Oxford University Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

3.1

25 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

D Phil Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)).

Interview

It was very smooth. It started with the general question then my research experience followed by some technical questions. Finally the discussion the the paper I was asked to read

Interview Questions

• Why DPhil, why oxford, why me, why not master's degree(I directly applied for DPhil after my undergrad), some general technical questions, what are your interests etc.   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

The job description indicated the position reported to Professor A. I spent time applying for and preparing for the interview with this in mind. At the very end of the interview they told me the post would report to Professor B managing a very different project. A complete waste of time! I would not have applied for this position if I'd known.

Lab Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

on line cv and letter with selection criteria that I filled, then e-mail and arranged an interview. interview came with a test that I was not able to do and this made for a poor interview

Interview Questions

• why do you want job, tell us how you will organise our chemicals, given us example of conflict   1 Answer

Receptionist, Department of Earth Sciences Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview had 2 parts, a scenario in word and the actual interview with ruffly 10 questions. For the scenario I had 10 minutes and it was like that" you just arrived at work and you have a guest wanting to visit somebody from the department, the phone rings and an angry teacher is looking for some notes. How do you prioritise the tasks, was one of the questions. I do not remember the secOnd one. After I finished the scenario I had to wait around 10 minutes for the second part.
    The panel consisted in 2 people, one was friendly and the other one too serious. I asked for feedback since 3 week and I haven't heard frOm them since

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by HR for a skype interview appointment. They asked me to prepare a 20 minute presentation on my research that I had to submit in advance. It was a shared skype presentation, and the interviewers had printed out my slides to follow along. HR was really nice through the whole process, but after I interviewed I really didn't want the job. It was a panel interview. They were almost borderline rude. It felt more like a prelim exam then an interview.

Interview Questions

• What was my 5 year plan? Specific questions about my research. In depth questions about how to preform certain techniques.   Answer Question

Human Resources Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxford University.

Interview

The interview felt quite clinical, with the three panel members sat behind a desk together and opposite me. This did hinder good communication and seemed old fashioned. The questions were very structured and pre-set, and there wasn't any deviation from them to help us better get to know each other to understand fit. It felt very public sector and I would have expected and liked a more modern progressive approach from the interviewers. Unfortunately, the interview put me off the role, as a reflection of the culture there. Poor comms after the interview too as I was told they'd let me know by the end of the week but it turned out to be a week later than that and after I had asked for a response. They didn't give any feedback either, which is good practice to do. So overall a negative interview experience and I wouldn't apply to the university again.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Oxford University.

Interview

I applied online and after 2 weeks I was asked to attend an interview. Upon arrival, I was given a tour of the department. This was followed by a panel interview consisting of two members. Both the interviewees were friendly and took turns to ask competence based questions. This was followed by a skills test which consisted of a excel test a scenario based test. I had to contact the university after one week and was informed that I was unsuccessful.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

The panel consisted with the PI and 2 Postdocs. I was asked to give a 10 mins presentation about my PhD work before they started to ask me question. The PI asked some theortical chemistry question to me and let me explain some of the unique characters on nanoparticle with fundamental theories.

Interview Questions

• How do you explain why infrared surface selection rule cannot apply on nanoparticle.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in February 2016.

Interview

The Skype interview last for 1h 5 minutes, panel were nice and they created a comfortable atmosphere. The panel include 4 people: project supervisor, two senior research staffs, a HR. First I gave a presentation about my PhD work, then the Q&A followed. They asked very limited questions about my work, instead, the questions were focusing much on their research. It seems they like you to have similar background with them, although the job might actually require very different skills and expertise. They also asked technical questions, but those were very general and basic, not difficult to answer as long as you have related experience and training.

Interview Questions

• HR question: Are you good at time management ?
                           Have you ever got rejected in UK visa application ?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in December 2015.

Interview

2 step interview process, presentation to make on specific case study. It seems that no matter how good your CV is, your performance during the first interview, or content of your presentation, you are judged only on your answers of the second interview. I was interview by different people during the first and second round....annoyingly, they repeated some questions which was quite off-putting.

Interview Questions

• Very much HR interview, give example of situation when.... why should we hire you, why this company, why this position, what are you doing currently   Answer Question