Overstock.com Interview Questions in Utah | Glassdoor

Overstock.com Interview Questions in Utah

Updated Apr 14, 2017

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in November 2009.

Interview

I spoke with someone on the phone. I then had a one on one interview, after which I took a few PC based tests, such as typing and vocabulary. It was very smooth and simple.

Interview Questions

• I'm afraid I don't remember any difficult questions. I found it a bit challenging to answer the same type of questions repeatedly and provide good answers, however.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't have a negotiation phase as that's not my forte when applying for work.

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in January 2010.

Interview

First interview followed by second 'writing test' interview two days later. Received notice of hire later that day.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Pay is poor for the position. No negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Tooele, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Tooele, UT) in September 2009.

Interview

They call you for an interview, you go they ask you a couple of questions and do a typing test.

Interview Questions

• I you could have dinner with someone either alive or dead who would it be and why.   Answer Question

Negotiation

at the time of intervie I was asked what shift i wanted and when they called to offer the job, they said "oh by the way the day shift is not available, you will have to work the night shift." I needed a job

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in September 2010.

Interview

Basic typing test and answer 5 questions like "what would you do if, or name a time that"

Interview Questions

Negotiation

NA

Corporate Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in November 2012.

Interview

A director level accountant called for short chat and to set up an in person interview. The interview had a laid back, but professional feel to it and took place on time with 2 accounting managers covering general work experience, interests and reasons for wanting to work at Overstock. The second part of the interview was with the director and reviewed similar information.

I was contacted in a reasonable amount of time after the interview, an offer was made, accepted and an offer letter was sent out for my signature. They were flexible on start date due to some travel I had planned.

I wore a suit to the interview, but dress at Overstock is casual to business casual depending on role with occasional exception for select employees that have board/executive exposure in large meetings.

Interview Questions

• [Paraphrase] "What specific accounting experience do you have related to traditional 'nuts and bolts' accounting such as journal entries, accruals, support, etc.?"   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in September 2014.

Interview

Very brief, no real depth to the interview. I only met with two very senior people.They would clearly take any warm body. I feel that they had already made the decision to hire based upon my resume and that the interview was just a formality. The onsite interview only lasted just over an hour.

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in September 2014.

Interview

Very casual - 2 interviews. They were more interested in hiring vs. asking questions. My advice would be to be much more discerning in understanding the job they are offering, how you will be measured, etc. The job and "level of responsibility" I was presented was vastly different from what I ended up with. Probe carefully what decisions you will be able to make and if you talk about any "future benefits/raises" get it in writing.

Content Moderation Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in October 2015.

Interview

I had an email request for an interview which I didn't see for weeks Then I finally had a phone interview first, and then an in-person interview. Both were with two individuals, my supervisor and my predecessor.

Interview Questions

• Greatest strengths and greatest weaknesses.   1 Answer

Customer Service/Quality Coach Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

Very brief interview took a typing test also I was asked what I did in my previous employment and why I chose overstock.com. I answered that I was told about over stock.com by a current employees that work there and was told good things about overstock.com.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a bad situation that you turned around to be a good situation at your previous employer.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was actually no negotiations when you first start at overstock.com you are told that you will work nights and weekends you are also told that once you are there for a while that you can put in a request for days but still work weekends. There was no negotiation regarding rate of pay as it was pretty standard across the board for new customer service agents.

Corporate Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in August 2016.

Interview

Email from recruiter three weeks after application to setup a 1:1. I was only given one day and time, if I couldn't make it I would not be considered.

The day before the interview, the recruiter emailed me at 4:25 PM saying it is moved to the new building. She never bothered to call, just an email at the very last minute. I did not see the email and didn't get back to her after 5:00 PM.

She never responded, the interview was in the morning so I called. Recruiter got the time wrong and gave me and the senior accountant a different interview time. She also told me to park in the wrong location. She said park in the North west visitor parking lot and not the parking garage. I arrived and the north parking lot was still under construction with security telling me that the recruiter is ignorant and I need to park in the garage.

I checked in the lobby and waited and waited. 25 minutes went by and I asked the assistant at the front desk and they contacted the recruiter again. Almost 35 minutes later the senior accountant finally came, she said there was miscommunication with the recruiter. The email told to ask for the recruiter directly, but she wasn't even in the office...

The senior accountant went over my resume, asked about graduate school, behavioral questions, experience with Workday and ERPs. It was a quick 15 minute interview and I left.

Recruiter emailed me a few hours later and scheduled a 1:1 interview with the director the next day.

The director was late 15 minutes and the first half ended up being a walking interview because the conference room was taken by another group. The interview ended up being a discussion about global economics, personal interests, background, the new building, with almost nothing regarding the actual position. I was never given the chance to ask questions or learn about the job. He kept cutting me off while I was speaking and interjected right after my response to his questions.

The next day I received an email from the recruiter for a HireVue 1 hour 15 minute assessment on math, spatial questions, writing, and behavior. I thought this was incredibly silly because the position is an entry level right out of college position that pays well below the median. I couldn't believe it and I was never given a reason why and it was ridiculous to ask me to complete this the same day while I am at work. I took it and didn't hear back.

I received an other offer and contacted Overstock six days later to see if I could get feedback. The recruiter was on vacation and put an out of office reply with a return date a week before. I heard back from another recruiter and she told me to wait. A day later she got back to me and said the senior acc and director don't know and I should expect something by the end of the week. They never bothered to give me any feedback on the promised deadlines.

The day after I accepted the other offer, the Senior acc. and dir. contacted me for references and transcripts. I told them I already accepted another offer and they were not dependable or accountable enough to contact me earlier and strung me along.

Overall, a huge mess with a lot of wasted time due to the recruiter and indecision on the employees involved. I would stay away. There were so many silly hoops to jump through and its up to you to keep the recruiter and the hiring people honest. If my experience is a reflection of the company, then they are better opportunities elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• What are you hobbies?
      What do you like to do for fun?
      How is school?
      What causing market growth?
      What about the economic markets in Japan?
      Do you invest?
      What do you think about the current markets and where we are headed?
      Do you have experience with Workday?
      Answer Question
    • What is your experience with ERPs?
      What do you know about Overstock?
      What do you like to do for fun?
      What do you know about financial markets?
      Where do you think the economy is going?
      Answer Question