Oxford University Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Oxford University Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Apr 21, 2017

DPhil Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)).

Interview

There were basically two interviews, one before the formally applying where I met with the researchers, it was very casual, they asked me to explain to them what i previously did in my research internships. They proceeded with explaining their research project to me while asking me questions to make sure I understood. The second interview was after I was shortlisted after the formal online application process. I was sent an email and given a weekend to prepare a half-hour presentation on a relevant scientific subject that I would give during a skype interview with several members of the group. That was followed by a series of questions where they would continue with follow up questions until you couldn't answer anymore. Overall, it was pretty smooth and they were very friendly. I would advise however to prepare for the presentation very well and make sure you understand everything about what you will present. For the first step, I would advise brushing up on everything you did during your previous research projects.

Interview Questions

• What happens to the phase velocity of light when the refractive index becomes negative ?   Answer Question

Fundraiser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

I had an interview in the Development Office where I had to give a presentation on how I would approach the first two years in the position. After that I was asked a series of questions designed to test me on my suitability for the role and my motivation for applying.

Receptionist, Department of Earth Sciences Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview had 2 parts, a scenario in word and the actual interview with ruffly 10 questions. For the scenario I had 10 minutes and it was like that" you just arrived at work and you have a guest wanting to visit somebody from the department, the phone rings and an angry teacher is looking for some notes. How do you prioritise the tasks, was one of the questions. I do not remember the secOnd one. After I finished the scenario I had to wait around 10 minutes for the second part.
    The panel consisted in 2 people, one was friendly and the other one too serious. I asked for feedback since 3 week and I haven't heard frOm them since

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by HR for a skype interview appointment. They asked me to prepare a 20 minute presentation on my research that I had to submit in advance. It was a shared skype presentation, and the interviewers had printed out my slides to follow along. HR was really nice through the whole process, but after I interviewed I really didn't want the job. It was a panel interview. They were almost borderline rude. It felt more like a prelim exam then an interview.

Interview Questions

• What was my 5 year plan? Specific questions about my research. In depth questions about how to preform certain techniques.   Answer Question

Human Resources Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxford University.

Interview

The interview felt quite clinical, with the three panel members sat behind a desk together and opposite me. This did hinder good communication and seemed old fashioned. The questions were very structured and pre-set, and there wasn't any deviation from them to help us better get to know each other to understand fit. It felt very public sector and I would have expected and liked a more modern progressive approach from the interviewers. Unfortunately, the interview put me off the role, as a reflection of the culture there. Poor comms after the interview too as I was told they'd let me know by the end of the week but it turned out to be a week later than that and after I had asked for a response. They didn't give any feedback either, which is good practice to do. So overall a negative interview experience and I wouldn't apply to the university again.

Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

Panel of two people. Very relaxed interview, alot of information about the company and the role given. Not many questions asked - eg: What do you expect from a manager, Tell us about a difficult situation and how you dealt with it, what do you know about the business. Nice interviewers.

Interview Questions

• What do you expect from a manager   1 Answer

Scholar Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)).

Interview

Rigorous interview, well researched interviewer, rounded questions, check for personality, opinions, background, ambition and cultural fit.

Short, but pleasant interview, strong culture and good positioning of opportunity. Good to do research on the setup and structure, as well as what makes this unique.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Oxford University.

Interview

I applied online and after 2 weeks I was asked to attend an interview. Upon arrival, I was given a tour of the department. This was followed by a panel interview consisting of two members. Both the interviewees were friendly and took turns to ask competence based questions. This was followed by a skills test which consisted of a excel test a scenario based test. I had to contact the university after one week and was informed that I was unsuccessful.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

The panel consisted with the PI and 2 Postdocs. I was asked to give a 10 mins presentation about my PhD work before they started to ask me question. The PI asked some theortical chemistry question to me and let me explain some of the unique characters on nanoparticle with fundamental theories.

Interview Questions

• How do you explain why infrared surface selection rule cannot apply on nanoparticle.   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

The candidate gives a half an hour talk about some research topic of their choice to an audience comprised by members of the department that have interest in their application. Questions about the topic are made, followed by general questions about physics, and some discussion about available funding.

Interview Questions

• If the photon carries only spin 1, how is it possible that an atom absorbs a photon and gains more angular momentum than hbar?   1 Answer