Overstock.com Principal Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Overstock.com

1 Interview Review

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in August 2013.

Interview

They brought me in for a 4 hour interview, including lunch. First hour was with two engineering managers. They asked me to model a "professor" - "class" - "student" relationship as database tables and as JPA entities. Only complication was a many-to-many from students to classes.

Second hour was with a QA manager and dev manager. They asked me to create a class diagram for a Pilot - Flight Attendant - Passenger domain to show inheritance and polymorphism. Included a wrinkle where they introduce the pilot or flight attendant flying as a passenger "deadhead". I used composition to solve that problem, but I think decorator pattern would have been better.

Then lunch at a very nice restaurant with two project managers. Lots of time here to ask questions. But it was a bit awkward as they didn't talk freely but just question and answer over lunch.

Then interviewed with two architects. They asked me to navigate a directed graph with cycles. Study your recursion for this problem.

Final interview was with a dev manager who just answered any final questions.

They responded very quickly with a hiring decision.

Interview Questions

• Create a class diagram for this situation:

Pilot (fly plane, get drink, consume drink)
    Flight Attendant (get drink, consume drink, serve drink)
    Passenger (get drink, consume drink, ride plane)

Now, add concept of "deadhead", which is a pilot or flight attendant riding as a passenger. Pilot or flight attendant can only be Pilot/Attendant or Deadhead mutually exclusively.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They asked how much I was looking for, and then countered slightly lower but included a signing bonus.