and the director. Everything seemed positive and after a couple of hours I sent a thank you email to the HR and her response was positive too.

I hadn't received any feedback on the day the HR promised to get back . I emailed her the next day and she wanted me to take the hirevue again for another team and I was extremely confused. I replied back asking her for the feedback of the interview and she did not reply back the next couple of days. I then received another offer from some other company and left her a voicemail saying that I am still waiting on the interview feedback to make a final decision.

Again no reply for a couple of days, again emailed her about the offer and she finally replied back saying that I need to come in for another interview. I accepted that too thinking that it was the next step. Then she made clear that this was not the next step but a completely new interview for another team. And she added that the team I interviewed for had recruited some one else.

Do they not think that I needed a formal reply that I did not get through the interview. So much of confusion, absolutely zero professionalism. I would never interview again with overstock.

Interview Questions

• Experience based qns,
      what models would you build for certain situations. What would you do to make a campaign better
      Hypothetical scenario based questions and what steps need to be taken improve customer retention
      Why overstock and why this position
      Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in December 2016.

Interview

The Recruiter described a few different jobs that the Marketing Analyst could fall under and asked me to take a Digital Interview after our phone call. That was really unique. Heard back within a few days with news that they wanted to speak to me about another role. They emphasized that they feel I had the right "Culture Fit" and are assessing which roles might be best for me in the meantime. Overstock seems like a really cool place to be now.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

Great people, great environment. I don't have anything bad to say. Everyone was very friendly and welcome me. I was very excited to receive an offer. This was one of the best places I have ever interviewed at.

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Midvale, UT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Midvale, UT) in November 2016.

Interview

Multiple interviews were done. First one was with the recruiter, then one with the department team supervisors/managers and last one was with the main department manager. Getting through the online application filter program is the hardest though. It did take a long time to get through the whole interview process, which is normal with the Tech industry.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions such as past career experiences, future goals etc. Nothing too complex. There was an Excel spreadsheet test that had to be completed before the interviews.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Overstock.com.

Interview

I had a phone interview and then an interview at their office. The onsite interview was with two of the department managers. At one point in the interview their supervisor even came in and asked a few questions. They had me demonstrate understanding of google's search engine optimization and had me do a structuring drill on the white board.

Corporate Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in August 2016.

Interview

Email from recruiter three weeks after application to setup a 1:1. I was only given one day and time, if I couldn't make it I would not be considered.

The day before the interview, the recruiter emailed me at 4:25 PM saying it is moved to the new building. She never bothered to call, just an email at the very last minute. I did not see the email and didn't get back to her after 5:00 PM.

She never responded, the interview was in the morning so I called. Recruiter got the time wrong and gave me and the senior accountant a different interview time. She also told me to park in the wrong location. She said park in the North west visitor parking lot and not the parking garage. I arrived and the north parking lot was still under construction with security telling me that the recruiter is ignorant and I need to park in the garage.

I checked in the lobby and waited and waited. 25 minutes went by and I asked the assistant at the front desk and they contacted the recruiter again. Almost 35 minutes later the senior accountant finally came, she said there was miscommunication with the recruiter. The email told to ask for the recruiter directly, but she wasn't even in the office...

The senior accountant went over my resume, asked about graduate school, behavioral questions, experience with Workday and ERPs. It was a quick 15 minute interview and I left.

Recruiter emailed me a few hours later and scheduled a 1:1 interview with the director the next day.

The director was late 15 minutes and the first half ended up being a walking interview because the conference room was taken by another group. The interview ended up being a discussion about global economics, personal interests, background, the new building, with almost nothing regarding the actual position. I was never given the chance to ask questions or learn about the job. He kept cutting me off while I was speaking and interjected right after my response to his questions.

The next day I received an email from the recruiter for a HireVue 1 hour 15 minute assessment on math, spatial questions, writing, and behavior. I thought this was incredibly silly because the position is an entry level right out of college position that pays well below the median. I couldn't believe it and I was never given a reason why and it was ridiculous to ask me to complete this the same day while I am at work. I took it and didn't hear back.

I received an other offer and contacted Overstock six days later to see if I could get feedback. The recruiter was on vacation and put an out of office reply with a return date a week before. I heard back from another recruiter and she told me to wait. A day later she got back to me and said the senior acc and director don't know and I should expect something by the end of the week. They never bothered to give me any feedback on the promised deadlines.

The day after I accepted the other offer, the Senior acc. and dir. contacted me for references and transcripts. I told them I already accepted another offer and they were not dependable or accountable enough to contact me earlier and strung me along.

Overall, a huge mess with a lot of wasted time due to the recruiter and indecision on the employees involved. I would stay away. There were so many silly hoops to jump through and its up to you to keep the recruiter and the hiring people honest. If my experience is a reflection of the company, then they are better opportunities elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• What are you hobbies?
      What do you like to do for fun?
      How is school?
      What causing market growth?
      What about the economic markets in Japan?
      Do you invest?
      What do you think about the current markets and where we are headed?
      Do you have experience with Workday?   Answer Question
    • What is your experience with ERPs?
      What do you know about Overstock?
      What do you like to do for fun?
      What do you know about financial markets?
      Where do you think the economy is going?   Answer Question

ECommerce Marketing Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cottonwood Heights, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Cottonwood Heights, UT) in August 2016.

Interview

The process was pretty standard with a prescreening, phone interview and in person. The HR department does everything electronically and its extremely clinical so don't expect any person to person follow-up.

Also when I showed up for the in person interview, it was a bit disorganized as no one really knew who was to be talking to me and when. This made me think I was the "throw away" interview.

Interview Questions

• Make sure you are prepared with specific eCommerce experience examples. They are laser focused on email.   1 Answer