Oxford University Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 2, 2017

3.1

Receptionist, Department of Earth Sciences Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview had 2 parts, a scenario in word and the actual interview with ruffly 10 questions. For the scenario I had 10 minutes and it was like that" you just arrived at work and you have a guest wanting to visit somebody from the department, the phone rings and an angry teacher is looking for some notes. How do you prioritise the tasks, was one of the questions. I do not remember the secOnd one. After I finished the scenario I had to wait around 10 minutes for the second part.
    The panel consisted in 2 people, one was friendly and the other one too serious. I asked for feedback since 3 week and I haven't heard frOm them since

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by HR for a skype interview appointment. They asked me to prepare a 20 minute presentation on my research that I had to submit in advance. It was a shared skype presentation, and the interviewers had printed out my slides to follow along. HR was really nice through the whole process, but after I interviewed I really didn't want the job. It was a panel interview. They were almost borderline rude. It felt more like a prelim exam then an interview.

Interview Questions

• What was my 5 year plan? Specific questions about my research. In depth questions about how to preform certain techniques.   Answer Question

Human Resources Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxford University.

Interview

The interview felt quite clinical, with the three panel members sat behind a desk together and opposite me. This did hinder good communication and seemed old fashioned. The questions were very structured and pre-set, and there wasn't any deviation from them to help us better get to know each other to understand fit. It felt very public sector and I would have expected and liked a more modern progressive approach from the interviewers. Unfortunately, the interview put me off the role, as a reflection of the culture there. Poor comms after the interview too as I was told they'd let me know by the end of the week but it turned out to be a week later than that and after I had asked for a response. They didn't give any feedback either, which is good practice to do. So overall a negative interview experience and I wouldn't apply to the university again.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Oxford University.

Interview

I applied online and after 2 weeks I was asked to attend an interview. Upon arrival, I was given a tour of the department. This was followed by a panel interview consisting of two members. Both the interviewees were friendly and took turns to ask competence based questions. This was followed by a skills test which consisted of a excel test a scenario based test. I had to contact the university after one week and was informed that I was unsuccessful.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

The panel consisted with the PI and 2 Postdocs. I was asked to give a 10 mins presentation about my PhD work before they started to ask me question. The PI asked some theortical chemistry question to me and let me explain some of the unique characters on nanoparticle with fundamental theories.

Interview Questions

• How do you explain why infrared surface selection rule cannot apply on nanoparticle.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in February 2016.

Interview

The Skype interview last for 1h 5 minutes, panel were nice and they created a comfortable atmosphere. The panel include 4 people: project supervisor, two senior research staffs, a HR. First I gave a presentation about my PhD work, then the Q&A followed. They asked very limited questions about my work, instead, the questions were focusing much on their research. It seems they like you to have similar background with them, although the job might actually require very different skills and expertise. They also asked technical questions, but those were very general and basic, not difficult to answer as long as you have related experience and training.

Interview Questions

• HR question: Are you good at time management ?
                           Have you ever got rejected in UK visa application ?
      Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in December 2015.

Interview

2 step interview process, presentation to make on specific case study. It seems that no matter how good your CV is, your performance during the first interview, or content of your presentation, you are judged only on your answers of the second interview. I was interview by different people during the first and second round....annoyingly, they repeated some questions which was quite off-putting.

Interview Questions

• Very much HR interview, give example of situation when.... why should we hire you, why this company, why this position, what are you doing currently   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in November 2015.

Interview

It was a skype interview which started with a 5 min presentation on my relevant research experience. There were 4 basic research scientists on my panel and I was mostly asked technical questions with 1 or 2 on my career directions. The entire interview lasted about 30 min and it was a positive experience overall.

Interview Questions

• Are you going to do a PhD?   1 Answer

Clinical Trial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)).

Interview

I applied for a CTA position on the University's website. A few days after the submission deadline, I was contacted to attend an interview in Oxford a week or so later. The HR person I was contacted by was rather lax. They told me the interview would include a written test but could not tell me what the test would be about. They also said I should keep my receipts because "reasonable expenses" incurred to attend the interview could be claimed back. When I showed up on the day, they said I could have told them I had to fly in for the interview, as they would have been open to a Skype interview in that case. This was regardless of the fact that my current country of residence was clearly indicated in my job application. The interview itself was with a 3-people panel including an investigator involved in the trial. Although the panelists did not go out of their way to be friendly, the atmosphere during the interview was not tense and the questions were rather straightforward. Unfortunately, the Department is now refusing to refund my travel expenses because they have been deemed "not reasonable". Considering I was very parsimonious (low cost flight, 1 night in a B&B, cheap meals), I wonder what would have been considered reasonable. I would not recommend interviewing here unless you have money to waste.

Interview Questions

• After being given time to read the overview of a clinical trial, I was asked to explain what it was about.   Answer Question

Library Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in August 2015.

Interview

The whole process took around an hour. I was given a tour of the library, then asked to do a practical task involving the shelving and cataloguing of books. Prior library experience was not necessarily required for this as there was a sheet of instructions for you to follow. Finally, I had a half-hour interview with a panel of three, who read out questions from a script about each of the points in the job description. I was asked to give examples from past roles of times when I had fulfilled each criterion.

Everyone I met was very friendly and I got the impression it was a pleasant and relaxed place to work in. The library were very generous in paying all my travel expenses, and even paid for me to stay in Oxford the night before and have a meal, as I had come from too far away to do a day trip.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you received good customer service. Now describe a time when you yourself gave good customer service.   Answer Question