Oxford University Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 14, 2018

80 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

D Phil Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)).

Interview

It was very smooth. It started with the general question then my research experience followed by some technical questions. Finally the discussion the the paper I was asked to read

Interview Questions

• Why DPhil, why oxford, why me, why not master's degree(I directly applied for DPhil after my undergrad), some general technical questions, what are your interests etc.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)).

Interview

I interviewed at the Department of Engineering Science with two interviewers. It last around 45mins. It is worth noting that interviews for prospective DPhil student do depend on the research group you are applying for and thus the number of interviewers and the duration of the interview do vary.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

The job description indicated the position reported to Professor A. I spent time applying for and preparing for the interview with this in mind. At the very end of the interview they told me the post would report to Professor B managing a very different project. A complete waste of time! I would not have applied for this position if I'd known.

Lab Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

on line cv and letter with selection criteria that I filled, then e-mail and arranged an interview. interview came with a test that I was not able to do and this made for a poor interview

Interview Questions

• why do you want job, tell us how you will organise our chemicals, given us example of conflict   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)).

Interview

There were basically two interviews, one before the formally applying where I met with the researchers, it was very casual, they asked me to explain to them what i previously did in my research internships. They proceeded with explaining their research project to me while asking me questions to make sure I understood. The second interview was after I was shortlisted after the formal online application process. I was sent an email and given a weekend to prepare a half-hour presentation on a relevant scientific subject that I would give during a skype interview with several members of the group. That was followed by a series of questions where they would continue with follow up questions until you couldn't answer anymore. Overall, it was pretty smooth and they were very friendly. I would advise however to prepare for the presentation very well and make sure you understand everything about what you will present. For the first step, I would advise brushing up on everything you did during your previous research projects.

Interview Questions

• What happens to the phase velocity of light when the refractive index becomes negative ?   Answer Question

Fundraiser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

I had an interview in the Development Office where I had to give a presentation on how I would approach the first two years in the position. After that I was asked a series of questions designed to test me on my suitability for the role and my motivation for applying.

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

30 minutes of interview with two potential supervisors. One of them barely asked any questions, the other asked me many definitions and proofs from the courses I have learned in year 1 and year 2 of my undergraduate study.

Interview Questions

• what is the definition of metric space? can you give me an example of non-linear metric space? what is Ito formula, can you prove it?   Answer Question

Receptionist, Department of Earth Sciences Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview had 2 parts, a scenario in word and the actual interview with ruffly 10 questions. For the scenario I had 10 minutes and it was like that" you just arrived at work and you have a guest wanting to visit somebody from the department, the phone rings and an angry teacher is looking for some notes. How do you prioritise the tasks, was one of the questions. I do not remember the secOnd one. After I finished the scenario I had to wait around 10 minutes for the second part.
    The panel consisted in 2 people, one was friendly and the other one too serious. I asked for feedback since 3 week and I haven't heard frOm them since

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

I had to fill in a very long, useless online application portal that is very non user-friendly and so expensive for such low quality. The guidelines for the course was different on university and departmental websites. Following that, only few days prior to the interview date, I received invitation to the interview. The panel was late to the interview (this was only a good indication as to how rubbish they are at N***). The interview itself went very well for me with some questions that were scientific oriented and related to my knowledge in the field in addition to the boring questions like why do you want to do a phd etc..

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxford University in January 2017.

Interview

Written application - CV and cover letter - followed by an interview. They were very helpful in their flexibility in the interview as I was travelling, and were sympathetic when I suffered from a poor internet connection and persevered by offering a second interview date.

Interview Questions

• What do you think you can bring to this position?   1 Answer