PNNL Interview Questions | Glassdoor

PNNL Interview Questions

Updated Jun 13, 2017

2.6

Research Scientist Interview

Interview

Met with team members from allied areas during one day visit. Everyone was punctual, cordial, and well-organized. Closing interviews were with HR and team lead. Overall a very professional and positive experience.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience in grant-writing?   1 Answer

Data Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at PNNL.

Interview

I got a phone call first last about half an hour and a coding task involving a few dataset preprocessing problems. Then in the follow up later I was assigned a small data analysis project.

PhDNumerical Optimization Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PNNL in March 2017.

Interview

I had a phone interview with around 4 people on conference call. Most of the questions were resume based — talk about my experience with different projects. The interviewers interrupted me often but literally just asked me what I had been speaking which clearly indicated that they were not listening whatsoever. (This happened multiple times.)

The interviewer never bothered to let me know of their decision despite a follow-up email which the person responded to: "Thank you for contacting us. We will revisit your files."

But I never heard back from them after that.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richland, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at PNNL (Richland, WA).

Interview

Several panel interviews, including a panel of administrative peers and one of managers and a few staff.

Process seems very slow and takes forever to hear from anyone, I got the impression during the process that this is normal and everything works at a slower pace due to outdated procedures.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you had to complete a work assignment with little or no guidance   Answer Question
    • Discuss a time when you had to deal with confidential information.   Answer Question
    • How do you manage multiple, competing priorities?   Answer Question
    • Provide an example of a time management skill you have learned and applied at work and how it has improved your productivity.   Answer Question
    • Often, one must take on a leadership role within a team to help drive a project to completion. When have you done this and how did you hold yourself and others accountable?   Answer Question
    • Provide an example of when you had to take accountability for a mistake or failure at work.   Answer Question
    • When standards are too high, they can delay or even impede results. Perfection can paralyze. When has this been true for you?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to quickly learn a new skill to handle a changing work environment.   Answer Question

Post Masters Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richland, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at PNNL (Richland, WA).

Interview

I had a phone interview that went well. This moved me to the face-to-face process. I met 3-4 people in a conference room and we discussed my work history and other details.

Interview Questions

• They wanted to know my skills in Microsoft Office and how I handled conflicting tasks.   Answer Question

Post Doctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at PNNL (New York, NY).

Interview

Emailed the group head about research interests and was asked to apply to a specific position on the jobs page at pnnl. After a few weeks had a phone interview and was scheduled for an onsite. Met with many scientists from the larger group and they were willing to answer questions regarding the role and pnnl.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at PNNL.

Interview

First one is like resume screening and second one is Technical interview over skype. It was good.
    It was not hard but felt like questions were similar. If the spouse works for the same company, it would be an additional advantage.

Interview Questions

• Interview was on the technology that I put in my resume.   Answer Question

Masters Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PNNL.

Interview

They told me I got the interview two weeks ahead. In the interview there were some questions like "What risks have you taken?" , "How do you keep your skills up to date?", "What do you like about PNNL" etc..

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richland, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at PNNL (Richland, WA).

Interview

Refered by my PhD advisor and then got a phone interview. 2 weeks layer invited to on site interview that took a whole day, including presentation, meeting with other scientists and current postdocs

Research Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at PNNL in October 2016.

Interview

Submitted online application, about 4 weeks later had a phone interview. The phone interview took about 1 hour, they asked lots of questions mostly about my previous works and experience. After 45 minutes I answered, they gave me a chance to ask them my questions.