Overstock.com Interview Questions in Utah | Glassdoor

2.8

100 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Corporate Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in August 2016.

Interview

Email from recruiter three weeks after application to setup a 1:1. I was only given one day and time, if I couldn't make it I would not be considered.

The day before the interview, the recruiter emailed me at 4:25 PM saying it is moved to the new building. She never bothered to call, just an email at the very last minute. I did not see the email and didn't get back to her after 5:00 PM.

She never responded, the interview was in the morning so I called. Recruiter got the time wrong and gave me and the senior accountant a different interview time. She also told me to park in the wrong location. She said park in the North west visitor parking lot and not the parking garage. I arrived and the north parking lot was still under construction with security telling me that the recruiter is ignorant and I need to park in the garage.

I checked in the lobby and waited and waited. 25 minutes went by and I asked the assistant at the front desk and they contacted the recruiter again. Almost 35 minutes later the senior accountant finally came, she said there was miscommunication with the recruiter. The email told to ask for the recruiter directly, but she wasn't even in the office...

The senior accountant went over my resume, asked about graduate school, behavioral questions, experience with Workday and ERPs. It was a quick 15 minute interview and I left.

Recruiter emailed me a few hours later and scheduled a 1:1 interview with the director the next day.

The director was late 15 minutes and the first half ended up being a walking interview because the conference room was taken by another group. The interview ended up being a discussion about global economics, personal interests, background, the new building, with almost nothing regarding the actual position. I was never given the chance to ask questions or learn about the job. He kept cutting me off while I was speaking and interjected right after my response to his questions.

The next day I received an email from the recruiter for a HireVue 1 hour 15 minute assessment on math, spatial questions, writing, and behavior. I thought this was incredibly silly because the position is an entry level right out of college position that pays well below the median. I couldn't believe it and I was never given a reason why and it was ridiculous to ask me to complete this the same day while I am at work. I took it and didn't hear back.

I received an other offer and contacted Overstock six days later to see if I could get feedback. The recruiter was on vacation and put an out of office reply with a return date a week before. I heard back from another recruiter and she told me to wait. A day later she got back to me and said the senior acc and director don't know and I should expect something by the end of the week. They never bothered to give me any feedback on the promised deadlines.

The day after I accepted the other offer, the Senior acc. and dir. contacted me for references and transcripts. I told them I already accepted another offer and they were not dependable or accountable enough to contact me earlier and strung me along.

Overall, a huge mess with a lot of wasted time due to the recruiter and indecision on the employees involved. I would stay away. There were so many silly hoops to jump through and its up to you to keep the recruiter and the hiring people honest. If my experience is a reflection of the company, then they are better opportunities elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• What are you hobbies?
      What do you like to do for fun?
      How is school?
      What causing market growth?
      What about the economic markets in Japan?
      Do you invest?
      What do you think about the current markets and where we are headed?
      Do you have experience with Workday?   Answer Question
    • What is your experience with ERPs?
      What do you know about Overstock?
      What do you like to do for fun?
      What do you know about financial markets?
      Where do you think the economy is going?   Answer Question

ECommerce Marketing Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cottonwood Heights, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Cottonwood Heights, UT) in August 2016.

Interview

The process was pretty standard with a prescreening, phone interview and in person. The HR department does everything electronically and its extremely clinical so don't expect any person to person follow-up.

Also when I showed up for the in person interview, it was a bit disorganized as no one really knew who was to be talking to me and when. This made me think I was the "throw away" interview.

Interview Questions

• Make sure you are prepared with specific eCommerce experience examples. They are laser focused on email.   1 Answer

Demand Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in June 2016.

Interview

Just had a first panel interview on the phone with a two senior DMAs and one new DMA. The call was very friendly and lasted for about an hour. They did ask me at the very end a curve ball question.

Interview Questions

• The last question of the interview was meant to be a curve ball. They asked,"If you find out in a week or two the you weren't offered the job, why would you think you didn't get an offer?"   1 Answer

Director of Market Intel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in June 2016.

Interview

Uncoordinated (initial interview involved people who thought they were interviewing someone else for a different position than I was interviewing for and left midway through once they realized). Despite a necessity of relocation, company offered an 8K signing bonus which was subject to income tax (meaning about $5k after tax) for a 2300 mile relocation that would cost approximately 25k. Company refused to pay out of pocket expenses (meals, airport parking) post onsite interview. Ridiculously unprofessional for an executive interview process.

Interview Questions

• If I were a song, what would my song name be?   1 Answer

Email Marketing Interview

Application

Interview

I applied in April or May and didn't have a screening interview until June. This was a panel interview with 3 or 4 people. It was done on speaker phone which made it very difficult to clearly understand all of the questions. The questions were straight-forward and were applicable to the responsibilities of the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.
      How do you handle stress?
      How do you get cooperation from people you do not directly supervise/teammates?
      What email system was used at your previous employer?
      What experience have you had with email?   Answer Question

ETL Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in April 2016.

Interview

I was basically searching for ETL Developer positions and came to know about this position in Glassdoor. Though the required tools and technologies were Oracle Golden Gate, Oracle Data Integrator and Microstrategy, somehow I have applied for the position as I wanted to take a chance as I am basically an Informatica ETL developer. Recruiter emailed me saying that the hiring panel was impressed by my resume ( I did not fake anything in my resume just stuck to the Informatica part).

I have answered all the questions with examples but they have sent me a automated reject mail the next day after the interview. I believe they rejected me because of my less hands on experience using the above mentioned tools except Informatica Powercenter.

Interview Questions

• 1. How did you come know about the position?
      2. Why did you leave your current job and why are you interested in this position?
      3. Tell me about yourself
      4. Describe your professional experience, explain your roles and responsibilities in the previous/current job.
      5. How would you rate yourself in SQL out of 10?
      6. Describe SCD Type 2 and Type 3 dimensions with examples.
      7. What is CDC (Change Data Capture)? Can you explain with examples?
      8. Explain about conformed, degenerate and junk dimensions with examples
      9. Explain Fact less fact table, Transaction fact table and Accumulated snapshot fact table with examples
      10. What is Ralph Kimball’s Data Warehouse approach?
      11. Explain Snow Flake schema and Star schema with examples? Which one of the both schemas are normalized and de-normalized? Which schema design would you prefer in a real time environment?
      12. Is Star schema preferred or Snow flake schema preferred? Explain and support your answer.
      13. With what type of Schema have your worked previously?
      14. Are you aware of Analytic functions in PL/SQL? List out different analytic functions and explain why are they used in real time?
      15. What is RowNumber function in PL/SQL?
      16. What are Rank and Dense Rank functions in PL/SQL? Explain the difference between them?   1 Answer

Project Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in April 2016.

Interview

Did a video interview and was asked to do a group interview a few weeks later where we were asked to introduce ourselves and play a game. The concept of the game was to move ping pong balls through a process. The game lasted about 20 min and that was the end of the interview.

Customer Service/Quality Coach Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

Very brief interview took a typing test also I was asked what I did in my previous employment and why I chose overstock.com. I answered that I was told about over stock.com by a current employees that work there and was told good things about overstock.com.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a bad situation that you turned around to be a good situation at your previous employer.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was actually no negotiations when you first start at overstock.com you are told that you will work nights and weekends you are also told that once you are there for a while that you can put in a request for days but still work weekends. There was no negotiation regarding rate of pay as it was pretty standard across the board for new customer service agents.

Senior Prouct Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in February 2016.

Interview

They called me for a phone interview that went very well. Then I was scheduled for about 3 hours of interviews and lunch with the head of the department at the end. After two hours of interviews that seemed to go well with people at all levels, the head of the department showed up and cancelled the last part (lunch meeting interview) saying that her plans had changed. I asked if she at least had any questions I could answer and she refused to ask me anything. Weird! They send me an email later that day saying that they had gone with a different applicant (which was a lie because they reposted the position shortly after).

Interview Questions

• Everything and anything about UX design, product roadmap, backlog, and development that you can think of.   1 Answer

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

Went well, friendly interviewers. Chatted informally a lot, but eventually asked the harder questions. Had a chance to ask my own questions. Seemed very open and friendly. Walked away feeling confident. Office environment seemed open and active.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Didn't really negotiate. Seemed like a fair offer. Wish I had asked for slightly higher salary.