PNNL Interview Questions | Glassdoor

PNNL Interview Questions

Updated Jul 12, 2018

2.6

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at PNNL.

Interview

First one is like resume screening and second one is Technical interview over skype. It was good.
    It was not hard but felt like questions were similar. If the spouse works for the same company, it would be an additional advantage.

Interview Questions

• Interview was on the technology that I put in my resume.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richland, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PNNL (Richland, WA) in September 2016.

Interview

Reached out to a recruiter on LinkedIn. Since then I have been blocked by the recruiter and managers. Had a screening call, then a one-on-one. Then a panel interview. The panel was the worst. There were 5 unhappy looking people and they asked questions like an interrogation. None of them smiled once. Obviously didn't want to be there any longer than they had to.

Interview Questions

• Trick question! If someone came to you for a request for data, what would you do?   1 Answer
    • Questions on active directory, authorizations, databases.   1 Answer

Staff Scientist II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richland, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at PNNL (Richland, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received an email a month later for a phone interview. The phone interview was a two way discussion that went well, and I was later flown out for an on campus interview. The on campus interview lasted all day from 8:00 through dinner and included a 1-hour presentation.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were about my previous research or otherwise fairly standard. e.g. what do you want to do in 5 years, what are your hobbies, do you have any questions for us, ect.   Answer Question

Statistician Interview

Application

I interviewed at PNNL in July 2017.

Interview

It was an informational interview. We just chatted about my research and the projects that the interviewers have worked on during their long tenure at PNNL. We talked about the funding structure and work-life balance.

Interview Questions

• (Rephrased:) How would you deal with a classification problem where p>>n?   Answer Question
    • Are you motivated to publish and attend conferences?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at PNNL.

Interview

I received a call to interview 2 weeks after applying online. The interview took place in Richland. I was interviewed by 2 people with whom I would be working. The interview was easy and relaxed. I still have not heard anything after 4 weeks. Although the website for PNNL still has me listed as "Route."

Interview Questions

• They asked me if I preferred working alone or with a group.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richland, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at PNNL (Richland, WA).

Interview

Several panel interviews, including a panel of administrative peers and one of managers and a few staff.

Process seems very slow and takes forever to hear from anyone, I got the impression during the process that this is normal and everything works at a slower pace due to outdated procedures.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you had to complete a work assignment with little or no guidance   Answer Question
    • Discuss a time when you had to deal with confidential information.   Answer Question
    • How do you manage multiple, competing priorities?   Answer Question
    • Provide an example of a time management skill you have learned and applied at work and how it has improved your productivity.   Answer Question
    • Often, one must take on a leadership role within a team to help drive a project to completion. When have you done this and how did you hold yourself and others accountable?   Answer Question
    • Provide an example of when you had to take accountability for a mistake or failure at work.   Answer Question
    • When standards are too high, they can delay or even impede results. Perfection can paralyze. When has this been true for you?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to quickly learn a new skill to handle a changing work environment.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant III Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PNNL.

Interview

The interview was about 45 minutes. The thing that is unsettling is the wait. After 2 weeks no email, or update to status. If you reach out to them they don't respond. The system will finally update to just not selected after 2 months with no courtesy email.

Interview Questions

• The questions were mainly HR related, ethical ones to see your personality.   Answer Question

Help Desk Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at PNNL in May 2015.

Interview

I went through a short phone screen, and then an hour long in-person interview. The interview was with the group manager, team lead, and the person who was going to be the mentor. It was an enjoyable experience and every one had a great time. The best part was me talking about how Mac’s were not very useful outside media editing and the group manager was using a Mac. I noticed, everyone laughed, got the internship.

Interview Questions

• What would you tell the Assistant Lab Director if they came in to the Help Desk asking for more e-mail space?   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at PNNL.

Interview

I applied online via PNNL's website. A month later I received a call to set up an interview time. After the interview, I didn't hear back for over a month due to how heavily they recruit out of other universities.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were based on previous experiences / resumes.   1 Answer

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richland, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PNNL (Richland, WA).

Interview

The interview process is done in front of an interview panel of four staff members. Questions vary from questions about your past experience to how you would handle a given situation. All were friendly and put you at ease.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle competing priorities.   1 Answer