Oxford University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Oxford University Interview Questions

Updated Jun 23, 2017

Professor Interview

Interview

Very stimulating interview. Smart people. Friendly demeanor. Beautiful campus. Long history of great intellectualism. Would definitely recommend this employer to other smart, research active faculty.

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxford University in January 2015.

Interview

The skype interview lasts for 25 minutes, including 5mins presentation+ 20 mins Q&A session. There are 4 panelists from the department, two directors who are in charge of general recruitment and they lead the interview and asked some very general questions, such as why did you choose this course, what are your career goals, how your experience in the past qualify you for the course and what challenges you are expecting from this course etc.
    The other two panelists are project leader and statistic expert. Asked some really tough technical questions related to the research project.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Oxford University.

Interview

I applied through university and was invited to attend a group interview session. The interview involved teamwork, working to solve a problem and present the solution to the other interviewees. This involved delegating task between the group, communicating clearly, and being positive. We were told after the interview by phone whether or not we had been offered the position. We then attended a training session before the interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a difficult summer school attendee?   Answer Question

Clinical Research Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Oxford University (Cleveland, OH) in April 2011.

Interview

The interview was very causal -- we only did a phone interview, and I was offered the job at the end of the interview. It was much more of a discussion about my preferences and ability to cope in a remote location, as the job was quite intense in rural South Africa.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation phase.

DPhil Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)).

Interview

There were basically two interviews, one before the formally applying where I met with the researchers, it was very casual, they asked me to explain to them what i previously did in my research internships. They proceeded with explaining their research project to me while asking me questions to make sure I understood. The second interview was after I was shortlisted after the formal online application process. I was sent an email and given a weekend to prepare a half-hour presentation on a relevant scientific subject that I would give during a skype interview with several members of the group. That was followed by a series of questions where they would continue with follow up questions until you couldn't answer anymore. Overall, it was pretty smooth and they were very friendly. I would advise however to prepare for the presentation very well and make sure you understand everything about what you will present. For the first step, I would advise brushing up on everything you did during your previous research projects.

Interview Questions

• What happens to the phase velocity of light when the refractive index becomes negative ?   Answer Question

Fundraiser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

I had an interview in the Development Office where I had to give a presentation on how I would approach the first two years in the position. After that I was asked a series of questions designed to test me on my suitability for the role and my motivation for applying.

Receptionist, Department of Earth Sciences Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview had 2 parts, a scenario in word and the actual interview with ruffly 10 questions. For the scenario I had 10 minutes and it was like that" you just arrived at work and you have a guest wanting to visit somebody from the department, the phone rings and an angry teacher is looking for some notes. How do you prioritise the tasks, was one of the questions. I do not remember the secOnd one. After I finished the scenario I had to wait around 10 minutes for the second part.
    The panel consisted in 2 people, one was friendly and the other one too serious. I asked for feedback since 3 week and I haven't heard frOm them since

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

I had to fill in a very long, useless online application portal that is very non user-friendly and so expensive for such low quality. The guidelines for the course was different on university and departmental websites. Following that, only few days prior to the interview date, I received invitation to the interview. The panel was late to the interview (this was only a good indication as to how rubbish they are at N***). The interview itself went very well for me with some questions that were scientific oriented and related to my knowledge in the field in addition to the boring questions like why do you want to do a phd etc..

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by HR for a skype interview appointment. They asked me to prepare a 20 minute presentation on my research that I had to submit in advance. It was a shared skype presentation, and the interviewers had printed out my slides to follow along. HR was really nice through the whole process, but after I interviewed I really didn't want the job. It was a panel interview. They were almost borderline rude. It felt more like a prelim exam then an interview.

Interview Questions

• What was my 5 year plan? Specific questions about my research. In depth questions about how to preform certain techniques.   Answer Question

Human Resources Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxford University.

Interview

The interview felt quite clinical, with the three panel members sat behind a desk together and opposite me. This did hinder good communication and seemed old fashioned. The questions were very structured and pre-set, and there wasn't any deviation from them to help us better get to know each other to understand fit. It felt very public sector and I would have expected and liked a more modern progressive approach from the interviewers. Unfortunately, the interview put me off the role, as a reflection of the culture there. Poor comms after the interview too as I was told they'd let me know by the end of the week but it turned out to be a week later than that and after I had asked for a response. They didn't give any feedback either, which is good practice to do. So overall a negative interview experience and I wouldn't apply to the university again.