Oxford University Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Oxford University Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview Questions

Updated Dec 12, 2016

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by HR for a skype interview appointment. They asked me to prepare a 20 minute presentation on my research that I had to submit in advance. It was a shared skype presentation, and the interviewers had printed out my slides to follow along. HR was really nice through the whole process, but after I interviewed I really didn't want the job. It was a panel interview. They were almost borderline rude. It felt more like a prelim exam then an interview.

Interview Questions

• What was my 5 year plan? Specific questions about my research. In depth questions about how to preform certain techniques.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Oxford University

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

The panel consisted with the PI and 2 Postdocs. I was asked to give a 10 mins presentation about my PhD work before they started to ask me question. The PI asked some theortical chemistry question to me and let me explain some of the unique characters on nanoparticle with fundamental theories.

Interview Questions

• How do you explain why infrared surface selection rule cannot apply on nanoparticle.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University.

Interview

Taking a written test, which is moderately technical for the job's position.
    Interviewing process is standard panel of HR, specialists and team leaders. Although the question is standard and straight forward, there are a few tough technical question. But not to worry, they are designed to test your reasoning.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

Saw an advertisement on the Oxford website. Emailed the Prof. He expressed strong interest in my profile since the job description was very relevant to my Ph.D. thesis. The professor advised me to submit a formal application which consists of 2 letter of recommendations, supporting statement, CV and cover letter. 7 weeks later, I got an email, inviting me for a skype interview (I am an overseas candidate). As a part of the interview, I had to present my work for 10 mins for which I had to send my presentation 3 days ahead of the interview. I was also asked to submit my transcripts and photocopy of passport. Interview consisted of 2 professors (head PI and the PI under whom I was suppose to work). 10 mins presentation and 30 mins questions, mostly on my presentation, how do I write a paper and my experiences in grad school. I was very confident in getting the job, but unfortunately after 3 reminders, I got a generic reject email. I believe that they found someone in Oxford itself for the position and they did not want to go through the trouble of bringing people from overseas.

Interview Questions

• Mostly on thesis and my presentation. What is your approach on writing a journal paper?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in August 2014.

Interview

Applied online, was contacted for a short skype interview, was invited to an in person interview. During in person interview had to talk with all the senior lab members and give a presentation.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in April 2010.

Interview

A very fast process (~1month) as I had gone directly through the research group leader. There were no problems with processing any paper work and the grant from my funding body came into effect the day I started.

Interview Questions

• I was asked what I wanted to do after my postdoc   1 Answer