Oxford University Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Oxford University Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Aug 8, 2017

69 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Oxford University (London, England (UK)) in May 2014.

Interview

It was an in person interview with the head of the Psychology wing of the National Hospital. I had to travel all the way from Oxford to London and was only given 5 minutes time to introduce myself and a fully funded project.

Interview Questions

• There were no questions. I was met with nothing more than "I am sorry but we have no room for you. Thank you for coming".   1 Answer

Undergraduate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in October 2012.

Interview

Applied using the UK online application system, and wrote a personal statement for this. In retrospect I have been told that this should only be focussed on the chosen area of study. Had two interviews for taking biochemistry.

Interview Questions

• What happens to bacterial cells vs red blood cells when placed in water? Write and solve an equilibrium equation for the reaction between (two given chemicals). Do you think the high humidity in rainforests is good or bad for plants?   Answer Question

Negotiation

there was none...

Lab Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

on line cv and letter with selection criteria that I filled, then e-mail and arranged an interview. interview came with a test that I was not able to do and this made for a poor interview

Interview Questions

• why do you want job, tell us how you will organise our chemicals, given us example of conflict   1 Answer

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in March 2013.

Interview

Varies from supervisor to supervisor so hard to generalise. I was asked what my favourite chemical element was. Upon answering (palladium - possibly a poor choice), I was up on the whiteboard drawing a few mechanisms and getting quizzed on them. After this it was more informal, and an opportunity for me to ask questions.

Basically, if you answer a question, be prepared to be able to back it up. I was definitely grateful that I knew my palladium-based mechanisms pretty well.

Conversely, if you don't know something, they're more looking for ability to work it out - i.e. don't give up, just go logically through stuff.

Interview Questions

• What is your favourite chemical element?   1 Answer

DPhil Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in January 2013.

Interview

I applied for a full studentship at the University of Oxford to study Neuroscience. They invited about 40 candidates and interviewed us over two days. My interview took about 20 minutes. I presented my research infront of a panel of eight University lecturers. The lecturers were tired after a day full of interviews. I got their attention with an engaging presentation, that included a video, audio and slide effects. After my presentation two of the eight panel members asked questions on my research. I learned later, that both of them had a background in what I was doing. The lecturers were friendly and their questions were insightful and tough.

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

The candidate gives a half an hour talk about some research topic of their choice to an audience comprised by members of the department that have interest in their application. Questions about the topic are made, followed by general questions about physics, and some discussion about available funding.

Interview Questions

• If the photon carries only spin 1, how is it possible that an atom absorbs a photon and gains more angular momentum than hbar?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University in December 2014.

Interview

It was arranged skype interview. I had two 30 minutes interviews - one for Economics and one for Management. In each there were two people from the department present. Personal statement was discussed briefly.

Interview Questions

• 1) Tell us about yourself.
      2) What would you do if you were a CEO of a company making losses
      3) Technical cost related questions for Economics plus a brain teaser   1 Answer

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by HR for a skype interview appointment. They asked me to prepare a 20 minute presentation on my research that I had to submit in advance. It was a shared skype presentation, and the interviewers had printed out my slides to follow along. HR was really nice through the whole process, but after I interviewed I really didn't want the job. It was a panel interview. They were almost borderline rude. It felt more like a prelim exam then an interview.

Interview Questions

• What was my 5 year plan? Specific questions about my research. In depth questions about how to preform certain techniques.   Answer Question

Chemistry Major Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in November 2013.

Interview

Hard but stimulating. You get the opportunity to meet a lot of clever interesting people and even make life-long friends whether you get accepted or not. It is quite a stressful and daunting experience but you should consider it an opportunity to learn and prepare for future interviews. By the end you'll know if the university is for you or not.

Scholar Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)).

Interview

Rigorous interview, well researched interviewer, rounded questions, check for personality, opinions, background, ambition and cultural fit.

Short, but pleasant interview, strong culture and good positioning of opportunity. Good to do research on the setup and structure, as well as what makes this unique.