PNNL Interview Questions in Richland, WA | Glassdoor

2.8

25 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richland, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PNNL (Richland, WA).

Interview

The interview process is done in front of an interview panel of four staff members. Questions vary from questions about your past experience to how you would handle a given situation. All were friendly and put you at ease.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle competing priorities.   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richland, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at PNNL (Richland, WA).

Interview

Several panel interviews, including a panel of administrative peers and one of managers and a few staff.

Process seems very slow and takes forever to hear from anyone, I got the impression during the process that this is normal and everything works at a slower pace due to outdated procedures.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you had to complete a work assignment with little or no guidance   Answer Question
    • Discuss a time when you had to deal with confidential information.   Answer Question
    • How do you manage multiple, competing priorities?   Answer Question
    • Provide an example of a time management skill you have learned and applied at work and how it has improved your productivity.   Answer Question
    • Often, one must take on a leadership role within a team to help drive a project to completion. When have you done this and how did you hold yourself and others accountable?   Answer Question
    • Provide an example of when you had to take accountability for a mistake or failure at work.   Answer Question
    • When standards are too high, they can delay or even impede results. Perfection can paralyze. When has this been true for you?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to quickly learn a new skill to handle a changing work environment.   Answer Question

Post Masters Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richland, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at PNNL (Richland, WA).

Interview

I had a phone interview that went well. This moved me to the face-to-face process. I met 3-4 people in a conference room and we discussed my work history and other details.

Interview Questions

• They wanted to know my skills in Microsoft Office and how I handled conflicting tasks.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richland, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at PNNL (Richland, WA).

Interview

Refered by my PhD advisor and then got a phone interview. 2 weeks layer invited to on site interview that took a whole day, including presentation, meeting with other scientists and current postdocs

Post Doctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richland, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at PNNL (Richland, WA).

Interview

Multi-person interview format starting early in the morning. Be prepared to field questions, talk about your research and engage in comfortable chit-chat. 45 minute research seminar with questions. Many stages to the interview including phone screen, 1:1 and group interview format. Very friendly and excellent questions from these folk.

Interview Questions

• What direction do you see your career headed?
      Do you know this person? (I did.) What do you think of them?
      What was your experience like at (institution) where you did (research)?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Painless.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richland, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PNNL (Richland, WA) in September 2016.

Interview

Reached out to a recruiter on LinkedIn. Since then I have been blocked by the recruiter and managers. Had a screening call, then a one-on-one. Then a panel interview. The panel was the worst. There were 5 unhappy looking people and they asked questions like an interrogation. None of them smiled once. Obviously didn't want to be there any longer than they had to.

Interview Questions

• Trick question! If someone came to you for a request for data, what would you do?   1 Answer
    • Questions on active directory, authorizations, databases.   1 Answer

Tech Intern IV Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richland, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at PNNL (Richland, WA) in March 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter in late February who encouraged me to apply for a position with the lab, and later we discussed the potential positions over a phone conversation.

The next business day after submitting my application, I was contacted over the phone to schedule an interview within the next 3 days with a few of lab members that actually weren't with the group I applied with. The interview was very relaxed, even though there were essentially 3 people interviewing me at once. They really just wanted to hear more about the projects on my resume. After that interview I was contacted by one of the interviewers who asked that I apply to one of two additional positions in the group she's a part of. I applied to one of those and received an offer a few weeks later (after a mini background check).

A few weeks later (before accepting the offer) I was contacted by a member of the group I originally applied with via email to conduct a short interview, which essentially was for me to ask questions about the internship and for them to give me additional information.

Full process has been about 6 weeks from initial contact with recruiter to accepting an offer.

Interview Questions

• Questions about resume and projects, favorite programming language, etc   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation (they give you a level based on your past experience)

Post Masters Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richland, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at PNNL (Richland, WA) in August 2015.

Interview

Conducted entirely over the phone, they asked mostly technical questions and experiences from my resume. The time between when I applied and got the call for an interview was several months, but not a lot moves quickly with a government lab.

Interview Questions

• What do you do in your free time?   1 Answer

Staff Scientist II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richland, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at PNNL (Richland, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received an email a month later for a phone interview. The phone interview was a two way discussion that went well, and I was later flown out for an on campus interview. The on campus interview lasted all day from 8:00 through dinner and included a 1-hour presentation.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were about my previous research or otherwise fairly standard. e.g. what do you want to do in 5 years, what are your hobbies, do you have any questions for us, ect.   Answer Question

Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richland, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at PNNL (Richland, WA) in June 2014.

Interview

7:30 am having breakfast with group manager, security check in, 9:30am one-hour presentation and Q/A, 12:00pm lunch with group manager and colleagues, 2 on 1 interview for the rest of the day, 5:00pm interview with HR

Interview Questions

• How do you proceed your research in a "non-ideal" world in which many assumptions in your research don't hold?   Answer Question