PNNL Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

PNNL Interview Questions

Updated Feb 13, 2018

2.6

Interview

I applied in January and heard back by email a few months (mid to late April) later setting up a phone interview. The interview was with 2 technical employees who asked me a few different questions of their choosing. I received an offer about a week after the interview. The employees were friendly and the interview was very comfortable.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PNNL.

Interview

one phone interview with direct manager, prospective mentor and three other colleagues. It takes about 30 minutes. They asked most of the questions based on what you write on your resume. it's very likely that they ask you the items with quantitative outcomes.

Interview Questions

• Asked questions on your resume for a detailed description of previous experience.
      How would you handle a disagreement?
      What's your understanding of hazard communication?   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richland, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PNNL (Richland, WA).

Interview

The interview process is done in front of an interview panel of four staff members. Questions vary from questions about your past experience to how you would handle a given situation. All were friendly and put you at ease.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle competing priorities.   1 Answer

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PNNL (Washington, DC) in July 2017.

Interview

Got a phone interview after 2 months of application. The interviewer asked me to set the available time and called me. He asked about the CV and technical skills and when can I start to work.

Interview Questions

• How closely you work with your advisor when writing the paper?   Answer Question

Statistician Interview

Application

I interviewed at PNNL in July 2017.

Interview

It was an informational interview. We just chatted about my research and the projects that the interviewers have worked on during their long tenure at PNNL. We talked about the funding structure and work-life balance.

Interview Questions

• (Rephrased:) How would you deal with a classification problem where p>>n?   Answer Question
    • Are you motivated to publish and attend conferences?   Answer Question

Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richland, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PNNL (Richland, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

On-site interview. Did not get interview itinerary until arrival and the interview was 4+ hours without warning. Confusion between interviewers and scheduling. Scheduled interviewers did not participate and halfway through the interview the scheduled conference room was taken. Was not paid back for hours of driving when it was said it would be done.

Several one on one interviews with candidate. Group interviews (2 or more current techs and manager etc.) of candidate. Tour of area that would be applicable to job. Lunch and further interviewing.

Ran into some interviewers that belittled "technicians" for their rankings right in front of their cubicles. Interviewer commenting on colleagues on hiring practices and not liking another for not having the right degree, but having to have to meet the "Scientist" quota. "I think all bachelors level graduates should be technicians" was one of the first comments from a lead scientist.

Fortunately, manager was courteous and professional as well as some supervisors met. They described PNNL as a great place with many opportunities. Some technicians were professional, laid back, and down to earth.

Negative review is due to unprofessional scheduling, reimbursement, and some inappropriate comments and questions.

Research Scientist Interview

Interview

Met with team members from allied areas during one day visit. Everyone was punctual, cordial, and well-organized. Closing interviews were with HR and team lead. Overall a very professional and positive experience.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience in grant-writing?   1 Answer

Data Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at PNNL.

Interview

I got a phone call first last about half an hour and a coding task involving a few dataset preprocessing problems. Then in the follow up later I was assigned a small data analysis project.

PhDNumerical Optimization Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PNNL in March 2017.

Interview

I had a phone interview with around 4 people on conference call. Most of the questions were resume based — talk about my experience with different projects. The interviewers interrupted me often but literally just asked me what I had been speaking which clearly indicated that they were not listening whatsoever. (This happened multiple times.)

The interviewer never bothered to let me know of their decision despite a follow-up email which the person responded to: "Thank you for contacting us. We will revisit your files."

But I never heard back from them after that.

PhD Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at PNNL (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2017.

Interview

There is one phone interview from the supervisor and general questions about your research will be asked. The type of questions largely depends on the type of research you do, but they are usually non-technical. The interview will be followed by a background check which takes about a week.