Overstock.com Interview Questions in Utah | Glassdoor

Updated May 15, 2017

25 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Email Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by overstock.com. The interview process was fast, 1st Phone interview on Friday, 2nd Phone interview on Monday, in-person interview on Thursday.

I cut my vacation short to come back into town so I could do the in-person interview on Thursday. Had the interview at 10 AM. Once the second set of people came in they informed me the interview would be over by 11 AM as they had a meeting (I was scheduled to be there until 12). I had expressed that certain technical skills were rusty but I was still asked about how I would write some SQL. Fine and I should have brushed up beforehand but I did not realize how important they felt this was to the job. Again, fine.

The reason I gave this a negative review is after all of this and them being aware of my cutting my vacation short I get this email latter that day:

"Thanks so much for your interest in working with us! We know you have many options when seeking employment and feel privileged that you chose us as a potential employer. Unfortunately, at this time we have decided to move forward with other candidates. Should something change on our side we will not hesitate to contact you.

We wish you every personal and professional success with your job search and in the future. Please do not hesitate to apply with us in the future. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us at careers@overstock.com.

People Care"

I don't believe "People Care"

After someone has made an effort, spent their own time and money could they not at least fake that it had come from the recruiter that I had been dealing with? I think this is symbolic of how they would treat me as an employee so I am happy to not have been selected. Note to companies: don't treat people that interview with you like disposable items. First, you never know who they know, you may find out it was just a bad interview and want them back someday, and plenty of other reasons to treat employees and potential employees as valued humans.

Interview Questions

• How would you write a SQL query to pull up states? (Interviewer said the question is purposefully vague).   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in March 2017.

Interview

Onsite Interview - Two rounds of technical discussion followed by Director round . The first round panel asked the below question , but the question was not correct .The way he suggested also its not feasible ,In the end he agreed its not feasible based on his approach ,but still give the negative feedback which is shocking

Interview Questions

• Q.Graph problem to find the reachable nodes based on Neighbor nodes function , The input to method is any node/vertex   1 Answer

Promotions Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Midvale, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Midvale, UT) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview was only a recorded video and honestly I think the process is lazy on the employer end. Interviews are stressful enough, but recording yourself is a whole new level. I spent a lot of time preparing for the video, where recruiters can cut the video in 5 seconds if they don't like what they see. I would much rather prefer a 20 minute in-person interview, being able to pick up on social cues and have a conversation. I don't think recorded videos give a very good, nor accurate view of candidates.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience using research to make decisions?   Answer Question

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in December 2016.

Interview

The Recruiter described a few different jobs that the Marketing Analyst could fall under and asked me to take a Digital Interview after our phone call. That was really unique. Heard back within a few days with news that they wanted to speak to me about another role. They emphasized that they feel I had the right "Culture Fit" and are assessing which roles might be best for me in the meantime. Overstock seems like a really cool place to be now.

Corporate Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in August 2016.

Interview

Email from recruiter three weeks after application to setup a 1:1. I was only given one day and time, if I couldn't make it I would not be considered.

The day before the interview, the recruiter emailed me at 4:25 PM saying it is moved to the new building. She never bothered to call, just an email at the very last minute. I did not see the email and didn't get back to her after 5:00 PM.

She never responded, the interview was in the morning so I called. Recruiter got the time wrong and gave me and the senior accountant a different interview time. She also told me to park in the wrong location. She said park in the North west visitor parking lot and not the parking garage. I arrived and the north parking lot was still under construction with security telling me that the recruiter is ignorant and I need to park in the garage.

I checked in the lobby and waited and waited. 25 minutes went by and I asked the assistant at the front desk and they contacted the recruiter again. Almost 35 minutes later the senior accountant finally came, she said there was miscommunication with the recruiter. The email told to ask for the recruiter directly, but she wasn't even in the office...

The senior accountant went over my resume, asked about graduate school, behavioral questions, experience with Workday and ERPs. It was a quick 15 minute interview and I left.

Recruiter emailed me a few hours later and scheduled a 1:1 interview with the director the next day.

The director was late 15 minutes and the first half ended up being a walking interview because the conference room was taken by another group. The interview ended up being a discussion about global economics, personal interests, background, the new building, with almost nothing regarding the actual position. I was never given the chance to ask questions or learn about the job. He kept cutting me off while I was speaking and interjected right after my response to his questions.

The next day I received an email from the recruiter for a HireVue 1 hour 15 minute assessment on math, spatial questions, writing, and behavior. I thought this was incredibly silly because the position is an entry level right out of college position that pays well below the median. I couldn't believe it and I was never given a reason why and it was ridiculous to ask me to complete this the same day while I am at work. I took it and didn't hear back.

I received an other offer and contacted Overstock six days later to see if I could get feedback. The recruiter was on vacation and put an out of office reply with a return date a week before. I heard back from another recruiter and she told me to wait. A day later she got back to me and said the senior acc and director don't know and I should expect something by the end of the week. They never bothered to give me any feedback on the promised deadlines.

The day after I accepted the other offer, the Senior acc. and dir. contacted me for references and transcripts. I told them I already accepted another offer and they were not dependable or accountable enough to contact me earlier and strung me along.

Overall, a huge mess with a lot of wasted time due to the recruiter and indecision on the employees involved. I would stay away. There were so many silly hoops to jump through and its up to you to keep the recruiter and the hiring people honest. If my experience is a reflection of the company, then they are better opportunities elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• What are you hobbies?
      What do you like to do for fun?
      How is school?
      What causing market growth?
      What about the economic markets in Japan?
      Do you invest?
      What do you think about the current markets and where we are headed?
      Do you have experience with Workday?   Answer Question
    • What is your experience with ERPs?
      What do you know about Overstock?
      What do you like to do for fun?
      What do you know about financial markets?
      Where do you think the economy is going?   Answer Question

ECommerce Marketing Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cottonwood Heights, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Cottonwood Heights, UT) in August 2016.

Interview

The process was pretty standard with a prescreening, phone interview and in person. The HR department does everything electronically and its extremely clinical so don't expect any person to person follow-up.

Also when I showed up for the in person interview, it was a bit disorganized as no one really knew who was to be talking to me and when. This made me think I was the "throw away" interview.

Interview Questions

• Make sure you are prepared with specific eCommerce experience examples. They are laser focused on email.   1 Answer

Demand Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in June 2016.

Interview

Just had a first panel interview on the phone with a two senior DMAs and one new DMA. The call was very friendly and lasted for about an hour. They did ask me at the very end a curve ball question.

Interview Questions

• The last question of the interview was meant to be a curve ball. They asked,"If you find out in a week or two the you weren't offered the job, why would you think you didn't get an offer?"   1 Answer

Email Marketing Interview

Application

Interview

I applied in April or May and didn't have a screening interview until June. This was a panel interview with 3 or 4 people. It was done on speaker phone which made it very difficult to clearly understand all of the questions. The questions were straight-forward and were applicable to the responsibilities of the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.
      How do you handle stress?
      How do you get cooperation from people you do not directly supervise/teammates?
      What email system was used at your previous employer?
      What experience have you had with email?   Answer Question

ETL Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in April 2016.

Interview

I was basically searching for ETL Developer positions and came to know about this position in Glassdoor. Though the required tools and technologies were Oracle Golden Gate, Oracle Data Integrator and Microstrategy, somehow I have applied for the position as I wanted to take a chance as I am basically an Informatica ETL developer. Recruiter emailed me saying that the hiring panel was impressed by my resume ( I did not fake anything in my resume just stuck to the Informatica part).

I have answered all the questions with examples but they have sent me a automated reject mail the next day after the interview. I believe they rejected me because of my less hands on experience using the above mentioned tools except Informatica Powercenter.

Interview Questions

• 1. How did you come know about the position?
      2. Why did you leave your current job and why are you interested in this position?
      3. Tell me about yourself
      4. Describe your professional experience, explain your roles and responsibilities in the previous/current job.
      5. How would you rate yourself in SQL out of 10?
      6. Describe SCD Type 2 and Type 3 dimensions with examples.
      7. What is CDC (Change Data Capture)? Can you explain with examples?
      8. Explain about conformed, degenerate and junk dimensions with examples
      9. Explain Fact less fact table, Transaction fact table and Accumulated snapshot fact table with examples
      10. What is Ralph Kimball’s Data Warehouse approach?
      11. Explain Snow Flake schema and Star schema with examples? Which one of the both schemas are normalized and de-normalized? Which schema design would you prefer in a real time environment?
      12. Is Star schema preferred or Snow flake schema preferred? Explain and support your answer.
      13. With what type of Schema have your worked previously?
      14. Are you aware of Analytic functions in PL/SQL? List out different analytic functions and explain why are they used in real time?
      15. What is RowNumber function in PL/SQL?
      16. What are Rank and Dense Rank functions in PL/SQL? Explain the difference between them?   1 Answer

Project Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in April 2016.

Interview

Did a video interview and was asked to do a group interview a few weeks later where we were asked to introduce ourselves and play a game. The concept of the game was to move ping pong balls through a process. The game lasted about 20 min and that was the end of the interview.