Overstock.com Interview Questions in Utah | Glassdoor

2.8

98 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cottonwood Heights, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Cottonwood Heights, UT) in February 2008.

Interview

I first did a phone interview with my boss-to-be that took about an hour. They called me back the next day that they had decided to schedule an in person interview. That interview started as a one-on-one with just the manager for about an hour, then he brought in three members of the team to talk to me and test me skills, which lasted about another hour. Finally, he took me to lunch with the SVP of Technology which was more informal in nature. About three hours in total from when I got there to when I left. They offered me the job after we had lunch.

Interview Questions

• How would you set up a server to act as bastion host?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I came in through a recruiter, and I let him handle the salary negotiations.

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in April 2017.

Interview

Very robust, lots of in-depth questions, really an opportunity for me to share my experience while learning about Overstock. A bit long overall. I applied early in the year, but, did not get a call back until April - there was a change going on in their recruiting department I guess. A bit slow to respond to my questions (recruiter), but, overall was very informative and easy to talk to. The actual day of interviews was go go go. I was out of stage, they treated me well bringing me in and making sure my accommodations were good.

Promotions Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Midvale, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Midvale, UT) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview was only a recorded video and honestly I think the process is lazy on the employer end. Interviews are stressful enough, but recording yourself is a whole new level. I spent a lot of time preparing for the video, where recruiters can cut the video in 5 seconds if they don't like what they see. I would much rather prefer a 20 minute in-person interview, being able to pick up on social cues and have a conversation. I don't think recorded videos give a very good, nor accurate view of candidates.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience using research to make decisions?   Answer Question

Demand Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cottonwood Heights, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Cottonwood Heights, UT).

Interview

The one interview question that was bogus was the interview question where they ask you a quantitive question that is impossible to complete. The solution is literally impossible. They have you spend 30 minutes with each person and its 5 hours long.

Interview Questions

• They sit you down in a room and give you a problem with 20 minutes to come up with an inventory replenishment solution without running out of cash.   Answer Question

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in October 2015.

Interview

Started out with a 30 minute phone interview where I was asked about knowledge regarding HTML, CSS and JavaScript. About 3 days after the phone interview I was contacted to set up a 90 minute on site interview. The on site interview was more questions about HTML, CSS and JavaScript, in addition to questions about my personality, and doing some test coding on a whiteboard. I was contacted 3 days later with an offer.

Interview Questions

• What do you do if a web designer gives you a design, but the font used is not a standard font used in CSS?   1 Answer

Negotiation

At the end of the interview they asked me my salary requirements. I gave them a $5,000.00 range, and they offered me at the top of my range. No negotiations needed.

Business Intelligence Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process was an hour long meeting. Starting with the usual interview type questions about myself, schooling, and previous work experience. The second half of the interview was a SQL whiteboard test consisting of being given a simple ERD and then being asked various questions about how to acquire the needed data. Each subsequent question built on the previous and required different grouping/sorting options along with knowing how to treat null values.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in April 2014.

Interview

Mostly writing code examples for a panel of technical leads on the whiteboard. Although I felt I Although I knew the material well, and answered the questions well, I was knocked down for a few simple issues like missing a curly brace or not knowing the exact spelling of collection methods.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in March 2015.

Interview

Is a 4 1/2 hour interview. You talk with two or three people at a time, and they rotate every hour or so. They do take you out to lunch. They ask difficult coding questions, you might even call them trick questions. You must consider edge cases in your answer. It seems that the "textbook" solution is often not the correct solution due to the edge cases in their scenarios.

Interview Questions

• What are some important things to consider when designing a RESTful web service?   Answer Question

Software Tester Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in August 2013.

Interview

I sent my resume through their homepage and received a response almost a month later. The response was a standard thank you for applying and attached a questionnaire with basic QA questions (ex: tell us what integration testing means to you, what is your experience with Linux, etc). I filled this out then got an email maybe two months later to set up a one hour phone interview. The phone interview was with two people, one was a senior software tester and the other gentleman I don't remember (he didn't talk too much). The person interviewing me sold me on the company, he was so easy to talk to and very encouraging when I didn't know an answer. The questions consisted of how I would test a certain scenario (how to develope a test case, etc). Asked me basic quesitons of SQL and Linux (how to create a table, update, cd, ls, top, ssh, very basic questions).

Then about a week later I got an onsite interview which lasted 4 hours. You interview with two people for an hour, then another two for an hour, then lunch (this is a 'social interview'), then another one hour interview with two people, then a brief interview with a director. There are many questions in these interviews and some of the people asking questions are extremely knowledgeable in the IT field. Keep this in mind and don't BS anything. If you don't know tell them. Be as detailed as possible when they ask you about testing certain things. You will be asked on how to test certain areas of web applications, databases, and other things that I can't remember. Everyone was extremely professional and very nice. If I didn't know something they would generally try to nudge me in the correct location.

Interview Questions

• How do you test information from our site that goes into a database?
           I thought this was a vague question so I was stumbling around in the dark a lot.

Most quesitons were expected, all focused on testing, SQL, and Linux.   Answer Question

Negotiation

This is one of my first jobs with a major company so I didn't negotiate at all. I would recommend you do though since they seem very flexible and hungry for good talent.

Tech Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in August 2013.

Interview

The interview was not too bad. Basic questions about IT. The major kicker was the riddle they asked me. Out of about 20 people, I was the only one to answer it correctly. The basic idea of asking the riddle was to see how I think things through.

Interview Questions

• The riddle was the most difficult and unexpected question. I would say what the riddle was but I would rather have it be equal challenge for future hires coming in.   Answer Question