Oxford University Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Oxford University Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Mar 21, 2017

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

The candidate gives a half an hour talk about some research topic of their choice to an audience comprised by members of the department that have interest in their application. Questions about the topic are made, followed by general questions about physics, and some discussion about available funding.

Interview Questions

• If the photon carries only spin 1, how is it possible that an atom absorbs a photon and gains more angular momentum than hbar?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University in December 2014.

Interview

It was arranged skype interview. I had two 30 minutes interviews - one for Economics and one for Management. In each there were two people from the department present. Personal statement was discussed briefly.

Interview Questions

• 1) Tell us about yourself.
      2) What would you do if you were a CEO of a company making losses
      3) Technical cost related questions for Economics plus a brain teaser
      1 Answer

DPhil Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)).

Interview

There were basically two interviews, one before the formally applying where I met with the researchers, it was very casual, they asked me to explain to them what i previously did in my research internships. They proceeded with explaining their research project to me while asking me questions to make sure I understood. The second interview was after I was shortlisted after the formal online application process. I was sent an email and given a weekend to prepare a half-hour presentation on a relevant scientific subject that I would give during a skype interview with several members of the group. That was followed by a series of questions where they would continue with follow up questions until you couldn't answer anymore. Overall, it was pretty smooth and they were very friendly. I would advise however to prepare for the presentation very well and make sure you understand everything about what you will present. For the first step, I would advise brushing up on everything you did during your previous research projects.

Interview Questions

• What happens to the phase velocity of light when the refractive index becomes negative ?   Answer Question

Receptionist, Department of Earth Sciences Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview had 2 parts, a scenario in word and the actual interview with ruffly 10 questions. For the scenario I had 10 minutes and it was like that" you just arrived at work and you have a guest wanting to visit somebody from the department, the phone rings and an angry teacher is looking for some notes. How do you prioritise the tasks, was one of the questions. I do not remember the secOnd one. After I finished the scenario I had to wait around 10 minutes for the second part.
    The panel consisted in 2 people, one was friendly and the other one too serious. I asked for feedback since 3 week and I haven't heard frOm them since

Master Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oxford University in January 2016.

Interview

There are several deadlines but do meet the earliest one because it can increases your chance of getting in. There is an online application to fille, 2 essays to submit, one personal statement, followed by a skype interview. The interview lasts for 30 mins with 2 interviewers. They are pretty friendly but do dress up.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions such as why this program and why this major. Make sure you have a decent level of understanding for the program structure   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by HR for a skype interview appointment. They asked me to prepare a 20 minute presentation on my research that I had to submit in advance. It was a shared skype presentation, and the interviewers had printed out my slides to follow along. HR was really nice through the whole process, but after I interviewed I really didn't want the job. It was a panel interview. They were almost borderline rude. It felt more like a prelim exam then an interview.

Interview Questions

• What was my 5 year plan? Specific questions about my research. In depth questions about how to preform certain techniques.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

The panel consisted with the PI and 2 Postdocs. I was asked to give a 10 mins presentation about my PhD work before they started to ask me question. The PI asked some theortical chemistry question to me and let me explain some of the unique characters on nanoparticle with fundamental theories.

Interview Questions

• How do you explain why infrared surface selection rule cannot apply on nanoparticle.   Answer Question

Human Resources Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxford University.

Interview

The interview felt quite clinical, with the three panel members sat behind a desk together and opposite me. This did hinder good communication and seemed old fashioned. The questions were very structured and pre-set, and there wasn't any deviation from them to help us better get to know each other to understand fit. It felt very public sector and I would have expected and liked a more modern progressive approach from the interviewers. Unfortunately, the interview put me off the role, as a reflection of the culture there. Poor comms after the interview too as I was told they'd let me know by the end of the week but it turned out to be a week later than that and after I had asked for a response. They didn't give any feedback either, which is good practice to do. So overall a negative interview experience and I wouldn't apply to the university again.

Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

Panel of two people. Very relaxed interview, alot of information about the company and the role given. Not many questions asked - eg: What do you expect from a manager, Tell us about a difficult situation and how you dealt with it, what do you know about the business. Nice interviewers.

Interview Questions

• What do you expect from a manager   1 Answer

Postdoctoral Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in April 2013.

Interview

Applied online. Informed there was an interview.
    Gave an oral presentation. Answered simple questions. They told you the results right after.
    Too simple in my lab I think. In other lab, it should be more difficult.