Overstock.com Interview Questions in Utah | Glassdoor

2.8

98 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in September 2014.

Interview

Very brief, no real depth to the interview. I only met with two very senior people.They would clearly take any warm body. I feel that they had already made the decision to hire based upon my resume and that the interview was just a formality. The onsite interview only lasted just over an hour.

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in September 2014.

Interview

Very casual - 2 interviews. They were more interested in hiring vs. asking questions. My advice would be to be much more discerning in understanding the job they are offering, how you will be measured, etc. The job and "level of responsibility" I was presented was vastly different from what I ended up with. Probe carefully what decisions you will be able to make and if you talk about any "future benefits/raises" get it in writing.

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in September 2014.

Interview

A phone interview, then a day of one hour interviews including a lunch offsite. Each hour a group of from two to four people interviewed me. Each group had a slightly different perspective. One group looked at my SQL skills, another group looked at my testing procedure, another group looked at my background skills such as my experience with Unix. After the final interview, a single person, the closer, talked with me about benefits, etc.

Interview Questions

• They asked several standard questions regarding SQL, simple queries, left-hand joins, etc. They wanted me make up a testing strategy for a made up simple app. They asked me how I would view a log file using unix commands.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Eventually I was able to negotiate wage and vacation time.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Valley City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Overstock.com (West Valley City, UT) in May 2014.

Interview

The manager and other financial analysts I interviewed with were great! I had such a great time learning about what the company set out to be. I had a phone screen, then an onsite interview. During the onsite interview I was invited to discuss my background with some of the employees that had been there a while. I then took a scooter ride through the building!

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in April 2014.

Interview

Mostly writing code examples for a panel of technical leads on the whiteboard. Although I felt I Although I knew the material well, and answered the questions well, I was knocked down for a few simple issues like missing a curly brace or not knowing the exact spelling of collection methods.

Photo Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

Work in Photoshop and speak one on one with Zach the Editor leda.

Interview Questions

• Technical skills in photoshop. Personal stuff was easy, just stressful to have someone watch you work in PS.   Answer Question

Business Intelligence Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

I went through a staffing agency and said I was looking for full time work and they worked with me to interview with Overstock.com.

The staffing agency did all the interfacing for me outside of the interviews (including scheduling the interviews)

For the interview, be prepared to answer SQL questions. I would recommend taking a few online SQL assessments just to brush up on the types of aggregations, joins, and the like. and be ready to write it all out by hand on a whiteboard (the assessment they give is not on a computer)

The process is fast for me, just 2 interviews. There was a general interview to get to know me and then a skill one to see how good my SQL was. After that they had an offer to me; all within 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to get into retail and do you even want to move to Salt Lake (I personally think its a great city but the interviewer did not)   Answer Question

Negotiation

I went through a staffing agency (Recommended if you don't know anyone who works here) and they handled all the negotiations for me. I named my price and they matched it so that was it.

Trainer/Project Implementation O University Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in December 2013.

Interview

Applied online. I was scheduled for an onsite interview within the week. I interviewed with two co-managers simultaneously. The asked a variety of questions about my work history and my fit for their jobs. I asked a lot about the job and company. The then gave me ten minutes to come up with a impromptu training and I had to give them a ten minute training. Afterwards they had me meet with the other two members of the training team, who asked me some more questions about my background and qualifications.

Interview Questions

• They asked questions about spreadsheet reports and data information that I had no clue about, I just answered to the best of my ability and tried to ensure them that I was capable of fulfilling their needs - basically I tried my best to make it seem like I knew what I was doing and I hoped that they bought it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They offered me a different position than I applied for. I tried to negotiate salary as they were already offering me everything else I was interested in, but they said that the position couldn't justify any increase. I first for a specific salary and expected a refusal, when I got one I tried for a compromise, but they seemed unwilling or unable to budge. I felt like they were already offering the high end of my position, since it wasn't the position I applied for. They assured me numerous times that my position would give me a lot of opportunity to impress a lot of high up people and if I did so I would have a lot of opportunity for upward mobility within a short time (1 year). That was acceptable to me.

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

After an internal referral, I was contacted by an internal recruiter who set an interview date with me for the following week. My interview was with 4 members of the team with roles ranging from developer to management.

The interview was largely unstructured and consisted of discussion regarding various aspects of my previous projects, current employment/roles, relevant interests, thoughts on several common methodologies/community projects, and so on. The tone was informal, very similar to a conversation I'd have with any other web developer I'd just met who was interested in my thoughts on our craft. We reviewed a few of my completed projects from a technical standpoint - one of the devs even spent a portion reading through my published code.

Afterward, I was given the opportunity to review my questions regarding the structure of the team and the particulars of the job requirements. I was contacted with an offer 3 hours later.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any examples of work you've done?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Immediately following the group interview, I was taken aside and asked what salary range I was seeking. Having already researched statistics for my experience in my location, I provided a $10k range. My offer contained a figure toward the high end of my range.

Front End Software Tester Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cottonwood Heights, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Cottonwood Heights, UT) in November 2013.

Interview

I applied directly through their website. Six weeks later, I was contacted by their HR recruiter.
    There were three interviews:
    1. One hour phone interview with the senior lead developer.
    2. Another one hour phone interview with three members of the front end development team.
    3. An hour face-to-face tech interview with four members of the front end development team/ QA team lead.

Interview Questions

• The first interview was "Tell me about yourself", "What do you know about us?".
      The second interview was more in depth: "A time you had a disagreement. ", "What is QA?" "Software development life cycle?", "What is Agile?".
      The third interview was in a conference room with a whiteboard. Introduction to the team, brief interpersonal skills stuff. It was supposed to have a lot of white board tech questions, but after a few in depth QA questions, they seemed to forget about the whiteboard. The senior lead came in and asked "how soon can you start if we want you?"
      The offer was made two days later.   Answer Question