Overstock.com Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Overstock.com

2.8

Marketing Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in June 2017.

Interview

I interviewed for the SAME role with THREE different recruiters on three separate occasions, each 6+ mos apart. Either the hiring team can't determine how or whom to hire or turnover is insane. On the first occasion, I actually applied for the role. The next 2 times I was contacted, the recruiter found me. Apparently no one is trying to determine if they had previously spoken to a candidate. After an initial phone screen on the first interview, I had a 1-on-1 with the VP to whom this role reported. The best way to describe him was "wet blanket." Within the first 2 minutes of our conversation, I felt like I had been included to meet some diversity requirement (I'm female and in Utah, so I guess that makes me diverse) -- he was obviously uninterested. All the way around, based on my experience with Overstock and their treatment of candidates, this is not somewhere I'd ever work. Reviewing Glassdoor feedback, I'm obviously not the only one who feels this way.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself (all questions were reasonably straightforward).   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elma, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Elma, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

I received a phone call from a recruiter who was following up with my online application. I was asked a variety of questions related to a willingness to comply to general company policy and to the working environment. And I was asked if I agreed to the starting wage & package. After having a favorable conversation, I was scheduled for a face-to face interview at the job site as well as asked to complete an online typing test of which I needed to score at least 35 wpm. All I needed to do was take a screen shot of the result & email it to this person. The interview lasted for about 1 hour. In that time I was asked 4 open ended questions. Afterwards I asked about 10 questions. The time shared was relaxing & friendly.

Interview Questions

• Share an experience at which time a customer was dissatisfied. How did you respond and what did you do?   1 Answer
    • If a customer called the call center with a complaint of which you didn't have a solution, what would you do?   1 Answer
    • Explain a situation of which a customer was irate and you needed to be clever - had to provide an outside of the box solution.   Answer Question

Pricing Analyst Interview

Interview

online test, phone interview, video interview, onsite.
     It needs as least one month.
    people are good and nice. But they will not contact you anymore and tell you the results, if they do not decide to hire you.

Interview Questions

• not hard. but you need to understand the real problem and could help them.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Overstock.com.

Interview

Group interview to start with scenarios, wanted to know exp and group activity than one on one interview. Pretty laid back interview basically answered questions and they write down the answers. the whole process took about 2 mo pretty long process.,

Email Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by overstock.com. The interview process was fast, 1st Phone interview on Friday, 2nd Phone interview on Monday, in-person interview on Thursday.

I cut my vacation short to come back into town so I could do the in-person interview on Thursday. Had the interview at 10 AM. Once the second set of people came in they informed me the interview would be over by 11 AM as they had a meeting (I was scheduled to be there until 12). I had expressed that certain technical skills were rusty but I was still asked about how I would write some SQL. Fine and I should have brushed up beforehand but I did not realize how important they felt this was to the job. Again, fine.

The reason I gave this a negative review is after all of this and them being aware of my cutting my vacation short I get this email latter that day:

"Thanks so much for your interest in working with us! We know you have many options when seeking employment and feel privileged that you chose us as a potential employer. Unfortunately, at this time we have decided to move forward with other candidates. Should something change on our side we will not hesitate to contact you.

We wish you every personal and professional success with your job search and in the future. Please do not hesitate to apply with us in the future. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us at careers@overstock.com.

People Care"

I don't believe "People Care"

After someone has made an effort, spent their own time and money could they not at least fake that it had come from the recruiter that I had been dealing with? I think this is symbolic of how they would treat me as an employee so I am happy to not have been selected. Note to companies: don't treat people that interview with you like disposable items. First, you never know who they know, you may find out it was just a bad interview and want them back someday, and plenty of other reasons to treat employees and potential employees as valued humans.

Interview Questions

• How would you write a SQL query to pull up states? (Interviewer said the question is purposefully vague).   1 Answer

Corporate Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2017.

Interview

It was very professional but casual. I was in a large conference room and met with 3-4 different people during the process. I then met with the VP of people care and was able to ask him the direction of the company and how I could help fulfill that vision.

Interview Questions

• What are you career aspirations?   5 Answers

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in April 2017.

Interview

Very robust, lots of in-depth questions, really an opportunity for me to share my experience while learning about Overstock. A bit long overall. I applied early in the year, but, did not get a call back until April - there was a change going on in their recruiting department I guess. A bit slow to respond to my questions (recruiter), but, overall was very informative and easy to talk to. The actual day of interviews was go go go. I was out of stage, they treated me well bringing me in and making sure my accommodations were good.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in March 2017.

Interview

Onsite Interview - Two rounds of technical discussion followed by Director round . The first round panel asked the below question , but the question was not correct .The way he suggested also its not feasible ,In the end he agreed its not feasible based on his approach ,but still give the negative feedback which is shocking

Interview Questions

• Q.Graph problem to find the reachable nodes based on Neighbor nodes function , The input to method is any node/vertex   1 Answer

Senior Software Tester Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in March 2017.

Interview

Interview process was thorough, technical and to the resume. It was very cordial. The interviewers help you out whenever you are stuck. There will be Preliminary Questionaire, telephonic technical round, onsite technical and HR rounds. There will be a white board to show write and show some selenium codes as well.

Interview Questions

• Explain project architecture - Validating XSD - How MQs work, how to analyse any failure in MQ, Run test cases in multiple browsers in Selenium, Core Java Questions on Inheritance, Diff. between HTTP and Web Socket protocols, JavaScript in Selenium, Rest - HTTP codes to test for PUT and Post, JDBC steps to SQL, Assert Vs Verify, Unix - TOP, CHMOD, VI, GREP, PID etc.   1 Answer

Senior Talent Acquisition Partner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Midvale, UT

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Midvale, UT) in March 2017.

Interview

Smooth easy & quick! My recruiter at Overstock helped me prepare for my Interview what they want to see what their "ideal candidate looks like". Which led to me prepare a lot longer and more creative when I approached my onsite interview with the team. I came with answers to and questions better than I usually have in the past

Interview Questions

• What have I learned most over my career?
      If I were to own the company which direction would I take it?   1 Answer